Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: NEC ND-3520A: problems with audio extraction (Read 10433 times) previous topic - next topic

NEC ND-3520A: problems with audio extraction

This post is the same as my answer in this thread.

I have NEC ND-3520A drive and it has serious problem with DAE. After quite long time of extraction (2-3 CDs), drive goes mad and just cannot read tracks. It reports errors, reduces speed to minimal and still reports errors. This happens with shiny new CDs, clean and perfect to rip. I even made test with known good tracks: I just re-ripped the same 3 tracks on a CD using Test & Copy mode 5 times. On the 5-th try to read 3-rd track drive started to report errors. I returned drive and they gave me back new one, same model. It has the same bug.

Can anyone confirm this issue?

Reply #1
Have you tried other CD's ? Actually I don't see any bug on your screenshots

Reply #2
Have you tried other CD's ? Actually I don't see any bug on your screenshots
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=302594"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Try harder. The same position (78.4%) for 2 minutes long. Ripping stopped in this moment forever. EAC doesn't get any data from drive. Drive does not read CD.

I tried with different CDs, and actually doing it right now on another computer.

Reply #3
Why wouldn't you use Win32 interface instead of ASPI ?

Reply #4
Same drive, no problems. Get a new firmware...

try nec's site, or www.rpc1.org

good luck,

Tristan.

Reply #5
Same drive, no problems. Get a new firmware...

good luck,

Tristan.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=302601"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Read carefully, please. I tried different firmware. Even non-official.

Reply #6
Why wouldn't you use Win32 interface instead of ASPI ?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=302600"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Because it proved to be buggy several times.

Reply #7
Even if it did, it doesn't have to prevent you from trying it. For me it always works flawlessly on WinXP. Never experienced any bugs using this method.

Reply #8
Recently I reriped all my CDs with that very model drive - and got a similar issue, though no where near as bad.

I found that after several CD rips in a row (were talking quite a few here) the drive would start to throw up more errors on CDs than before. Quite by accident I discovered that letting the drive sit idle for a while would cure it - occasionally reripping failed after sitting idle for a while would give perfect copies (otherwise brasso was my friend  )

Not sure if thats much help - but if you're ripping a lot of stuff continuously it may be worth letting the drive cool off a little between CDs (or maybe even tracks).

Reply #9
Even if it did, it doesn't have to prevent you from trying it. For me it always works flawlessly on WinXP. Never experienced any bugs using this method.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=302607"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I will try it.

Reply #10
Recently I reriped all my CDs with that very model drive - and got a similar issue, though no where near as bad.

Ok, than I'm not one with it.

Not sure if thats much help - but if you're ripping a lot of stuff continuously it may be worth letting the drive cool off a little between CDs (or maybe even tracks).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=302610"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I know this may help.. But I'm so dissapointed. This isn't how a GOOD drive should work..

Reply #11
,Jun 2 2005, 02:05 AM]Same drive, no problems. Get a new firmware...

good luck,

Tristan.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=302601"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Read carefully, please. I tried different firmware. Even non-official.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=302603"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Tell me.. Where, in this post did you mention you used different firmware?  If you can't bother synthesizing information about your problem and the solutions you've tried up to now, how do you expect people to help you?

Reply #12
Tell me.. Where, in this post did you mention you used different firmware?  If you can't bother synthesizing information about your problem and the solutions you've tried up to now, how do you expect people to help you?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry, I thought you read [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=34255&view=findpost&p=302572]this[/url] thread, because there were the beginning of the discussion.

Reply #14
Did you try all ASPI interfaces available? Adaptec, Nero, Windows?

Which firmwares did you try (and you did, I presume, turn off and turn back on your computer after every time you flashed?)

Reply #15
Did you try all ASPI interfaces available? Adaptec, Nero, Windows?

I tried only Adaptec's ASPI 4.60. I'll try win32 interface after doing some more tests.

Which firmwares did you try (and you did, I presume, turn off and turn back on your computer after every time you flashed?)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=302627"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Original 1.04, official 3.04, I-O DATA 3.23 (FAST). Of course I turned off/on my PC after flashing.

Reply #17
http://tdb.rpc1.org/#ND3520A

Try 1.25 (IODATA) TDB Windows Flasher, I believe i'm using that version and haven't had any problems.

Reply #18
With win32 interface I've got the same bug.

Resume: bug appeared on 2 different computers, 2 different drives (same model), 2 different interfaces, 2 different CDs. Although, I'm now testing that CD with another drive (TEAC CD-W552E) on my computer and there is no problem. I think this is enough to blame drive.

Reply #19
With win32 interface I've got the same bug.

Resume: bug appeared on 2 different computers, 2 different drives (same model), 2 different interfaces, 2 different CDs. Although, I'm now testing that CD with another drive (TEAC CD-W552E) on my computer and there is no problem. I think this is enough to blame drive.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=302641"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Try with the firmware I suggested, if you can... I have this drive myself, as well as two of my friends, and neither of us has had such a problem.

Reply #20
Try with the firmware I suggested, if you can... I have this drive myself, as well as two of my friends, and neither of us has had such a problem.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=302644"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I want to give that drive back, so I won't flash it. This bug is very hard to catch, maybe I'm just lucky. Anyway, I'm going to buy PLEXTOR next time. It proved to be good at audio extraction..

Reply #21
Easy solution:  RMA the drive.

But it also sounds to me like your drive may be overheating.  What is the cooling situation in your case?
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #22

What does it mean?

But it also sounds to me like your drive may be overheating.  What is the cooling situation in your case?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=302651"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I too think it's something to do with overheating. But if in 2 computers with open cases and good cooling it still gets overheated, it is not my problem..  I touched it and I can't say it was very hot. It even wasn't hot. Warm, as usual.

Reply #23
I touched it and I can't say it was very hot. It even wasn't hot. Warm, as usual.
I hope you are talking about your computer here, do you?   
[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'](sorry, coulnd't resist)[/span]

What does it mean?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_Mercha...e_Authorization
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

Reply #24
I have NEC ND-3520A drive and it has serious problem with DAE.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=302575"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Vasiliy, try disabling antivirus software before starting an extraction. It will also help to diagnose your problem if you'll specify your motherboard model name, OS service pack level and all other cd/dvd mastering/burning software installed on a computer.