Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Where is the booktype setting for NEC ND-3520a? (Read 4560 times) previous topic - next topic

Where is the booktype setting for NEC ND-3520a?

I just got a DVD multi layer burner, NEC ND-3520a, and I need to change the booktype settings so I can burn DVD's in the format that will work on my DVD player. I can't find this setting though. This is an OEM drive, so it didn't come with software but the default Windows XP driver works fine for it. I went on the NEC web site and there isn't any firmware updates or drivers to download for it, so I guess it's meant to be used with the Windows XP default driver. Is that where the Booktype setting should be or should it be somewhere else?

Thanks,
-Darin

edit: Bookshelf -> Booktype
Cowon Iaudio X5 30 gig. It rocks!

Reply #1
If you use Nero to burn DVDs, you can change the booktype to DVD-ROM in the "Choose recorder" dialogue (with 'show advanced options').

However, your drive normally comes with the booktype already set to DVD-ROM, so there's nothing left for you to change. If your DVDs don't play in your DVD player, try burning at 8x speed, and try different brands of DVD media (also DVD+R and DVD-R media).

P.S. Why do you edit your post back to bookshelf... believe me, it's called booktype. 

Reply #3
IIRC, with NEC burners you need a "hacked" firmware to allow bitsetting.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #4
If you use Nero to burn DVDs, you can change the booktype to DVD-ROM in the "Choose recorder" dialogue (with 'show advanced options').

However, your drive normally comes with the booktype already set to DVD-ROM, so there's nothing left for you to change. If your DVDs don't play in your DVD player, try burning at 8x speed, and try different brands of DVD media (also DVD+R and DVD-R media).

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=284343"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think this is the program I will use because I don't want to use the modified firmware. How would you personally rate the burned movie qaulity useing a 1:1 clone with Nero Express?

Thanks,
-Darin

Reply #5
No, I meant with the Nero Burning Rom 6(not recode). I just used it for doing an exact 1:1 clone on a DVD+R dl for a TV show that is a season series on DVD that has different episodes and it was great. But there is one problem, there is no menu visually. Meaning....the menu is there, but it isn't showing up visually(it's just a blank screen). I can hear the background music in the menu(that's how I new the menu was actually there and I just hit enter which on the first choice is play all episodes).  What did I do wrong in the settings of Nero Burning Rom 6?  There's an option in there that I didn't enable called, "Write extended lead-out on double layer discs"....could this be the reason? It's to expesnive to experiment with DVD+R DL.

Thanks,
-Darin

Reply #6
No, I meant with the Nero Burning Rom 6(not recode). I just used it for doing an exact 1:1 clone on a DVD+R dl for a TV show that is a season series on DVD that has different episodes and it was great. But there is one problem, there is no menu visually. Meaning....the menu is there, but it isn't showing up visually(it's just a blank screen). I can hear the background music in the menu(that's how I new the menu was actually there and I just hit enter which on the first choice is play all episodes).   What did I do wrong in the settings of Nero Burning Rom 6?  There's an option in there that I didn't enable called, "Write extended lead-out on double layer discs"....could this be the reason? It's to expesnive to experiment with DVD+R DL.

Thanks,
-Darin
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Normally you could do it like this, if you have DVD+R DL discs and don't need to compress the movie: Get [a href="http://www.dvddecrypter.com/]DVD Decrypter[/url], open it, set "ISO Read" under the "Mode" option. Then it rips the whole DVD into a .ISO file that you can either load and burn in Nero Burning ROM (directly load the ISO file from the "open" dialogue in Nero), or you can burn it with DVD Decrypter (ISO Write mode).