Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Copying 'Protected' CD (Read 4135 times) previous topic - next topic

Copying 'Protected' CD

I save CDs that I buy with FLAC on my computer, to listen to while on the computer and to re-burn CDs that get scratched, lost, etc.

I recently bought 'Faso Latidio' by A Static Lullaby, to find out that they are now on Columbia and it has been locked down by Sony.

Don't worry though, they let you rip it to a 'variety of file formats' with included software.  The 'variety' is WMA and some retarded portable format I've never heard of. 

EAC won't rip it to a WAV, but supposedly all of Sony's crap doesnt effect the CD on Macs though.  I don't own a Mac but have access to them.

Has anybody overcome this problem with other CDs?  Or does anybody have a suggestion for ripping software for a Mac?

Thanks,
Ryan

Copying 'Protected' CD

Reply #1
Has anybody overcome this problem with other CDs?  Or does anybody have a suggestion for ripping software for a Mac?

Thanks,
Ryan
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't know if a Mac will actually be able to rip this particular copy-protected CD, but certainly iTunes is the most popular ripping method on the Mac.  You can't rip directly to FLAC, but you can rip to WAV and then convert to FLAC using another utility.  I personally have taken a liking to [a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21952]xACT[/url], which is a utility for converting to and from different lossless formats, including FLAC, Shorten, Monkey's Audio, etc.  It can also serve as a GUI frontend for cdda2wav, which offers Paranoia support for ripping to WAV, if you don't trust the iTunes ripper.  It's probably the closest you'll get to EAC on the Mac, anyway, in terms of secure ripping.

Copying 'Protected' CD

Reply #2
Don't worry though, they let you rip it to a 'variety of file formats' with included software.  The 'variety' is WMA and some retarded portable format I've never heard of. 

Since it is Sony the second format is probably Atrac (used on minidisk)

And you probably wouldn't be ripping to these formats.. I bet the encoded files are already on the disc and it just lets you copy them to your computer, while possibly setting up the DRM for those files as well.

Remember, if it is copy protected it generally isn't really a CD (look for the logo indicating that it is a genuine "CD" or "Compact Disc") even though music stores carry them in the same bins with real CD's.

Copying 'Protected' CD

Reply #3
I'll try messing around with it on a mac when I have time, but has anybody had any success with getting a CD like this ripped into .wav any way or am I just fighting a losing battle against Sony and Microsoft moving their crappy audio formats?

Guess I could always just encode everything in 92kbps mp3, go find a pair of the apple ipod tin cans, and leave my ER-4's at home 

If anybody has had any success please let me know

Thanks,
Ryan

Copying 'Protected' CD

Reply #4
The cd rips to WAV fine on a mac through iTunes.

Funny, guess I can't say macs are totally useless anymore 

Copying 'Protected' CD

Reply #5

Since it is Sony the second format is probably Atrac (used on minidisk)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=293130"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

a bit offtopic: Sony's MD-ATRAC and ATRAC for their memory sticks and such aren't the same !
I know that I know nothing. But how can I then know that ?

Copying 'Protected' CD

Reply #6
you should be able to rip anything in EAC that plays on a CD player.

try disable that cursed "autoplay" pseudo-feature that XP constantly bugs people with.  holding shift when entering the CD will do it, butin my experience it just turns on "stickykeys"... another crap pseudo-feature of win2k and XP.

it can also be disabled in control panel somewhere, but its location eludes me for now (google has everything...)

if you still can, return the CD to the store and explain that you're unable to play it back properly on your computer - the wma/atrac files sound terrible and you'd really like to listen to the actual CD audio on your machine.  there may be an uncrippled version in an online store somewhere.