Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Which -q for archiving (Read 12531 times) previous topic - next topic

Which -q for archiving

Reply #25
If preecho is a problem, use OggEnc GT2 in the 350kbps mode.

Were can i find that OggEnc Gta2?
Thanks in advance
Made in Portugal

Which -q for archiving

Reply #26
http://sjeng.sourceforge.net/ftp/vorbis/

Look for "oggencgt2.exe"

It doesn't seem to work with the -q scale so you might wanna just download the oggdrop version "oggdropgt2.exe"

Which -q for archiving

Reply #27
But this has better soundquality than vorbis 1.0?
Made in Portugal

Which -q for archiving

Reply #28
Personally, I feel that -q4 is acceptable for most cases. My 40g HD doesn't get along with 1000's of MP3's at 192kbps and higher  . For the most part, I am strained to find artifacts in music that I have encoded with Vorbis RC3 and 1.0 at -q4, even with my AWIA HP-X222 headphones (great headphones for a great price). If you want to have totally transparent backups, I suggest that you use -q6 or LAME v3.92 with --alt-preset standard. Just my two cents ...

Which -q for archiving

Reply #29
Ya, I agree totally.  I use q4 w/ my hard drive.  I'm convinced that we'll see some vorbis players in the next 6 months so I've been playing around w/ the different -qX for my ears and I'm an averageschmoe when it comes to audio compression but I can hear those artifacts in the hi-hats n' warbly-bass issues in poorly encoded files and guess what, -q4 works fine for me.  I suppose that there are plenty of people who can hear the difference but those people are also trying to hear artifacts which I am not.  my us$0.02.

-Jeff

Which -q for archiving

Reply #30

Only in the 350kbps mode.

Which -q for archiving

Reply #31
-q 6 seems pretty good with Vorbis 1.0, plus when using -q 6 you can fit over 7-8 hours of  audio on one 700MB CD-R.

Which -q for archiving

Reply #32

Only in the 350kbps mode.

Are you sure ? On problem sample, maybe.

I recently compare oggenc-gt2 to oggenc 1.0 on common material (classical : violon, voice,... and metal), and I was really shocked by the amount of noise that the « final » version add at 130 kb/s (-q4.4 for oggenc 1.0). It's more easy to ABX the final version than your previous version.

The final version is very aggressive for me. Irregular noise. Strong noise. Didn't know why...
Hope that you can fix this problem in GT3.
Wavpack Hybrid: one encoder for all scenarios
WavPack -c4.5hx6 (44100Hz & 48000Hz) ≈ 390 kbps + correction file
WavPack -c4hx6 (96000Hz) ≈ 768 kbps + correction file
WavPack -h (SACD & DSD) ≈ 2400 kbps at 2.8224 MHz

Which -q for archiving

Reply #33
I tried both and to me it sound's better Gta2 than Ogg v1.0 @ 350 Kbps mode maybe it's my ears
Made in Portugal

Which -q for archiving

Reply #34
For archiving i use -q8 

Which -q for archiving

Reply #35
Personally I've been useing -q6 since RC3 for the reasons (correct me if I'm wrong):

A. Since 1.0, first quality setting to use lossless stereo coupling (RC3 was -q5 I believe)

B. No lowpassing

C. Acceptable average bitrate of 192, though mostly it hangs around 180-188. (Clapton Unplugged = 200, Portishead = 170...go figure)

These are enough reasons for me to use -q6 as, well, "transparent storage". "Archiving" would probably be best with a lossless codec. 

Which -q for archiving

Reply #36
Just wondering is q 6 the quality where the stereo coupling is 'lossless' and using a higher quality only causes a higher bitrate? These q 4.99, q 6 issues have always been a little odd for me, so if you could guide me.

Thanks.

Which -q for archiving

Reply #37
Just wondering is q 6 the quality where the stereo coupling is 'lossless' and using a higher quality only causes a higher bitrate? These q 4.99, q 6 issues have always been a little odd for me, so if you could guide me.

Thanks.

Yes, in release v1.0 -q6 has lossless stereo coupling while -q5.99 uses lossy. This is different from RC3 where -q5 was threshold between lossless and lossy.

Which -q for archiving

Reply #38
Since GT3 has appeared, I use it, and it becomes more realistic to use -q6 for archiving, but... I still use -q8. 
Because i found for myslef - if there are some samples that -q6 cannot stand - sometime i will be able to hear artefacts in music. Maybe it will be your favourite song - it's a pity to hear something ugly. The samples I used - I couldn't ABX them, using -q8 GT3. Otherwise, it take lots of space - nothing is free.
And I have very few records in FLAC - not kind of rare but that cannot be found fast enough if sh*t happens.