Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 v0.9 public beta (Read 273320 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 v0.9 public beta

Reply #25
Also, the new volume control seems to be very exponential in its shape, perhaps a little too much so?

This has always been the case with the volume control DSP.

Reply #26
Also, the new volume control seems to be very exponential in its shape, perhaps a little too much so?

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299611"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well it seems a little bit of a waste doesn't it? 50% of the slider is useless this way, and any fine adjustment in the latter ranges of the volume become more difficult.

Reply #27
Also, the new volume control seems to be very exponential in its shape, perhaps a little too much so? All the volume changes from 100% back to what appears to be very close to 0% occur in the top 20% (alright lets say 40-50% instead...) of the volume slider.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299609"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It is very much non-exponential. It alters the gain linearly using a scale of decibels. You don't get more perceptually linear than that.

Reply #28

Volume is not DSP component anymore.

Reply #29

As I understand it, mathematically it is linear.  You can blame the human ear for making it sound like it's not.

Edit: I was to slow, Canar beat me to it.

Reply #30
0.9 beta is working very well so far.  Field remapping sounds interesting.  I'll have to check with some of my improperly and untagged files.

The menu items are perfect, IMHO.  I can't wait for the final release.

Reply #31

As I understand it, mathematically it is linear.  You can blame the human ear for making it sound like it's not.

Edit: I was to slow, Canar beat me to it.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299619"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well alright, its mathematically linear, yet sounds exponential... The end user isn't gonna care what its doing mathematically, he's only gonna care what it sounds like right?
And anyway, why does it matter what the DSP used to do? As far as it goes, its a waste leaving half of the slider there doing absolutely nothing apart from dropping the volume ever further beyond the hearing range.

Edit: And is anyone else getting distortion when playing at 16bit???

Reply #32
Deal with it.  Most high end audio systems work on the decibel system.  So does foobar2000.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299627"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, he is right, that for normal listening (so, when its not about audio-editing and DSPs) changing the volume in non-linear steps is more natural and intuitive. However, i dont really see this as such a big deal if it works in linear steps. If that is the primary problem of fb2k, then things are in pretty good shape ;)

edit: the field-remappings are a great idea. It will probably mean lots of initial work for me, but make things easier and more clean in the long-run.

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #33
Deal with it.  Most high end audio systems work on the decibel system.  So does foobar2000, has done since it's inception, and will continue to do so.

Edit 1: On the distortion issue.  I get no distortion at 16-bit/24-bit using an Audigy 2 Platinum Pro on Windows XP MCE 2005.

Edit 2: Playback does stop periodically though, in the middle of a song.  foobar2000 says it's still playing, but the playback slider is not moving, and no sound comes out of the speaker.  Out of curiosity, what output method does this beta use.  DirectSound I presume?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299627"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

lol I already dealt with volume issues long ago when I started using foobar, using the system wave volume instead. It's only because its a new feature that I thought i would mention the lack of any audible change over the last 50% of the slider. But meh if its only gonna stir up the hornets nest, I'll leave be.
And on the distortion issue, weird. Its definitely the only program I've seen that distorts like that, there def a problem somewhere.
And yes I've also noticed that stepping issue as well.

Reply #34
So is autoplaylist built in? I don't see it as a plugin. One thing I would like to see added to it is the ability to just have it create a new playlist rather than having to create a playlist outside of it to "take over."

Reply #35
foo_autoplaylist.dll?

I also would like the ability to create a new playlist as apposed to taking over an old one.

Reply #36
BTW you can get normal and full from beta news now!! Direct http download.

For those who need it.
God Bless U.S.A

Reply #37
hmmm. It seems that this foo_autoplaylist.dll and a few others weren't showing up under "components." Looks like it doesn't show components without name/version info anymore, thus the discrepency.

Reply #38
It never showed components without name/version info in the components section.

Reply #39
I got 3 icons on my desktop pointing to my 0.8.3 folder the quicklaunch icon launches the 0.9

At the first start, I got a problem like "reading configuration file failed" now it works fine

Reply #40
i hope an option will be added that keeps foobar out of the taskbar permanently. this beta like all previous versions puts foobar in the taskbar when it's "unminimized". i'd like to keep the icon in the sys tray when running and that's it.

also, is there a way to hide the default playlist tab? i don't think this beta let's you hide it.

will kernal streaming be back eventually?

Reply #41
will kernal streaming be back eventually?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299657"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm hoping that all the output plugins had some work done for the final release.

Reply #42
1. PLEASE ADD A WARNING IN ORIGINAL POST. I mean there'll, like me, be millions of people who will accidentally leave the user profiles option in the installer on; this results in fb2k0.9 trying to read it (the %appdata%\foobar2000\foobar2000.conf)and also screw it up. The configuration file gets broken and will not be usable for 0.83 any more.

2. And it deleted all my playlists in %appdata%\foobar2000\playlists\ except a defaultr.fpl. It's good to have backups

3. The playback queue seems to be a foo_temple equivalent? Where can I watch the queue?

Reply #43
Oh, no! The tbar_foo plugin does not work for the new version.. Im so used to using it, so now I cant live without it :-) ... Ohwell, I guess ill install the "old" version again, or wait untill the author updates it (like that will ever happend)... But the 0.9 version looks good! I like the new preferences and the improved volume changes.

Reply #44
Where can I watch the queue?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299665"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You currently cannot. There was discussion during the closed tests how to do this, however there was no conclusion, and there were more pressing issues to solve.

Reply #45
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
MajorGeeks also has a http download now of 0.9 Beta 3
[a href="http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4003.html]http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4003.html[/url]
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #46

For those who need it.

I must be being thick this morning - what is "beta news"?

Or, to put it another way - please tell me how to download over HTTP - I'm at work and BitTorrent and eMule/eDonkey are highly frowned upon!

I've got shivers.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #47

For those who need it.

I must be being thick this morning - what is "beta news"?

Or, to put it another way - please tell me how to download over HTTP - I'm at work and BitTorrent and eMule/eDonkey are highly frowned upon!

I've got shivers.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299678"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's news site www.betanews.com. Almost all major software site has foobar2000 for download. You can also try majorgeeks.com, posted above.

Reply #48
It's news site www.betanews.com. Almost all major software site has foobar2000 for download. You can also try majorgeeks.com, posted above.

Thanks richter.  Downloading now.

I've never heard of betanews.com.  If they'd have said majorgeeks I would have got it. 
I'm on a horse.

Reply #49
Everything is going fine at the moment. Breezing along. I'm going to keep it running for a while, see how it performs.

..However, is there a way to export my old keyboard shortcuts from foobar 0.93 to this latest beta?