Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Where can I find Yuden or Mitsubishi CDs? (Read 12220 times) previous topic - next topic

Where can I find Yuden or Mitsubishi CDs?

I read the sticky and these come as the most highly recommended.  I'm guessing for the TY's I could go to Best Buy or something and just search for Fuji Film cd's made in Japan (if my theory is correct).

Any suggestions?

Reply #2
http://www.cdrwinkel.com

Should work for most of Europe.

Reply #3
I read the sticky and these come as the most highly recommended.  I'm guessing for the TY's I could go to Best Buy or something and just search for Fuji Film cd's made in Japan (if my theory is correct).

Any suggestions?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Fuji 50 packs are TY's made in Japan.  Most Fuji 100 packs, however, are not TY and are made in Taiwan.

I assume you're in the States since you're talking about Best Buy.

I typically order from here: [a href="http://www.cdroutlet.com/taiyo-yuden-cdr.htm]http://www.cdroutlet.com/taiyo-yuden-cdr.htm[/url]

Reply #4
I usally buy Verbatim's...they're either from Yuden or Mitsubishi (depending on what product you choose). They are nice, because they have some extra scratch-resistance protection layer...look for "Super Azo" or "DataLife Plus"...I usally buy them from here:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?edc=516402

or if you only need 50

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...=&O=&sku=300526

but you could also check out www.verbatim.com for more products and details...they tell you where you get them for a pretty good price too, just click "buy now"
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #5
...Verbatim's...they're either from Yuden or Mitsubishi... ...look for "Super Azo" or "DataLife Plus"...

I think I encountered Verbatims that were Moser Baer, which was better than the lowly average, but not at the level of TY (dunno about Mitubishi).

Hopefully Super Azo/DataLife Plus is enough indication.

An alternative manufacturer which is rather ok accordingly to my tests is Prodisc, though it's not as good as TY.  I get these here as Nashua branded discs.  (Although now they only come in spindles and I have to start looking again for alternatives).

Reply #6
...look for "Super Azo" or "DataLife Plus"

Definitely look for that, and where they were made. I bought a Verbatim 50 pack spindle without those markings (from Best Buy), and they were lousy CMCs.

ATIP: 97m 26s 66f
Mfgr: CMC Magnetics Corp
Recording Layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)

These were made in Taiwan. Ones made by Moser Baer will be from India.
IIRC, TY or Mitsubishi discs will be from Japan.

Reply #7
they were lousy CMC

CMC sold under Verbatim brand is not as lousy as those unbranded CMC
they are the better disc produced by CMC, they are even better than Ritek.

"Verbatim DataLife Plus Super Azo "  are from Mitsubishi

"Verbatim DataLife Pastel" are from Taiyo Yuden

"Verbatim DataLife" are from CMC

"Verbatim Gold" from Prodisc?

Edit: Recently, I saw some Verbatim Gold, are they from Prodisc? Verbatim is shipping prodisc these days?

Reply #8
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=292597"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not always. I've got this 25 spindle of "DataLifePlus super azo" which are made in India.

Reply #9
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=292597"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not always. I've got this 25 spindle of "DataLifePlus super azo" which are made in India.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=292599"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

They are made by Moser Baer under licence from Mitsubishi. In my experience, these are even the best Super Azo "Mitsubishis" around - I've used hundreds of them and they have been more consistent in quality than "Made in EU" or "Made in Mexico" ones.
Proverb for Paranoids: "If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers."
-T. Pynchon (Gravity's Rainbow)

Reply #10
IIRC, TY or Mitsubishi discs will be from Japan.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=292578"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

TY is made in Japan ... 'original' MCC will be made in Singapore
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Reply #11

Verbatim SuperAzo 52X sold in my country are mostly from Taiwan, they are produced by CMC Magnetics (not sure). They have Mitsubishi ATIP code. Their burnt quality at 24X is indeed excellent and on a par with TY.  But their perfomance at high speed is quite disappointing

Reply #12
This topic has come up in the past.  After spending a lot of time reading about how this or that brand may or may not be made by TY and spending lots of time looking at packs of CD-R in the local stores, I got to wondering why not just buy TY from a web seller.  I thought they may not be available but a quick google for Taiyo Yuden CDR resulted in lots of vendors selling TY by name.
So the next time I need blank media I will try one of them.
A couple of notes
Some sellers are oriented towards quantity users and may have mininum lots of 600 or a minimum order that is more than the average consumer would want.  Others do seem to sell in units of 100 CDs.  I have not actually tried an order yet.
Another advantage of ordering from the web is choice.  You can find TY with no writing surface(for your own stick on labels or silk screen), white laser printable, white inkjet printable, silver laser or inkjet printable.  The only type I have seen in stores is the normal silver writeable.

If you insist on buying in the local store there is another way to tell if its TY.  The cakebox used by TY is different than the others .  Search for TY on the web and look at the shape where the top connects to the base.  Its a lot easier to pick that out on the shelf than to find the "made in Japan" fine  print.

While searching the web this weekend for TY I came across an interesting statement.  One vendor claims that TY is the only manufacturer of CDR in Japan.  So if it says made in Japan, it must by TY.  Has anyone else heard or verified this?

Reply #13
Another way to tell a TY disc is to look in the cake box and if the inner ring on the discs is "frosted," then it is a TY.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #14
@bobwood

Don't buy large quantities if you havent tested TYs before with your CD-Writer!

I made that mistake once and regretted it. The CDR-Media alone is no guarantee for HQ-writes - its the combination of the CD-Writer and CD-Media which counts. Even though TYs result in high-quality writes for *most* people, cd-writers do exist which perform horrible with them. Mitsubishis in turn may perform great on these cd-writers.... but worse on other writers(i had very bad experiences with mitsubishis and a HP cd-writer).

So, better buy a handful of TYs and mitsubishis first...... and then try which of those two work best with your cd-writer, before ordering large quantities.

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #15
verbatim is owned by mitsubishi but some of the media that used to be manufactured by mitsubishi, like datalifeplus, is now CMC. at least that's how it is here in canada.
Be healthy, be kind, grow rich and prosper

Reply #16
If you must buy retail then it's either Fuji Made in Japan or Maxell CD-R Pro.
Of online stores, Rima has an immaculate reputation, great service and good prices.

Reply #17
I've got some Verbatim DataLife Plus made in China. Are those any good?
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.

Reply #18
I don't know, but not all TY are of excellent quality. I have this pack of pastel Verbatims certified for 52x and so far, all writers I tried (LITE-ON LTR-52246S, LTR-52327S, SOHR-5238S; Plextor PX-712A, PX-716A; NEC 1300A). After burning, the discs are almost unreadable in any devices, including home stereo systems. I tried burning them at speeds between 16x and 52x but always the same result. The media was produced in Japan and has TY02 as manufacturer ID.

Edit: The 48x Verbatim pastel discs are much better on the other side.

Reply #19
check club.cdfreaks.com for media reviews.  Most cdfreaks regulars are incredible nitpickers, with a wealth of media information that you will need to make good decisions..  also be aware that there are even fake Taiyo Yuden media available from some online sellers.  The name alone is no guarantee. 
I personally recommend the Ridata-branded CDs available from rima.com if you require the best burns with most burners.  They are quite exceptional.

edit:  check the type of dye once you buy..  http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=78443 has some info, there's tons more elsewhere.

Reply #20
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=304675"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I also recently bought those and am very impressed: I get consistently 0.2 C1 average (no C2 of course) with my Plextor 716A, which is even better than Taiyo Yuden and practically the best I ever got from any media.
Proverb for Paranoids: "If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers."
-T. Pynchon (Gravity's Rainbow)

Reply #21
Any good places to get TY discs in Sydney/Australia?

Reply #22
I don't know, but not all TY are of excellent quality. I have this pack of pastel Verbatims certified for 52x and so far, all writers I tried (LITE-ON LTR-52246S, LTR-52327S, SOHR-5238S; Plextor PX-712A, PX-716A; NEC 1300A). After burning, the discs are almost unreadable in any devices, including home stereo systems. I tried burning them at speeds between 16x and 52x but always the same result. The media was produced in Japan and has TY02 as manufacturer ID.

Edit: The 48x Verbatim pastel discs are much better on the other side.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=304739"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

well, I was asking because the ones I got totally suck - at least my burner doesn't like them. My CD-Player reads it without any problems, but my DVD-Drive needs forever to read them. But once it got used to the CD it works, even at high-speed. My CD-Burner makes weird noises when reading the CD. I used to use the previous 48x "DataLife Plus" series and didn't have any problems, but the new 52x ones are the ones I'm having problems with. So I'm not sure what's going on. I don't care for the speed, because I still burn at 4x...

Btw. I heart that the Verbatims DataLife Plus were from Mitsubishi?

In addition, how do I test the quality of the CD? I've tried Nero Speed, but my CD-Recorder reads them just fine...so I've no idea if it has to correct stuff or not...

Reply #23
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=304675"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I also recently bought those and am very impressed: I get consistently 0.2 C1 average (no C2 of course) with my Plextor 716A, which is even better than Taiyo Yuden and practically the best I ever got from any media.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=304766"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

how do you test C1 errors?

Reply #24
Btw. I heart that the Verbatims DataLife Plus were from Mitsubishi?

They can also be from CMC and Moser bayer, made with license from MCC...

Edit: Typo.