Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC - individual tracks vs an image of the disc (Read 2472 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC - individual tracks vs an image of the disc

I've used EAC for years but always ripped individual tracks rather than one WAV file with a CUE sheet. I decided to test this some more and first ripped one disc to individual FLAC files and then to WAV+CUE. First I used Shntool's md5 function to compare them.

shntool md5 -c *.flac
shntool md5 "Pawn Hearts.wav"

The sums don't match for some reason. I then decide to use Shntool to join the individual tracks to one WAV file and then compare the two WAV files (the joined one and the one created by EAC's image function) with EAC and get this:

Then... I open both the individual FLAC files and the CUE sheet of the WAV with foobar2000 and use bit-compare tracks

INFO (foo_bitcompare) : Comparing:
INFO (foo_bitcompare) : location: "file://D:\Pawn Hearts.cue" (1)
INFO (foo_bitcompare) : location: "file://V:\musakki\1971-Pawn Hearts\01-Lemmings (Including Cog).flac" (0)
INFO (foo_bitcompare) : No differences in decoded data found.
INFO (foo_bitcompare) : Finished successfully.
INFO (foo_bitcompare) : location: "file://D:\Pawn Hearts.cue" (2)
INFO (foo_bitcompare) : location: "file://V:\musakki\1971-Pawn Hearts\02-Man-Erg.flac" (0)
INFO (foo_bitcompare) : location: "file://D:\Pawn Hearts.cue" (3)
INFO (foo_bitcompare) : location: "file://V:\musakki\1971-Pawn Hearts\03-A Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers.flac" (0)

Suddenly they are identical again 

What causes the differences between the WAV file with WAV+CUE function and individual tracks?

Reply #1
What causes the differences between the WAV file with WAV+CUE function and individual tracks?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=300529"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

depending on your gap settings when ripping to individual tracks and if your using the right cuesheet the track breaks will be different one the individual files vs the single wav.  When burned it should be indentical.  By defualt EAC appends gaps to the previous track.  An image file AFAIK works more like appending gaps to the next track.  Also your comparing indivual tracks to a single wav file, which isn't really an accurate way of comparing.  Try splitting the single WAV with the cuesheet in EAC with the same gap method you rip with and compare it then.

Reply #2
Thanks for the reply. Strangely enough I did just that. No difference whatsoever... they were identical again.

Edit: By using Tools/Split WAV By CUE Sheet/With Gaps and then foobar2000's bit-compare.