Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Eac Drive-options ?settings? (Read 2800 times) previous topic - next topic

Eac Drive-options ?settings?

Since I use EAC (almost 2 years), I never knew what drive-options would be the best.

I have two drives: Plextor CD-R PX-W4012A and Asus DVD-Rom E616

So, my first question:
What is recommended to use for ripping? CD-R or DVD? DVD is faster I think, but that doesn't matter to me. What would result in best and securest results?

2.:What options should I use with the recommended drive? I usually rip with the Plextor, and I have detected the features by clicking "Detect Read Features". So everything was enabled: Secure-Mode, Accurate-Stream, Drive caches Audio data, C2 Error capable, and use C2Error information for error crorrection.
Would u change some settings?

3.:There is a field called "Gap detection", I use method B and secure, something important to change?

Ok, thanks for your answers. I want to add what happened to me today: I've ripped a CD and there were mistakes in my waves. I ripped it again, this time with my AsusDVD and ripping was much faster. But with my Asus (Secure-mode, with and without caching or C2, both cases same result) the ripped files seem to be ok!?
I thought using my Plextor would be the best till now, but now I'm unsure about that. I'm curious for your advices.

greetings

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Wenn jemand Mitgefühl braucht - ich kann's vorheucheln

Reply #1
What is recommended to use for ripping? CD-R or DVD? DVD is faster I think, but that doesn't matter to me. What would result in best and securest results?

It depends on the features of each drive. The best drive for ripping is one that supports accurate stream and does not cache audio data.
What options should I use with the recommended drive? I usually rip with the Plextor, and I have detected the features by clicking "Detect Read Features". So everything was enabled: Secure-Mode, Accurate-Stream, Drive caches Audio data, C2 Error capable, and use C2Error information for error crorrection.
Would u change some settings?

Leave everything checked except C2 error capable. C2 information is not always accurate when ripping audio data, so it is best not to use it.
There is a field called "Gap detection", I use method B and secure, something important to change?

This option only effects speed, not quality. Try out each one, and see which works the fastest with your drive.

Reply #2
So there aren't reading-diefferences between CD-R and DVD? It doesn't matter what drive, it's just important what features the drive supports? I thought a CD-R-Drive would read more exactly...

So I will take my DVD for further ripping, if others say the same.

And I should only enable Accurate Stream and Cache Audio-data? Or should I deactivate the caching option? Will I get secure results with these settings? Will everything be read twice and will everything be compared for matching?

I tried to autodetect the settings for my DVD-Drive and EAC says that it doesn't support caching, only Accurate Streaming. It ripped very much faster without caching. But will gaps in audio be possible then, without caching? Could there be other errors without the C2-option?

Sorry for asking twice, but I want good rips without errors or gaps!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Wenn jemand Mitgefühl braucht - ich kann's vorheucheln

Reply #3
First, this question belong to the CDR category, not the MP3 one.

So there aren't reading-diefferences between CD-R and DVD? It doesn't matter what drive, it's just important what features the drive supports?

Yes, the drive matters, and very much. In fact only the drive matters. The fact that it is DVD or CD or CDR doesn't matter (exept for the price), and the features affect speed, but for the accuracy and ability to read bad CDs, it's each drive its own.

And I should only enable Accurate Stream and Cache Audio-data? Or should I deactivate the caching option? Will I get secure results with these settings? Will everything be read twice and will everything be compared for matching?

Caching activated is more secure.

I tried to autodetect the settings for my DVD-Drive and EAC says that it doesn't support caching, only Accurate Streaming. It ripped very much faster without caching. But will gaps in audio be possible then, without caching? Could there be other errors without the C2-option?

Without caching, if EAC was wrong (you can test with Feurio and see if it confirms this) and the drive caches, without C2, errors won't be detected. With C2 they will be detected, but not corrected. If EAC is right and your drive doesn't cache, all will be fine.

You can test the quality of your drives with the method explained in the DAE quality section of http://www.exactaudiocopy.de