Skip to main content

Topic: Convert Ape to MP3 (Read 18427 times) previous topic - next topic

Convert Ape to MP3
Hi,

It's no problem for me to convert a cdimage.ape file with a cdimage.ape.cue file to separate mp3 files using foorbar2000. However the files are named 001 CDImage.ape.mp3, 002 CDImage.ape.mp3, etc. How to convert in a way that the names in the playlist are used?

Some cdimage.ape files come withe a cdimage.ape.cue file and others with a cdimage.cue file. What's the difference?

Last question, with Foobar I use Lame 3.96.1. How to convert in a way that the result is a 192kbps file (instead of 227).

• Synthetic Soul
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Convert Ape to MP3
Reply #1
I  think this page may be of use.

It explains how to transcode from an APE image file to track MP3s, and touches on both output filename formatting and setting up a CLI encoder profile.

If you find it lacking please let me know and I'll try to help further, and maybe update the page.

There is not necessarily any difference between a cuesheet named CDImage.ape.cue, or CDImage.cue (it's just a filename) - although it is very possible one named CDImage.cue is still pointing to a WAVE file instead of an APE file (unless manually edited).  To check, open the cuesheet in Notepad and check the FILE command line.
  • Last Edit: 20 April, 2005, 05:02:44 PM by Synthetic Soul
I'm on a horse.

Convert Ape to MP3
Reply #2
Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately I don't succeed in converting the titles. I'm using the playlist that comes with the ape-file and the standard string in the output name file formatting box:$num(%_diskwriter_index%,3) %_filename%. The result is 001 cdimage.ape.mp3, etc.; while the playlist gives correct titles!

• seanyseansean
  • [*][*][*][*]
  • Members (Donating)
Convert Ape to MP3
Reply #3
Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately I don't succeed in converting the titles. I'm using the playlist that comes with the ape-file and the standard string in the output name file formatting box:$num(%_diskwriter_index%,3) %_filename%. The result is 001 cdimage.ape.mp3, etc.; while the playlist gives correct titles!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=292731"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It'll help if you post the cue file.

Convert Ape to MP3
Reply #4
I changed the output file name formatting box in:

$if2(%artist%,'Unknown Artist')\$if2(%album%,)\$if(%tracknumber%,$num(%tracknumber%,2),$num(%_diskwriter_index%,3))

The playlist shows:
PERFORMER "Schubert and Boccherini"
TITLE "Schubert Boccherini"
FILE "CDImage.ape" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "I. Allegro ma non troppo"
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "II. Adagio"
    INDEX 01 20:11:42
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "III. Scherzo. Presto — Trio. Andante sostenuto"
    INDEX 01 33:53:60
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "IV. Allegreto"
    INDEX 01 45:28:17
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "I. Andantino mosso (Amoroso)"
    INDEX 00 54:59:01
    INDEX 01 55:07:02
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    TITLE "II. [Allegro con spirito]"
    INDEX 01 59:59:00
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    TITLE "III. Minuetto (con un poco di moto)"
    INDEX 01 65:31:00
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
    TITLE "IV. Rondo. Allegretto (Andante)"
    INDEX 01 69:14:00

After "convert" the filename of the first mp3 file is:
Schubert and Boccherini_Schubert Boccherini_01 .mp3 (etc.)

I expected: "I. Allegro ma non troppo"

• Synthetic Soul
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Convert Ape to MP3
Reply #5
You missed a bit of the guide:

The default string will name the files using the playlist number (%_diskwriter_index%) and the filename of the source file (%_filename%). I use the following string, with the "Create subdirectories" checkbox checked:

Code: [Select]
$if2(%artist%,'Unknown Artist')\$if2(%album%,)\$if(%tracknumber%,$num(%tracknumber%,2),$num(%_diskwriter_index%,3)) 
- $if2(%title%,%_filename%)

With a properly tagged file, this string will create a path like: <artist>\<album>\<tracknumber> - <title>.ext - e.g.: "Green Day\American Idiot\01 - American Idiot.mp3". The resulting path will degrade gradually - if no artist tag is present "Unknown Artists" will be used, and if no tags are present it will revert to the playlist number and filename (e.g.: "001 - CDImage.ape"). If you've followed the guide our APE files are tagged adequately.
I'm on a horse.