Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Look for a good 192 cbr setting for use with mp3cue (Read 4471 times) previous topic - next topic

Look for a good 192 cbr setting for use with mp3cue

hi there
i want to store some music-mixes and so i decided to use mp3cue - an now i want to know should i use

- lame.exe -b 192 -mj

or

- lame.exe --dm-preset cbr 192?

are there any tweaks in dibroms cbr command line or is it the same as pure lame with cbr 192

thx mr. pi

:confused:

Reply #1
The --dm-preset cbr 192 provides better quality in harder to encode songs. I am sure someone more knowledgeable than me can provide some technical details but I remember Dibrom focusing on pre-echo and transients.
On the other hand dibrom's preset is about twice as slow but I don't think this is much of a problem unless you have an older PC or you're encoding under time constraints.
Also make sure you're using a recent and proven-quality binary of Lame as various options are defaulted with each version

Reply #2
Tell me, what is --dm-preset CBR 192 the equivalent to?
What I'm using right now is
-h -b 192 -m j --nssafejoint --lowpass 19.5 --athtype 2 --nspsytune -Z
Would the dm preset be better?

Reply #3
--dm-preset CBR 192

is the best you can get imo!

Reply #4
But what I want to know is how it's different (if at all) from the commandline I've posted.

Reply #5
Originally posted by NeoRenegade
But what I want to know is how it's different (if at all) from the commandline I've posted.
If you wanna see the settings used in the official source, go to http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs...e.c?sortby=date
The latest revision of Parse.c is at the moment 1.123 for the latest alpha build, click the annotate in that line, and go to the line 950. You'll see some of the settings used (it says switch mapping for abr, but cbr is forced abr in this case).

So --dm-preset cbr 192 is:
-h -b 192 -m j --nssafejoint --nsmsfix 1.7 --lowpass 19.5 --athtype 2 --nspsytune --ns-bass -2 --scale 0.97

The differences to your switch are: No -Z (dm-preset cbr 192 uses noise shaping type 2 which enables scalefac_scale), nsmsfix 1.7, ns-bass -2, scale 0.97
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #6
I think by placing --nspsytune after your ath selection you are reverting back to athtype 0 as well which is a bit of a problem here as well. If this behaviour has changed I apologize for posting the correction but it would really adversely affect your encode.

Reply #7
No, --verbose shows athtype 2, and if removed it reverts to athtype 4.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #8
'Kay. But if mp3cue is the goal here, it wont work right for me on my box anyway without -t. Otherwise winamp still sees it as a vbr file:confused: