Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Few questions about drives (Read 7829 times) previous topic - next topic

Few questions about drives

Reply #25
the only issue i ever had with my 4120b was when i bought 25 fake ritek dvd-r disk and about a quarter were unreadable in a month but thats hardly lg's fault and i now make sure i get good media and have not had problems since.

the 4163B is currently very cheap in my country (£30) and gets good reviews everywhere you look (same for the 4120b but its out of date now) but if theres a new model i might wait and see if they improved cd extraction any, its not bad for my drive but all reviews for lg drives have said it could be better iirc.

edit - just took a look around LG GSA-4167B but none of the big uk retailers stock it yet, imo there all holding out trying to clear there stock of 4163b's which there selling at rock bottom prices (everywhere is around £30 dont pay more in the uk)

Reply #26
Anandtech had a fairly nice roundup a few months back, with some rather suprising results. Although most manufacturers have newer models out, you can get the ones reviewed here very cheaply.

I have an LG-4163B and have burned around 100 DVD+Rs with it, with only one problem to date (on cheap media). I haven't had a single problem with decent media (Verbatim or better).

Reply #27
The only media that could lay claim to being better than Verbatim would be Taiyo Yuden; but the difference is too small to be a factor to consider. Some drives burn TY, better, some Verbatim.