Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3 to WAV, applying ReplayGain album values? (Read 3755 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3 to WAV, applying ReplayGain album values?

Hi to everybody, first post here for me. Been a lurker for the past year or so. HA is always a fascinating read.

On to my question.

I'm using Slimdevices Squeezebox to play both FLAC and MP3 files on my home stereo.

With FLAC files the Slimserver program is capable of handling replaygain, by using a command like this:

Code: [Select]
flc wav squeezebox *
        $flac$ -dcs --apply-replaygain-which-is-not-lossless=a --force-raw-format --endian=little --sign=signed $FILE$

This sends a WAV file to the Squeezebox with the volume changes from replaygain already implemented.

My question is: does an MP3 decoder exists with an option similar to the --apply-replaygain-which-is-not-lossless from FLAC?

I've tried searching and reading the FAQ, with no luck. But sorry in advance if this came up before and got already answered. I searched for an hour before posting.

Reply #1
... even a simple "no, nothing like this exists" would be fine...

Reply #2
The normal way of dealing with mp3 files would be to mp3gain them in which case the volume is already adjusted on decode.

Reply #3
The normal way of dealing with mp3 files would be to mp3gain them in which case the volume is already adjusted on decode.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=284904"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes, but what if I didn't want to use MP3gain (and I should have specified this in my first post), due to its 1.5 db coarseness? Is there a CLI solution or not?

Reply #4
So you're looking for a command line mp3 decoder which supports ReplayGain tags of some kind?

btw, I wouldn't let the 1.5 db coarseness of mp3gain worry you!

Cheers,
David.

Reply #5
So you're looking for a command line mp3 decoder which supports ReplayGain tags of some kind?
I'm looking for a Win command line decoder that allows me to obtain a WAV file with replaygain changes already applied. Which is something you can easily do with FLAC.EXE.

Reply #6
Perhaps Madplay?

Reply #7
Perhaps Madplay?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=285194"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I've been looking for a Win32/DOS version but could not find it. Also, I'm not sure it does what I need, but it'd be nice to give it a try. Anybody knows of a Win CLI version?

Reply #8
Perhaps Madplay?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=285194"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I've been looking for a Win32/DOS version but could not find it. Also, I'm not sure it does what I need, but it'd be nice to give it a try. Anybody knows of a Win CLI version?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=285491"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've found it. And it does what I need (at least judging by the options available). Many thanks Gabriel, you gave me a great suggestion. Kudos to you! 

Reply #9
Alas... as I discovered in this thread madplay is currently not up to my needs.

Any other CLI decoder supporting replaygain tags from Foobar?

Reply #10
I feel a little hesitant saying this, but maybe you could call foobar2000 from the command line to decode to WAV.

Set up a separate copy of foobar2000, and configure it to run the diskwriter with Replay Gain, decoding to a directory of your choice. (Or to the same directory as the source file.) Set it to always decode to fixed point WAV, at the same bitdepth as the original source. Set normal output to null, not wavout or directsound.

Code: [Select]
c:\path\to\foobar2000.exe d:\file\to\decode.mp3
c:\path\to\foobar2000.exe /playing_command:"Convert/Run conversion"

I can't figure out how to do this in one line. Maybe you could ask in the foobar2000 forums for that.