Skip to main content

Topic: MPC for Apple/Macs? (Read 12363 times) previous topic - next topic

• ixtx
  • [*]
MPC for Apple/Macs?
Is there any way to play MPC files on Mac OS X? I am thinking of purchasing a PowerBook, but would like to be able to play MPC/OGG/FLAC files on the computer.

Thank you,

ixtx

• kuniklo
  • [*][*][*]
  • Developer (Donating)
MPC for Apple/Macs?
Reply #1
Is there any way to play MPC files on Mac OS X? I am thinking of purchasing a PowerBook, but would like to be able to play MPC/OGG/FLAC files on the computer.

Thank you,

ixtx
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've got a player in development that plays mpc + ogg.

You can get it from here: [a href="http://www.caddr.com/xist]http://www.caddr.com/xist[/url]

It works but it's still pretty alpha.

• abs1nth
  • [*]
MPC for Apple/Macs?
Reply #2
I've got a player in development that plays mpc + ogg.

You can get it from here: http://www.caddr.com/xist

It works but it's still pretty alpha.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=285505"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

there are also other ways to play .mpc on a mac (mppdec *.mpc | esdcat and X11+XMMS+plugin) but your solution is clearly the most comfortable to date!

as much as i appreciate your effort, i'm sorry to say when most people say they want to play .mpc files on a may, they really want to say they want to play them in iTunes/QuickTime.
(which means what's really needed is a MPC plugin for QuickTime, which fortunatly would also enable .mpc to be played with iTunes for Windows)

MPC for Apple/Macs?
Reply #3
there are also other ways to play .mpc on a mac (mppdec *.mpc | esdcat and X11+XMMS+plugin) but your solution is clearly the most comfortable to date!

as much as i appreciate your effort, i'm sorry to say when most people say they want to play .mpc files on a may, they really want to say they want to play them in iTunes/QuickTime.
(which means what's really needed is a MPC plugin for QuickTime, which fortunatly would also enable .mpc to be played with iTunes for Windows)
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Seems Apple developers don't put in too much effort or interest in supporting free/open formats...
You can't play Icecast2 Vorbis streams in iTunes either.... I've only found [a href="http://www.whamb.com/]one[/url] native Mac player that will do that...
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
       - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

• abs1nth
  • [*]
MPC for Apple/Macs?
Reply #4
Seems Apple developers don't put in too much effort or interest in supporting free/open formats...
You can't play Icecast2 Vorbis streams in iTunes either.... I've only found one native Mac player that will do that...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=289558"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i don't think the problem is that apple doesn't provide that support out-of-box, it's rather that the plugin situation is kinda weak right now. writing QuickTime plugins really sucks, and QuickTime doesn't (yet) take advantage of CoreAudio plugins...maybe that will be better with tiger/quicktime7

regarding icecast...if the QuickTime OGG plugin (http://qtcomponents.sourceforge.net/) doesnt support streaming right now it shouldnt be that hard to fix...

• Busemann
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
MPC for Apple/Macs?
Reply #5
QuickTime doesn't (yet) take advantage of CoreAudio plugins...maybe that will be better with tiger/quicktime7

QT 7 is hooked right up to CoreAudio, so let's hope someone makes ogg and mpc plugins before too long. iTunes will hopefully take advantage of CoreAudio soon as well.
  • Last Edit: 25 April, 2005, 06:57:16 PM by Busemann

• San10
  • [*]
MPC for Apple/Macs?
Reply #6
QuickTime doesn't (yet) take advantage of CoreAudio plugins...maybe that will be better with tiger/quicktime7

QT 7 is hooked right up to CoreAudio, so let's hope someone makes ogg and mpc plugins before too long. iTunes will hopefully take advantage of CoreAudio soon as well.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=293363"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah, well after updating from quicktime 6.5 to 7 on my iMacG4 OS 10.3.9, playing an ogg file caused i Tunes and Quicktimeplayer to quit and prompt for sending an errorreport:

Host Name:    ************
Date/Time:      2005-05-01 22:43:13 +0200
OS Version:    10.3.9 (Build 7W98)
Report Version: 2

Command: iTunes
Path:    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes
Version: 4.7.1 (4.7.1)
PID:    474
Thread:  0

Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes:      KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000013

Thread 0 Crashed:
0  OggVorbis.component               0x052353d8 ogg_page_pageno + 0x4
1  OggVorbis.component               0x05233778 PrimeSource + 0x70
2  OggVorbis.component               0x052332e8 OggVDecompGetSourceData + 0x34
3  ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore    0x902b20b4 CallComponentFunctionCommon + 0x414
4  OggVorbis.component               0x05232e68 OggVDecompComponentDispatch + 0x4c
..............etc. etc.........

Quicktime:

Host Name:      ********
Date/Time:      2005-05-01 22:32:26 +0200
OS Version:    10.3.9 (Build 7W98)
Report Version: 2

Command: QuickTime Player
Path:    /Applications/QuickTime Player.app/Contents/MacOS/QuickTime Player
Version: 7.0 (7.0)
PID:    388
Thread:  0

Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes:      KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000013

Thread 0 Crashed:
0  OggVorbis.component               0x04d0d3d8 ogg_page_pageno + 0x4
1  OggVorbis.component               0x04d0b778 PrimeSource + 0x70
2  OggVorbis.component               0x04d0b2e8 OggVDecompGetSourceData + 0x34
3  ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore    0x902b20b4 CallComponentFunctionCommon + 0x414
4  OggVorbis.component               0x04d0ae68 OggVDecompComponentDispatch + 0x4c

etc..etc..

I replaced the component in the plugin folder, but i also placed it now in the //system/library/quicktime , but had no succes either  ..mmmm, someone any ideas?

;-) Sanne