Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Newbie question : LAME 3.xx.xx ? (Read 51159 times) previous topic - next topic

Newbie question : LAME 3.xx.xx ?

Reply #100
I have another suggestion over using --ignore-tag-errors: Use a proper tagger! It is simple to integrate with Wack:

APPLYREPLAYGAIN=true
REPLAYGAINEXEPATH= c:\PROGRA~1\id3\id3.exe
REPLAYGAINARGUMENTS= -1 -2 "%t" -a "%a" -l "%g" -n "%n" -y "%y" -g "%m" -c "Insert your comment here." "c:\path_to_mp3"

You can get id3.exe here: http://home.wanadoo.nl/squell/id3.html

(no, this has nothing to actually do with ReplayGain, all it does is run the id3.exe program after each mp3 is encoded, much like some replaygain implementation would.)

Benefits over LAME's internal tagger:

1) ID3v2 tags allow for custom genres, but LAME won't let you use them!(example: "New York Proto-Punk").
2) Lame doesn't pad. ID3 uses 512bytes by default, which can be changed. Helps you edit the tags later.

Reply #101
What I have experienced is that 3.96.1 Extreme is equivalent to that of 3.90.3

Such opinions are not welcome here unless backed up by fact. Read the HA terms of service.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=302571"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oh! Sorry! I got it!
Actually I wrote this on the basis of my own exp. but I think I will have to submit the test I had done mysef on my PC on some songs. Or if there are any other traditions, plz let me know.
In the world of lame, I am just a kid 
but I always want to learn something 

Reply #102
no prob. Even something innocous like that post (which is probably even true, more or less) has to be backed up. That's whats so great about this site... if you read it, it should be true!

Reply #103
no prob. Even something innocous like that post (which is probably even true, more or less) has to be backed up. That's whats so great about this site... if you read it, it should be true!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=303227"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ya! That's why I joined this forum  !
Hey! can u give me some advice on a problem.

I had been using EAC with Lame.exe for a while
Now, yesterday I tried to use various lame_enc.dll with EAC095b1, but the only dll worked was Lame v3.92 DLL v1.28
(The prob. was with medium, standard and extreme presets only. CBR & ABR presets were working fine.)

Is this true that the version of EAC is compat. only with 3.92 dll? what about 3.90.3 or 3.96.1 DLLs? 

Reply #104
When I asked my little question, I couldn't imagine it would raise such passion...
Anyway I've learned a lot !

Reply #105
Now would you recomend Monkey's Audio or Wav Pack.

I would recommend that you make your own decision based on the information in the wiki.

Any other information you get will most likely be subjective, irrelevant or just confusing.  You've just seen a small example with Mo0zOoH and beto's posts (who do you believe?), and believe me it can get as heated as the LAME debate in this thread.

In my opinion your decision should be made between FLAC, Monkey's Audio, and WavPack.  I would like to see you make a decision from there though.

Then I'll berate you and convince you otherwise.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=303061"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry Synthetic, but my opinion was not subjective, irrelevant or confusing since i provided a link that proves my point. He does not need to believe in my word regarding Mo0zOoH's statement, he just has to look at the graph i linked and draw his own conclusions. 

I agree that the use of a lossless codec is a personal choice and the wiki is THE place to gather information to make a decision.

Reply #106
Sorry Synthetic, but my opinion was not subjective, irrelevant or confusing since i provided a link that proves my point. He does not need to believe in my word regarding Mo0zOoH's statement, he just has to look at the graph i linked and draw his own conclusions.

I would class your post under "confusing" - solely on the fact that, if another user had decided to contest your stance, the thread would be hijacked and lose focus.

In essence, it wasn't your post that I object to - you were, it seems, correcting misinformation and backing it up with proof - I was using quite a neat little example of contradictory posts to make a point.  If I had said "you must use Monkey's Audio" the thread would have turned into another "which lossless codec is best" thread, so I was simply trying to nip it in the bud.

I did not mean to discredit your post, which was succinct and backed up with some credible tests.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #107
Synthetic, you are a master of tact and diplomacy.

Regards,
Madrigal

Reply #108
Quote from: Synthetic Soul,Jun 3 2005, 05:47 PM

Quote from: navin,Jun 3 2005, 01:07 PM
BTW should I upgrade my RAM from 256MB to say 1GB?
If it will baffle your wife, yes.  I've no idea the specs required I'm afraid.  I'm sure 256MB will be fine.

Was he annoying too?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=303144"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Glad you find me annoying!

Arnold Horshank was annoying. Viinny was just brain dead. His fav line was "I am sooo confused".

If you were not born in before the 50's you might not enjoy all the references though. I spent my formative years in the US (Brooklyn Heights, NYC & Palos Verdes, LA) so "Kotter" is nostalgia.

BTW I know something that will really bug my wife. X Box 360!. Gotta say one thing that though the Xbox is a good effort for MS the style of an Ipod or mac mini or power book is still to be challenged. when will apple come out with a convergence machine?

Reply #109
I have another suggestion over using --ignore-tag-errors: Use a proper tagger! It is simple to integrate with Wack:

APPLYREPLAYGAIN=true
REPLAYGAINEXEPATH= c:\PROGRA~1\id3\id3.exe
REPLAYGAINARGUMENTS= -1 -2 "%t" -a "%a" -l "%g" -n "%n" -y "%y" -g "%m" -c "Insert your comment here." "c:\path_to_mp3"

You can get id3.exe here: http://home.wanadoo.nl/squell/id3.html

(no, this has nothing to actually do with ReplayGain, all it does is run the id3.exe program after each mp3 is encoded, much like some replaygain implementation would.)

Benefits over LAME's internal tagger:

1) ID3v2 tags allow for custom genres, but LAME won't let you use them!(example: "New York Proto-Punk").
2) Lame doesn't pad. ID3 uses 512bytes by default, which can be changed. Helps you edit the tags later.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=303168"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I believe you think i am going to tag each file myself. I intend to let Lame use freedb.org's database to tag each CD. My fear is that if the freedb databas has a tag that EAC does not recognise EAC will hiccup. I want the ripping/encoding/tagging  process to be smooth so I can do it wihtout really paying attention to each rip & tag.

Reply #110
Arnold Horshank was annoying. Viinny was just brain dead. His fav line was "I am sooo confused".

Then you are like neither.

BTW I know something that will really bug my wife. X Box 360!. Gotta say one thing that though the Xbox is a good effort for MS the style of an Ipod or mac mini or power book is still to be challenged. when will apple come out with a convergence machine?

I am just waiting for my daughter to become old enough that I can buy a console on the premise that it's for her and not me.  I just don't have time to play one at the moment though.  Both the XBox 360 and PS3 sound pretty amazing.

I believe you think i am going to tag each file myself. I intend to let Lame use freedb.org's database to tag each CD. My fear is that if the freedb databas has a tag that EAC does not recognise EAC will hiccup. I want the ripping/encoding/tagging  process to be smooth so I can do it wihtout really paying attention to each rip & tag.

Actually, EAC will get the info from freedb, and pass it to LAME (that's what the %a, %g, etc. placeholders are).  Rereading your post I guess this is what you mean.

Jebus' suggestion would use the same principle - it would just use a separate application to tag the files once LAME had created them.  This would involve adapting your encoders.ini to run ID3.EXE as a post-processor after LAME has run.

The benefit of using ID3.EXE is that it will recognise a lot more genres than LAME, which should mean that less of your rips end up with a genre of "Other".  I guess it depends on how concerned you are about categorising your files by genre.  If you can handle a little more downloading and ini editing then it may be useful.  I don't concern myself with genre at all, so I don't ever consider it.

EAC won't choke on an unknown freedb genre - it's only LAME that might, and that's why you've got the --ignore-tag-errors switch.  Nothing else should cause a problem.

If you follow the URL in my sig you will find my guide for backing up CDs using EAC, MAC (Monkey's Audio), TAG, and PAR2.  I created this system as I, like you, just want to be able to just set a CD ripping and leave it.  I'm very pleased with the effort to result ratio to run - although it was a lot of effort to set up initially.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #111

Then you are like neither.

EAC won't choke on an unknown freedb genre - it's only LAME that might, and that's why you've got the --ignore-tag-errors switch.  Nothing else should cause a problem.

If you follow the URL in my sig you will find my guide for backing up CDs using EAC, MAC (Monkey's Audio), TAG, and PAR2.  I created this system as I, like you, just want to be able to just set a CD ripping and leave it.  I'm very pleased with the effort to result ratio to run - although it was a lot of effort to set up initially.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=303374"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

They were all nuts. you cant help liking them even Horshank! His nasal laugh is etched in my memory!

Sorry. My mistake. yes it is lame 3.90.3 that might choke on an unrecognised genre. If the genre is written as other I can edit it later. my music is categorised (even on the CD rack) into 5 genres. Classical, Jazz, Hard rock (everything from ACDC to Led Zeppelin to Zappa) and Soft Rock/Pop (everything from America to Elton John etc..) and World Music (which includes New Age and all the elevator music we own).

What on earth is TAG and PAR2? So far I got EAC>WACK>WAVPACK+LAME.

I assume I can edit the ID3 tags with TAGbut what do i use PAR2 for?

I spent 5 min on your website and was zapped. it ripping encoding and tagging that difficult? I think I need classes to do this. Every day I learn new terms. today it was foobar, diskwriter, aaargh!!

Reply #112
I "stumbled" (ouch!) across this thread and am finding it very useful. I had considered ripping to lossless and lossy at the same time but didn't know how. Now I do!

Thanks and kudos to all of you!
Bill

Reply #113
What on earth is TAG and PAR2? So far I got EAC>WACK>WAVPACK+LAME.

I assume I can edit the ID3 tags with TAGbut what do i use PAR2 for?

I spent 5 min on your website and was zapped. it ripping encoding and tagging that difficult? I think I need classes to do this. Every day I learn new terms. today it was foobar, diskwriter, aaargh!!

I didn't mean to confuse you further by sending you to my website.

TAG is a command line tag editor. PAR2 creates parity files for a file or group of files.  If you create PAR2 files for a file and that file becomes corrupt (perhaps it is on a DVD and the disc gets scratched) the theory is that you can use the PAR2 files to reconstruct the corrupt file.

It's not all that difficult.  My ripping process may seem a little complex but it's not really - it's probably just too many new terms for you at this time.  Once you get used to EAC, WACK, LAME and WAVEPACK you can then move on to foobar and all its glory, if you see fit.  My batch files are just a more bespoke version of WACK really.

I wasn't suggesting that you sign up to my religion, it was purely an "out of interest" thing.  Let's not confuse things at this late stage. 
I'm on a horse.

Reply #114
It's not all that difficult....Once you get used to EAC, WACK, LAME and WAVEPACK you can then move on to foobar and all its glory, if you see fit....I wasn't suggesting that you sign up to my religion, it was purely an "out of interest" thing.  Let's not confuse things at this late stage. 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=303526"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'd love to understand your "religon". You seem to be a great guru without coming across as an evangelist. That in itself is a great feat. Hats of to you for your IQ and EQ.

Bad news: My system Admin had a Server Crash (what ever that means) and has had wor work 14 hrs each day over the weekend to restore the system for Monday work. SO he did not get time to upgrade my PC with the 400GB Harddisk.

Also my PC can take only 2 HD as it is very small. So he has to doa  lot of work to take all my stuff out of the old 40Gb harddisk and move it to the 250GB harddisk etc.... He says he will do this Thrusday when I will be travelling.

Good news: thanks to the above I have this whole week to read up on Foobar etc. and warp my brain.

Reply #115
I'd love to understand your "religon". You seem to be a great guru without coming across as an evangelist. That in itself is a great feat. Hats of to you for your IQ and EQ.

Thank you for the compliment, but I really am no expert. I'm just a little more experienced in this particular area.  I've been regularly visiting the forum for nigh on a year, and you just pick things up.  In a year's time you'll be helping someone else out.  The beauty that is a community.

Bad news: My system Admin had a Server Crash (what ever that means) and has had wor work 14 hrs each day over the weekend to restore the system for Monday work. SO he did not get time to upgrade my PC with the 400GB Harddisk.

Also my PC can take only 2 HD as it is very small. So he has to doa  lot of work to take all my stuff out of the old 40Gb harddisk and move it to the 250GB harddisk etc.... He says he will do this Thrusday when I will be travelling.

So you're upgrading from one 40GB drive to 250+400GB?  Nice.  I desperately want to get an external 250GB hard drive to store my lossless collection on.  It's currently on 30 DVDs (approx 135GB).  Once I get it all onto a hardrive I'll mass-transcode from my Monkey's Audio image files to MP3, to update my collection to a better format.  Hopefully by then 3.97 will be out and well tested.

Good news: thanks to the above I have this whole week to read up on Foobar etc. and warp my brain.

Foobar is a superb audio player - but I tend to use it just as much to perform other tasks, such as tagging and renaming files, transcoding (converting from one format to another), and generally administrating my music collection.  It's definately a useful application to have around - almost a necessity.  I can't now imagine how I ever did without it.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #116
actually my sys admin just checked my PC and said that my old drive was 20GB not 40GB. i dont know these things so i am wrong often. i told him to upgrade my pc to 250GB then when lossless would not fit on 250GB I told him to upgrade my PC to 400GB + 250GB.

after the pc is re configured (is this the right word) the 250GB will be broken into 2 equal logical drives (C and D). C will have all my software (incl EAC, LAME, WACK and WAVPAK). D will have the lossy MP3. and the 400GB drive will have my lossless version (600 CDs x 700 MB x 0.7).

I also have been given a 120GB USB drive that I can carry my whole lossy version in.

Reply #117
Synthetic Soul,

I need some help.

I got my 400GB drive and maanged to reconfigure most of my PC incl EAC, WAVPAK, LAME and WACK.

I configured wack's encoders.ini file with the command lines you recommended earlier.

I read the documentation on WACK's website. I get confused when Jeremey says "
You are pretty much set now. Just load up a CD and then go to Action menu --> Copy Image & Create CUE Sheet --> Compressed".

Is this the way I burn/rip my CDs or do I use another method.

Reply #118

Long time, no see.

Yes, using WACK this is the method you'll use.  WACK works with a CD image so it can work on image files and track files in the same process.

The benefit of using WACK is the ability to set the --scale value when encoding to MP3.  However, as I mentioned previously, as you have decided to go with track files for both WavPack and MP3 an alternative would be MAREO.  I'm a little concerned that WACK is going to increase processing time too much.

Give it a go and see what you think.

If you feel the process is taking way too long you may have to give up on scaling the MP3s, and switch to MAREO, which will let you just rip track by track.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #119

Long time, no see.

Yes, using WACK this is the method you'll use.  WACK works with a CD image so it can work on image files and track files in the same process.

The benefit of using WACK is the ability to set the --scale value when encoding to MP3.  However, as I mentioned previously, as you have decided to go with track files for both WavPack and MP3 an alternative would be MAREO.  I'm a little concerned that WACK is going to increase processing time too much.

Give it a go and see what you think.

If you feel the process is taking way too long you may have to give up on scaling the MP3s, and switch to MAREO, which will let you just rip track by track.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305041"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thanks for replying sooooo fast! wow it makes my head spin.

i am not using the scale function as i just want to try this and see. the sample CD i used (rolling stones hot rock vol 1) took about 20 min. if i get more RAM (present 256MB) and a bigger processor (present P4 2.4G) will it help? Say if I get 1GB of RAM?

i dont mind the time. i would like a stable consistent system that can rip all my CDs. if it takes 20 min each so be it. I also tried another program called Rip'Ntagit that did a 4-5x faster job but made only MP3s. I have not compared the outputs yet.

Another Stupid Q: where does wavegain come in? I downloaded it and put it on the same folder as WACK.

Reply #120
Upping your PC spec will definately improve times - but I can't say by how much.  Perhaps somebody else may be able to suggest the improvements you would get.  Not my forté I'm afraid.

WaveGain is used to get the scale value that WACK references with the %x placeholder.

If you have WaveGain in the same folder as WACK then, irrespective of whether you are using the "--scale %x" switch in your command line, you are still running WaveGain to get the scale value.  If you remove WaveGain from the WACK folder (or rename the EXE slightly) the whole process should speed up slightly.  However if I were you I would put the "--scale %x" switch back in and test as you mean to run.

I've never heard of Rip'Ntagit - but anything like this is unlikely to give you the flexibility of using an external encoder with EAC.  EAC is a top-notch ripper as well - so you can be assured that the rips you get are excellent, if not perfect.

Have a few more goes with WACK and then maybe we could set you up with MAREO.  This mainly comes down to whether scaling the MP3s is a requirement.

NB: I'm on a week's holiday from today, and I doubt my wife's (or daughters') intentions include me hovering around this forum, so someone else will hopefully step in to help you with any further questions after today.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #121
WaveGain is used to get the scale value that WACK references with the %x placeholder.

I've never heard of Rip'Ntagit - but anything like this is unlikely to give you the flexibility of using an external encoder with EAC.  EAC is a top-notch ripper as well - so you can be assured that the rips you get are excellent, if not perfect.

NB: I'm on a week's holiday from today, and I doubt my wife's (or daughters') intentions include me hovering around this forum, so someone else will hopefully step in to help you with any further questions after today.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305075"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

1. ok so wave gain works even if i dont run it. it works by just being in the same folder as wack. wow. this software is getting smarter. now wont the guys how prgrammed this stuff EAC, wack, etc... work with MS and fix Windows once and for all.

2. no way ripNtagit is as flexible as EAC. EAC is another world.

3. Thanks for all your help. i am glad i caught you before you left on holiday. BTW where are you going? enjoy yourself. I'll still be here. annoying everyone else.

i hope to rip and tag 10 cds per day so i have 60-80 days of work ahead of me.

Reply #122
1. ok so wave gain works even if i dont run it. it works by just being in the same folder as wack. wow. this software is getting smarter. now wont the guys how prgrammed this stuff EAC, wack, etc... work with MS and fix Windows once and for all.

Yes, WACK will run WaveGain automatically if it finds it in the same folder.  I think Windows may be a bit of a stretch.

3. Thanks for all your help. i am glad i caught you before you left on holiday. BTW where are you going? enjoy yourself. I'll still be here. annoying everyone else.

We have an nine month old, so not far.  We will be taking day trips most days hopefully.  The zoo's a definate.

i hope to rip and tag 10 cds per day so i have 60-80 days of work ahead of me.

I think it took me around that long to archive my existing CDs (September to Christmas time I think).  I only had around 300 albums, but only managed a few in the evenings during the working week.

Good luck!
I'm on a horse.

Reply #123
We have an nine month old, so not far.  We will be taking day trips most days hopefully.  The zoo's a definate.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305087"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

have a nice holiday. i can remember when my son was 9 months old. is she walking yet? those are good years. they grow up way too soon.

at 7 months my son flew to bahrain (from bombay it is about 4 hours) so it is not that diffcult. my son was weaned at 13 months so the airhostess arranged privacy. most airlines are very good with kids.

thank you for everything.

kids love zoos. we dont have a decent one in bombay so we fly to singapore to see one every other year.

Reply #124
mmmm... well I think members of HA can recommend what they like as long as they give adequate reasons/evidence for doing so;

well, me personally I feel free to recommend whatever I like even without giving adaquate reasons for doing so