Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I give up: how to encode WMA lossless? (Read 4344 times) previous topic - next topic

I give up: how to encode WMA lossless?

I must be thick, but I can't figure this out.

My Creative MuVo V200 MP3 player should play WMA also and I wanted to try if it plays the lossless WMA too. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to encode the lossless WMA. I'm running W2k SP4 and MS Media player 9 and all the ripping options seemed to be lossy. I also have the MS Media encoder 9 and I tried converting a WAV but again only found lossy options. What am I doing wrong?

P.S. please do not preach about WMA, FLAC etc.. My music server is FLAC / Lame based and this is only to test the DAP.

EDIT: the media encoder has an "lossless audio quality VBR 100" option but that can't be it.

Reply #2
OK, thanks, kotrtim. What a misleading name: VBR 100. I encoded a WAV using this and as I played it, the WMP showed the bitrate as something around 800 kbps.

Reply #3
... and I wanted to try if it plays the lossless WMA too..
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=318359"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Unfortunately it seems it doesn't.

Reply #4
WMA lossless is a part of WMAPro Serie. Creative players don't officially support WMAPro (lossy + lossless), only WMA "standard". Therefore, it's not a surprise. Anyway, thanks for testing and sharing your experience.
Wavpack Hybrid: one encoder for all scenarios
WavPack -c4.5hx6 (44100Hz & 48000Hz) ≈ 390 kbps + correction file
WavPack -c4hx6 (96000Hz) ≈ 768 kbps + correction file
WavPack -h (SACD & DSD) ≈ 2400 kbps at 2.8224 MHz

Reply #5
WMA lossless is a part of WMAPro Serie. Creative players don't officially support WMAPro (lossy + lossless), only WMA "standard". Therefore, it's not a surprise. Anyway, thanks for testing and sharing your experience.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=318370"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I tried WMA lossless on my ZEN micro and it did not work (of course). However VBR98 with rather high bitrates work perfect, but I would prefer LAME -V0 for maximum quality!

Reply #6
VBR98 with WMAPro or with WMA "standard"?
Wavpack Hybrid: one encoder for all scenarios
WavPack -c4.5hx6 (44100Hz & 48000Hz) ≈ 390 kbps + correction file
WavPack -c4hx6 (96000Hz) ≈ 768 kbps + correction file
WavPack -h (SACD & DSD) ≈ 2400 kbps at 2.8224 MHz

Reply #7
VBR98 with WMAPro or with WMA "standard"?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=318480"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

"standard"  ... however no problems with bitrates >400 ...