Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Binary compatibility with different compilers (Read 2475 times) previous topic - next topic

Binary compatibility with different compilers

Out of curiosity, if I were to use another compiler, such as g++ from dev-cpp, to compile and link the dlls for foobar components, would I have any problems using that component in foobar? I recall reading somewhere that using different compilers could cause issues with other programs--for example, compiling Firefox using the GNU compiler would break compatibiliy with plugins--but I've never confirmed this.

Binary compatibility with different compilers

Reply #1
The GNU C++ compiler is not compatible with the Microsoft compiler on the ABI (Application Binary Interface) level; even different versions of the GNU compiler produce incompatible binaries, because they changed the ABI. Since Dev-C++ uses the MinGW port of GCC, you will not be able to create working foobar2000 components with it (unless you feel like porting the foobar2000 SDK to pure C first, which won't be fun or easy).

There might be a way, if you can change the compiler that Dev-C++ uses: you could then grab a free version of Microsoft's compiler from their website and use that.