Skip to main content
Topic: fb2k 0.9 beta feature suggestions (Read 95217 times) previous topic - next topic

fb2k 0.9 beta feature suggestions

New version of foobar2000 is great! Everything is working fine.

Individual DSP & Replaygain settings for Converter, built-in CLI encoder, built-in multiple Undo/Redo, Reset Page, Secure Mode in foo_cdda...
This is great! Big thanks to Peter and all who helped him in his work!

I just would like the old About... message box back. It was nice thanks-to & powered-by and also showed the date of build (and THE version). Currently it shows the license, so it would better to change it to Help -> License (by default).
stimulating the audio nerve directly

Reply #1
Bringing up the masstagger, pressing 'a' for "Add" brings up the Select action type window. Focus is on OK, not the dropdown list.

RFE: Could the focus default to the list, please? I am used to using the keyboard to bringing up the masstagger, and pressing initial letters to navigate the dropdown list.

edit: foobar2000 0.8x works like that, and it's very handy if you need to run auto track number.

Reply #2
Am I blind or has "Block tag update operations" been removed in 0.9? If it's the latter, is there any possibility of it being re-implemented? I personally don't use tags and instead rely on the database. I have tried making my files read-only, but was faced with an access denied message (unlike in the previous version whereby the database would be updated with the file being unchanged).

Reply #3
Am I blind or has "Block tag update operations" been removed in 0.9? If it's the latter, is there any possibility of it being re-implemented? I personally don't use tags and instead rely on the database. I have tried making my files read-only, but was faced with an access denied message (unlike in the previous version whereby the database would be updated with the file being unchanged).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=300197"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It is called "Don't update files, only change cached info" now.

Reply #4
What I would like is this:
i) Always show some indication that it's working on something.
ii) Add the option to do this "in the background", so it's not rendered useless and appears to be locked up.
iii) Force, if possible, or at least encourage 3rd party component developer to do the same.[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Do you have an actual issue with v0.9 locking up? All file operations and most other lengthy operations I can think of show a standardized progress dialog (part of the SDK) and are abortable by the user.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299966"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'll try to explain myself better and give some examples so it might be easier to get my drift. This suggestion was based on my experience with previous versions and components, but also pressing "scan all" in the this beta's Media Library. Even though you see a progress bar when doing the latter, it renders foobar2000 useless untill finished scanning. Meaning that you can't pause, stop, skip and so on, unless you abort the operation. Aborting isn't really something you want to do if it's been scanning for a while, as you'll have to start over later.

Another example (from previous experience) is tagging e.g. Vorbis files. I have never seen a progress dialog, and it has appeared locked up unstil finished. Maybe this is related to disc access, but it gives the same "lock up" impression.

Third, is plugins like the album list. With a large library and a complex (read: useful) view, this component tends to lock things up too.

So, to sum it up. Would it be possible to make some of these things run as it's own process (multithreading?) with configurable priority? Hence it could run "in the background", while the user does other things. Maybe this is totaly unrealistic, but would it be possible to have a priority setting that could affected things like "scan library", "replaygain scanning", "generating playlists", and by the choice of 3rd party developers, processing done in components, while leaving the playback priority at a higher priority?  I expect this to increase the processing time, but to me, that trade off would be ok if it would mean I could still use foobar2000 no matter what it's processing/generating.

Was this a better explanation? It's ok if it's not something that is interesting to change, or hard to do, as long as the point I'm trying to make is understood.

Taking it even further (or possibly too far), you could introduce priority groups for operations like "replaygain scanning", "scan library", "playlist generation". Playback priority should probably have it's own slider, but other features could be put in one two groups. One for "do as fast as possible", and another for "in the background", with the option to move them back and forth between the two. Making it possible to generate playlists "in the background", while scanning library as fast as possible.

Regarding the Autoplaylist which happens to be an example of a "playlist lock": I already suggested to show this in the statusbar. In the mean time, you can use [a href="http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uzbs/fb2k/misc/foo_playlist_manager.dll]foo_playlist_manager[/url] which was initially designed to solve exactly this problem, but later grew into a beefed-up playlist switcher.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299966"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
A very nice little component. I like the "configure lock" feature, and the increased amount of information it provides about current playlists. Do you plan to continue working on this? Like turning it into a panel that could be used in Columns UI instead of, or alongside, the standard playlist switcher?

Reqarding the "configure lock" feature. Is it just me, or does it feel awkward to choose "configure lock" for a specific playlist, and then in the "autoplaylists dialog" have to choose what playlist to "take over". It's kind of logical that the playlist you choose to "configure", is the one you want to "take over", isn't it?

I'm still just giving my opinion, hoping some of it makes sense, and possibly help making this player even better.

Reply #5
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=300197"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It is called "Don't update files, only change cached info" now.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=300199"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ah, ok... the new preference interface got me confused for a while. But it's for the better. So kudos to the contributors for this new version. For the record and others who may be confused, this option is found under "Tag writing" in the preference.

Reply #6
The progress dialog when scanning the ML is intentional. Peter has said it would be a huge mess to change that. Background creation of the albumlist was attempted at one point, but it was not only significantly slower, it also created additional issues that could not be worked around.

Reqarding the "configure lock" feature. Is it just me, or does it feel awkward to choose "configure lock" for a specific playlist, and then in the "autoplaylists dialog" have to choose what playlist to "take over". It's kind of logical that the playlist you choose to "configure", is the one you want to "take over", isn't it?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=300200"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That is a limitation of the current implementation if Autoplaylist. There's not much my playlist manager component can do about that.

Reply #7
The progress dialog when scanning the ML is intentional. Peter has said it would be a huge mess to change that. Background creation of the albumlist was attempted at one point, but it was not only significantly slower, it also created additional issues that could not be worked around.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=300219"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Ok, thanks for sharing that.

Reqarding the "configure lock" feature. Is it just me, or does it feel awkward to choose "configure lock" for a specific playlist, and then in the "autoplaylists dialog" have to choose what playlist to "take over". It's kind of logical that the playlist you choose to "configure", is the one you want to "take over", isn't it?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=300200"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That is a limitation of the current implementation if Autoplaylist. There's not much my playlist manager component can do about that.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=300219"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yeah, of course, I kind of mixed a feature request/feedback for Autoplaylist with my comment on your component. It was ment more as a feature request for adding more options than just "take over", but I guess such features will be added at some point.

Unless I have missed this feature earlier, QuickFind is a new and very useful feature. Adding the option to "send" or "append" results to the current playlist would make it even better.

Reply #8
Is it possible to add support for applying album gain only?

Reply #9
Is it possible to add support for applying album gain only?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=300266"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Why should that be necessary?

Reply #10
Congrats to Peter and all contributors! By the way, don't forget the special thanks in the about box, or their frustration will be terrible 

A suggestion: What about removing Component libraries from the prefs?
- The DLL list looks redundant with the Components' Module column
- As for the failed-to-load box, there could be a 4th column for it in components (eg Status)
- Imagine you're a new and not very experienced user, and the first thing you see after opening the preferences is a list of 'system files' and a relatively big textbox for those that would fail to load. Not very incentive IMO.

Edit (not to double post):
Two minor things are slightly annoying me. Sorry if I've overlooked something, but      '['%_foobar2000_version%']' can't be customized out of the title bar. Also, when a playlist is loaded, all its items are selected (there's a option for this in Album list config, but it doesn't apply to loaded playlists)

Reply #11
One feature I would like to have in 0.9 is removable media support. I mean way of adding files with some label (possibly a database-only tag) indicating volume and with a property indicating that the files should not be removed when looking for dead files.
After selecting that files from db and detecting that they are not currenty available, a dialog asking to enter media should be displayed. Together with simple to write browser for volumes it would greatly enhance experience for people recording their music onto DVDs or CDs.

Reply #12
I would still like to have DSP chain presets or headphone mode or something similar what could be changed easily.

Reply #13
- when i use masstagger for renaming files/directories, the "same as source file directory" option is very interresting, but an other option near of this one where to have the possibility of keep "same parent directory" (like that, it well be possible to rename the current directory).

- when i use foobar to move files or to rename directories, and when i have others files in the same directory (like covers), i have to move my covers manually, so a good other option where to "move files [*.jpg;*.gif...] with my music" choosing the list of filetypes i want to "move with". The function can be very simple, when a file is moved, if some others files are matching to the filetypes to move with, you move them in the same destination folder. Like that, my cover will be moved with the first music file moved.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273272"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree with these suggestions, from another thread.

Reply #14
Is there a way (I guess with the SDK) for plugins to create database only tags that stay  DB only even when writing tags to files.  So we can store useless tags like PLAY COUNT and LAST PLAYED etc in the DB but not the file (mp3 specificly).  If not is there any chance of this happening anytime?  Sorry if this has been answered in previous threads I haven't seen one though.

Reply #15
Sorry if I've overlooked something, but '['%_foobar2000_version%']' can't be customized out of the title bar.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hmm? You apparently do have overlooked something, at least I'm able to customize it.
[a href="http://img135.echo.cx/my.php?image=foobar2k2705054az.jpg][/url]

Reply #16
Well I can't remove it

Reply #17
A Feature that should be easy to implement and that would improve foobar a lot are regulare expressions.
http://www.pcre.org/

Using pcre should be a lot faster than using multiple $strstr and $substr calls, so besides the obvious extreme increase in power, we would also gain a lot of speed.

Reply #18
Personally, I'd like to see a "Shuffle (Rule Set)" playback mode somewhat like kode54's old foo_shuffle component. It would allow you to set the shuffle parameters in the preferences, which in turn would affect how the player shuffled. By setting the parameters to "+artist|-album", it would shuffle by same artist, different album. So, if I was playing a song on Tool's "Lateralus" album, the player would shuffle to another Tool song but on a different album.

Also, phasing out "Random" and replacing it with "Shuffle (track)" would be a good idea. From what I can gather, random just plays songs randomly whereas shuffle plays songs randomly and then eliminates the chance of playing that song again. So, Random seems pretty useless and just adds to the confusion of all the new playback modes in 0.9.

My proposed playback modes:
  • Repeat All
  • Repeat One
  • Shuffle [span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']<-- Random replaced with Shuffle (track)[/span]
  • Shuffle (Rule Set)

The only other thing that I could suggest for 0.9 is that there be an option to choose between writing unicode and ISO ID3v2 tags. Besides that, foobar 0.9 is perfect. Thanks.
</signature>

Reply #19
COOL I really like how the DSP manager has changed! It looks neat now, its not like the old 0.8.3 which will have many many branches if you install more and more DSP

I just would like to suggest that
- Playback/input
- Playback/output
- components

also follow the DSP manager!
selecting the plugin I want to configure, then click the "configure selected" button.

It will make the preference windows less branched and looks neat

Reply #20
-Ability to use foobar while various things are happening/updating.  Currently importing new files, using the freebd tagger, or using the file renamer disables foobar's GUI until the opertion is complete.  This is annoying if you are working with a large number of files.

Reply #21
Hi

There are some things that I miss since foobar2000 0.8.3...

- Ability to enable/disable playback buttons tooltips.

- Ability to enable/disable "Now playing" submenu in the system tray.

- Ability to control "Status bar" options ("Font..." and "Show total time of selection") from Preferences, not from status bar.

Useless feature suggestions:

- The order in "General -> Main menu items" is [Foobar2000 - Playback - Playlist - System - Help - Components] but I think it would be better to display it in the same way the GUI... [Foobar2000 - Playback - Playlist - Components - Help - System]

Related to the normal installer:

- I think it would be great to include "foo_unpack.dll" in the normal package, since it is very useful and it is just 188KB in size

Sorry for my bad english

Byes
Yakusoku wa iranai.

Reply #22
Can foo_midi also register the .midi extension?
f to c to f to c

Reply #23
Personally, I'd like to see a "Shuffle (Rule Set)" playback mode somewhat like kode54's old foo_shuffle component. It would allow you to set the shuffle parameters in the preferences, which in turn would affect how the player shuffled. By setting the parameters to "+artist|-album", it would shuffle by same artist, different album. So, if I was playing a song on Tool's "Lateralus" album, the player would shuffle to another Tool song but on a different album.

Also, phasing out "Random" and replacing it with "Shuffle (track)" would be a good idea. From what I can gather, random just plays songs randomly whereas shuffle plays songs randomly and then eliminates the chance of playing that song again. So, Random seems pretty useless and just adds to the confusion of all the new playback modes in 0.9.

My proposed playback modes:
  • Repeat All
  • Repeat One
  • Shuffle [span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']<-- Random replaced with Shuffle (track)[/span]
  • Shuffle (Rule Set)

The only other thing that I could suggest for 0.9 is that there be an option to choose between writing unicode and ISO ID3v2 tags. Besides that, foobar 0.9 is perfect. Thanks.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=301047"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Almost exactly what I was just going to post. What I'd like to see is the ability to change the album grouping format in Shuffle (album). It doesn't really work with my way of tagging compilations (like Best Of albums etc), as I store the album release year in %album date% and use %date% for the year the tracks were first released. Currently Shuffle (album) only treats the songs which have the same %date% tag as an album.

Reply #24
consider adding lyric3 tag writing. also some option to keep file "times" (of update etc.) unchanged after updating tags. would be nice if foobar would support showing that there is some picture/cover inside id3v2 tag, also possibility of extracting of this file would be nice.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019