Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: NEC ND-3520A: problems with audio extraction (Read 10434 times) previous topic - next topic

NEC ND-3520A: problems with audio extraction

Reply #25
THE place to go for NEC3520A is http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/tt.asp?forumid=88 and the MAN there is "emperor."
But, I only use a straight 48x CD-ROM without cache for my audio CDs because the EAC author recommends that for "secure ripping" and it so happens I have one in my desktop It makes sense to me to save wear and tear on the DVD reader by using it only to rip DVDs to a storage drive.
It is conceivable that the drive has developed mechanical problems or even was defective from the start.

Reply #26
I touched it and I can't say it was very hot. It even wasn't hot. Warm, as usual.
I hope you are talking about your computer here, do you?   
[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'](sorry, coulnd't resist)[/span]

I'm talking about drive.

Reply #27
Vasiliy, try disabling antivirus software before starting an extraction. It will also help to diagnose your problem if you'll specify your motherboard model name, OS service pack level and all other cd/dvd mastering/burning software installed on a computer.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=302692"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't have any antivirus software installed.
OS: Windows 2000 SP4 on both computers, MB: Soltek SL-75KAV on my computer, some Gigabyte MB on another. Only Nero is installed, nothing more.

Reply #28
I've had a similar problem but it's not DAE related.
I've the exact same drive, I've tried 2 different firmwares, the original with drive and the newest official NEC firmware.
I've a small project going where I've copied about 200 CDs (data copy) from CD to HD using ubuntu linux, and generally if I let it copy to many in a row, then a similar issue happens, it gets read errors and skips some files (have set copy to skip if it fails)
If I then go through the copy log and check the files that failed copy and then copy JUST that file(s) manually, then almost always it copies perfectly fine (sometimes it fails but then it's because of scratches)

Same happens if I boot in OS X.

There is 100% not a heat issue in computer, well maybe for THIS drive, but not for any other hardware, heh.

All in all it doesn't bother me to much, but I'd definitely say it's a drive model issue and not a computer/OS issue.

edit: spelling

Reply #29
Is the ASPI layer you are using the adaptec 4.60?  According to their website they do not recommend the use of 4.60 (1021) on anything except 9x & NT.

From the Adaptec website for 4.60 (1021)
Do NOT install ASPI32.EXE with Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows XP, Easy CD Creator 4.x, or with Windows Media Player 7.0. If you have one of these applications (or operating systems), you will be using a different aspi layer that will conflict with the one provided in this file.

You might try the 4.71 version and see if that solves the issue - otherwise get that plextor.

cheers

Reply #30
You might try the 4.71 version and see if that solves the issue - otherwise get that plextor.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=302870"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Installed latest 4.71.2 version. The same problem.

Reply #31
did you try on a clean install / bare windows xp with eac only? (fresh reformat)

Reply #32
did you try on a clean install / bare windows xp with eac only? (fresh reformat)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=302922"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I use Windows 2000. I have installed it a week ago. But, anyway, do you still think this is a problem of software? I don't. Another drive on this system works perfectly.

Reply #33
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=302870"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Installed latest 4.71.2 version. The same problem.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=302904"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Use Nero's InfoTool to see if your ASPI is functional, and which version it is.  The old ASPI 4.60 might still exist.

Perform a *clean* install of Windows, and install only your ripping program.  Then, also, install Aspi v4.72; this works well on my WinXP+SP2 machine.

Reply #34
C'mon, it's not a software issue.  It's a bad drive.  It happens, especially when things are so mass produced.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #35
Use Nero's InfoTool to see if your ASPI is functional, and which version it is.  The old ASPI 4.60 might still exist.

Perform a *clean* install of Windows, and install only your ripping program.  Then, also, install Aspi v4.72; this works well on my WinXP+SP2 machine.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=302959"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

OMFG, do you really think it will help? Of course I checked ASPI with NeroInfoTool, and read it carefully: another drive on the same system works perfectly. Doesn't it make deal?

Adaptec's ASPI driver consists of 4 files, all of them were replaced by installation of 4.71.2 version.

BTW, is 4.72 version available? Where can I get it?

Reply #36
Change your drive if you think it will help; I can tell you that I haven't had any problems with mine, and I extracted over 150 CDs with in in 6 months.

Reply #37
Vasiliy, try disabling antivirus software before starting an extraction. It will also help to diagnose your problem if you'll specify your motherboard model name, OS service pack level and all other cd/dvd mastering/burning software installed on a computer.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=302692"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't have any antivirus software installed.
OS: Windows 2000 SP4 on both computers, MB: Soltek SL-75KAV on my computer, some Gigabyte MB on another. Only Nero is installed, nothing more.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=302755"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oh, then you do have some program that shows exactly the same icon on the System Tray as DrWeb AV does. According to your screenshots.

Reply #38
Oh, then you do have some program that shows exactly the same icon on the System Tray as DrWeb AV does. According to your screenshots.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=303007"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Screenshots are made from second computer.