Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CDex queries? (Read 2487 times) previous topic - next topic

CDex queries?

Firstly I'm an audio noob. Any ripping I've until last week was with Media Player and this is where my question springs from. With compilation CDs WMP10 displays the Album, Track Title and Artist seperatley. Is here any way I can do this in CDex? As it is I end up with Artist\ Track Tiltle displayed toegther and Various under Artist. I know each program uses a different database for reference but on viewing the CDex format in a library in any media player I find this very annoying.

Can I use WMP to add the album cover art without it messing with the tagging formats from CDex? I know its unneccessary but it makes things easier when looking through the folders.

I have looked at EAC and found it to be too fussy for my needs, it also seems to use the same format mentioned above. When I fully grasp foobar2k I'll be using it for my library/playback needs.

I'm using the LAME 3.96.dll is that okay?
With the alt-preset-extreme does it matter what the min and max bitrates are set to or does the preset look after this?

I've spent all day browsing this forum and am a little overwhelmed by all the opinions and various info so simple pointers would be great.

CDex queries?

Reply #1
Is here any way I can do this in CDex? As it is I end up with Artist\ Track Tiltle displayed toegther and Various under Artist. I know each program uses a different database for reference but on viewing the CDex format in a library in any media player I find this very annoying

options -> settings -> filename. Click on the question mark next to the text field when you find the filename tag it should explain everything to you.  I presume you are referring to the output? if not no you need a player like FB2K were you can change that sort of display,  sorry.

Can I use WMP to add the album cover art without it messing with the tagging formats from CDex?

I don't know if that's possible  . You would need an indepedent FB2K plug-in for instance I am guessing to display the cover art.

I'm using the LAME 3.96.dll is that okay?
With the alt-preset-extreme does it matter what the min and max bitrates are set to or does the preset look after this?

they are tweaked for the best size / quality ratio 

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=LAME

I've spent all day browsing this forum and am a little overwhelmed by all the opinions and various info so simple pointers would be great.

It becomes easier once you know what you are looking for 
budding I.T professional

CDex queries?

Reply #2
options -> settings -> filename. Click on the question mark next to the text field when you find the filename tag it should explain everything to you. I presume you are referring to the output? if not no you need a player like FB2K were you can change that sort of display, sorry.

%G\%1\%2\%3-%4
This is how I have the files tagged. As I understand it this places the file in a directory for its album, in a directory for that artist, in a directory for its Genre. It appears to work fine at that level. I then have the track number and name, again fine. But when viewing a compilation album in and media player for track title I get Artist\ Title. I have read the help file but am stumped. If any one looks at a compilation in the WMP library they will see what I am trying to achieve.

they are tweaked for the best size / quality ratio

I know the presets are configured for the best quality/size ratio but the max and min settings are not greyed out when a preset is selected, this means that in addition to the presets I can select a min and max bitrate, does this in any way counteract the preset selection?

I don't know if that's possible biggrin.gif. You would need an indepedent FB2K plug-in for instance I am guessing to display the cover art.

I am looking into foobar but coming from WMP10 there is a hell of a learning curve, it has virtualy no UI to speak of and more configurable settings than I know what to do with.
WMP10 will check its database for data missing from already ripped MP3 but it seems to completely rewrite existing tags. It leaves compilations in the format I am trying to achieve but if the files are then viewed in any other media player the individual tracks from a compilation album are disassociated from each other appearing as multiple one track albums.
As most of my CDs are movie soundtracks and compilations this annoys me no end.
Though easy to use I am really trying to move away from using it at all. Even playing some album on different PCs here at home there appears to be deviances in how it works.

CDex queries?

Reply #3
Can anyone at least help me with my tagging problem?
I'm aiming at using foobar2k but even in that the track titles from my compilation cds show Artist/ Track. Coming from programs with an intuitive GUI these programs are definitelt not easy to use. Somebody take pity  or at least point me in the right direction.