Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why the different size? (Read 3621 times) previous topic - next topic

Why the different size?

I have ripped the album Damnation by Opeth using dbpoweramp (normally I use EAC, but I was on another computer) and with the quality 7. The total size of the album came to be about 56MB. When I was looking on allofmp3.com I used their Online Encoding Exclusive service to encode the same album at the same quality level and it said it would be about 66MB.

What possible variables could result in such a large file size difference?

Why the different size?

Reply #1
Different encoder versions?

Why the different size?

Reply #2
Yeah and possibly allofmp3 is full of music from shit sources. You'll get what you pay for.

Why the different size?

Reply #3
That too 

Why the different size?

Reply #4
I think allofmp3 calculates the expected download size from experienced avreage bitrates - on quality-based vbr this can get totally off-target, depending on the complexity of the music. You will not actually know how many MBs you will get until they are downloaded.

Check out the different lossless formats - they are all calculated as 900 kbps, even though 'everyone' knows there will be differences due to music complexity and encoders.