Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Vorbis Tools Compile For Windows? (Read 6049 times) previous topic - next topic

Vorbis Tools Compile For Windows?

Hello, I had used Vorbis Tools a couple of years ago, and had tagged some files with Artist, title & some comments. I remember there was some little program with a name like 'vorbis comment' (I might be wrong)

I went back to the official OGG site just now and have been clicking around trying to get a recent binary package of Vorbis Tools but can't find a place. Even on Rarewares there is no package for Vorbis Tools 
I did find one package eventually after going around almost in circles which is here:
http://downloads.xiph.org/releases/vorbis/...tools-1.1.1.zip
But it's source files.

The new Xiph sites do look nice but I think it would be much better if there were the basic Vorbis Tools easily available for users!... 

Can anyone make a windows binary available for the above 27th June 2005 version 1.1.1 Vorbis Tools? Thanks very much anyone that does

Reply #2
You can't get vorbiscomment (which is a part of vorbis-tools) from Rarewares, AFAICT.

Xiph.org seems to have stopped providing binaries. Maybe Rarewares could start providing Win32 builds in the future..?

Reply #3
I'll provide a compile of vorbis-comment in an hour, or two.

Reply #5
A compile of vorbiscomment using 1.1.1 libs is now at Rarewares near the bottom of the 'ogg' page.

Reply #6
Xiph.org seems to have stopped providing binaries. Maybe Rarewares could start providing Win32 builds in the future..?

what!? that's all rarewares provides is Win32 builds haha.  I am just starting to get into this whole thing with compiling only I have to learn Emacs and GCC in unix enviroment for one of my classes, but I guess cygwin will work in the interrum.  I wish fishing through the packages in unix lab on Red Hat at the university I go to yesterday and I noticed there were some packages for Vorbis and FLAC.  Maybe I can make linux builds in the future once I learn more about it. 
budding I.T professional

Reply #7
Thanks very much  (as always!)

Reply #8
Maybe I can make linux builds in the future once I learn more about it. 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=328674"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's pretty easy to do.  Just run:

autogen.sh
configure
make

for libogg, libvorbis, and vorbistools.  Of course, if you want to distribute oggenc, you should make it static, so just add a -static in the CFLAGS section in the Makefile.

I could make an icc (Intel compiled) linux binary of oggenc but it probably violates my non-commercial license to distribute it?    It runs faster than any gcc build I've seen.

Reply #9
I could make an icc (Intel compiled) linux binary of oggenc but it probably violates my non-commercial license to distribute it?     It runs faster than any gcc build I've seen.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=328730"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you are distributing it for free and not getting any income out of it, I suspect you won't be violating the license. You can't be more non-commercial than that...

Reply #10
for libogg, libvorbis, and vorbistools. Of course, if you want to distribute oggenc, you should make it static, so just add a -static in the CFLAGS section in the Makefile.

I have a professor who has a good sense of humour and just tends to throw useful stuff at us that we can use. Sometimes he goes all you need is "insight" I recommend scratching down the idea for code you have on a sheet of paper.  He has all of these crazy technical and non-technical rules I just started coding using C and Emacs which is a major PITA at least right now until I figure it out more. Right now I was only using a few GCC flags, but in the packet of paper I noticed something about CFLAGS, didn't read into it though just a few switches such as debugging and optmization. In Emacs you can just access the command line to compile and it's alright looking for the make.  I have a few coding assignments that I am trying to work, but I need to sit down and figure out how I can solve them, I noticed it's better if you break a certain problem up into multiple functions. I will try to do that though trying to make compiles once I get around to it.
budding I.T professional