Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Something strange with EAC and C2 (Read 1985 times) previous topic - next topic

Something strange with EAC and C2

I have found something strange with EAC and C2 is used.
When C2 is in use and there are read errors on the cd (when Range quality < 99.9% when C2 not in use),
24 bytes are dublicated in the file. Doubled directly after one and another.
Have tested with Plextor 708 and NEC 3540 and the same thing happen with both drives.

Comparing files:

Code: [Select]
Result           Adress A        Size A           Adress B        Size B
Match            0h              2B6BF08Ch        0h              2B6BF08Ch
Only in A        2B6BF08Ch       18h                
(Dublicate)
Match            2B6BF0A4h       2E55B8h          2B6BF08Ch       2E55B8h
Only in B                                         2B9A4644h       18h
(Zeros)

File A with C2.
File B NO C2.

Have found this on one cd till now.

Have I overlooked something or is it a bug in EAC?

Reply #1
afaik, c2 is not the most reliable method of secure ripping.  its accuracy is dependent on your drive.  for a more secure rip, let eac do the extra work, and disable your drive's c2, as it can lead to errors slipping through.
a windows-free, linux user since 1/31/06.

Reply #2
Dator, can you explain what your data mean please ?

VCSkier, there is not proof that I know of that C2 is less accurate than EAC's built-in method.
The C2 accuracy has been measured on many drives, but with some very questionable methods. Some drives reached 100 % accuracy, and we don't know if the other ones failed because of a lack of C2 accuracy, or because synch errors. And we have never studied how synch errors appear on damaged CDs or correct CDs.

The accuracy of EAC's built-in method have been tested only once in 5 years. The result lead to an accuracy somewhere between 68 % and 99.8 %. That is certainly not what I would call reliable, when a lot of drives show between 99% and 100 % in C2 accuracy.

Method : http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....=ST&f=20&t=9049
Conclusion : http://www.digital-inn.de/showthread.php?postid=68078

Reply #3
wow.  impressive.  i stand corrected.  thanks, that is very imformative. 
a windows-free, linux user since 1/31/06.