Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 24-bit in Winamp (Read 5173 times) previous topic - next topic

24-bit in Winamp

I'm using the MAD plugin for Winamp and it works great. Are there any similar plugins for WMA or AAC that allows you to decode to 24-bit?

Does Foobar decode WMA and AAC to 24-bit?

24-bit in Winamp

Reply #1
In Foobar2000, you can choose to output the files as 24bit if you wish.  But AFAIK, increasing the rate from the original 16bit music file (assuming it 16 bits to begin with) will not yield any audible quality increase.

24-bit in Winamp

Reply #2
foobar2000 decodes lossy formats to 32bit floating-point. It usually sends the decoded data to the soundcard as 16bit integer, but this can be changed.

Converting 16bit to 24bit isn't going to help with audio quality, true, but MP3 is not 16bit integer, it's floating-point.

Decoded output should be at a bitdepth that your soundcard can handle natively: 16bit integer, in most cases.

24-bit in Winamp

Reply #3
foobar2000 decodes lossy formats to 32bit floating-point.

What about Winamp?

Converting 16bit to 24bit isn't going to help with audio quality, true, but MP3 is not 16bit integer, it's floating-point.

What about WMA and AAC?

Can Winamp output as 24bit?

I prefer the Winamp UI to Foobar but I want to make sure that I'm not sacrificing any quality.

24-bit in Winamp

Reply #4
Winamp's architecture isn't as clean and well thought out as fb2k's, so getting a 24bit signal depends on multiple elements in your playback chain.
The input, DSP and output PlugIns must all support 24bit.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

24-bit in Winamp

Reply #5
I prefer the Winamp UI to Foobar but I want to make sure that I'm not sacrificing any quality.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=298742"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There's a number of Winamp style skins available for foobar.

24-bit in Winamp

Reply #6
foobar2000 decodes lossy formats to 32bit floating-point. It usually sends the decoded data to the soundcard as 16bit integer, but this can be changed.
But where is 64 bit floating-point used in fb2k?

24-bit in Winamp

Reply #7

What about Winamp?

IIRC the native decoding engine can't decode to 24 bits, only 16 (i haven't used winamp 5 so i can't tell you if anything changed). you could use different plugins for winamp, such as MAD, in order to decode to 24 bits or 32 bit float.

But where is 64 bit floating-point used in fb2k?

you can choose the 64 bit float from preferences > playback > output. unless you change the default settings if you choose to dither i believe it decodes to 32 bit float and back to 16 bits.
Be healthy, be kind, grow rich and prosper

24-bit in Winamp

Reply #8

What about Winamp?

What about WMA and AAC?

Can Winamp output as 24bit?

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=298742"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There may be 24 bit decoders for those codecs.  I wouldn't worry about it too much.  24 bit doesn't make a huge difference, and I think you would have trouble ABXing it.