Skip to main content

Topic: Encoding time for Speex (Read 4410 times) previous topic - next topic

Encoding time for Speex
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if there is a way to find out the exact (or close approximation) encoding time of the Speex program? Suggestions are greatly appreciated  . Thank you very much everyone.

By the way I have asked similar question in the R&D area but I do not intend to do any spamming it's just because at first I have 2 questions at hand and one was regarding MP3 and hence I do not think it would be appropriate to post it here straightaway (should have thought of splitting it and post them in their respective forums ... sorry).

tech_noobie

• Synthetic Soul
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Encoding time for Speex
Reply #1
I'm not familiar with Speex, but if you are talking about a command line Speex encoder like speexenc at Rarewares then I would use a batch file, and just do:

Code: [Select]
@ECHO OFF

ECHO %TIME%

SPEEXENC.EXE myfile.wav myfile.spx

ECHO %TIME%

PAUSE

This will write out the current time, do the encode, and then write out the current time.  By subtracting time 1 from time 2 you can work out the time taken to the nearest centisecond.

Any use?
I'm on a horse.

• rjamorim
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Encoding time for Speex
Reply #2
Get up-to-date binaries of Lame, AAC, Vorbis and much more at RareWares:
http://www.rarewares.org

• Synthetic Soul
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Encoding time for Speex
Reply #3
That's useful.  Simple and effective.

NB: the first run I did was 3 seconds slower than the subsequent three, which were all around the same time.

I guess this is a memory thing and worth bearing in mind when you do your tests.  Run a number of times, discard the first run, and then take the average.

Edit: NB: to pass a parameter with spaces escape the quotes, e.g.:

TIMETHIS.EXE SPEEXENC.EXE \"death cab for cutie - plans.wav\" plans.spx
  • Last Edit: 20 September, 2005, 11:03:17 AM by Synthetic Soul
I'm on a horse.

Encoding time for Speex
Reply #4
Thank you very much guys for your reply . I will try it ASAP. Sorry for replying so late my internet connection was down yesterday . By the way is it possible to create a simple script that would allow me to automatically store the encoding time of my various samples in a text file. Thanks for your help.

tech_noobie

• Synthetic Soul
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Encoding time for Speex
Reply #5
TIMETHIS.EXE SPEEXENC.EXE \"death cab for cutie - plans.wav\" plans.spx > file.txt

... should do it.  This will spit the output of timethis.exe  to file.txt instead of the console.

Edit: Using the batch file method it would be:

@ECHO OFF

ECHO %TIME% > file.txt

SPEEXENC.EXE myfile.wav myfile.spx >> file.txt

ECHO %TIME% >> file.txt
  • Last Edit: 22 September, 2005, 04:15:31 AM by Synthetic Soul
I'm on a horse.

Encoding time for Speex
Reply #6
Hi Synthetic Soul and rjamorim,

Thank you very much for your help  . It works ... it works ...  . I batch them using matlab, it went very well last night. Thank you guys, I really appreciate your help. 

tech_noobie