Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Problems with ripping a CD (Read 2717 times) previous topic - next topic

Problems with ripping a CD

One of my CD's is copy protected and I want to rip it onto my computer as MP3's, using EAC and LAME. I've ripped the nine first songs but the last one won't get ripped. Sometimes when I insert the CD just a few of the songs will get ripped and then, if I eject and then insert the disc again, the same will happen or the nine first songs will get ripped. But it has also happened that none of them will get ripped.

So how do I rip the last song and why is it random which songs that want get ripped?

Reply #1
You could try ripping on other PCs. Copy protection is where the drive used starts to matter.

Reply #2
Even if you succeeded in ripping the last track I bet you'd find there is an annoying "click" at the end.

I strike this problem quite often and apply a little trick in Audiograbber, which is my ripper of choice.  The problem seems to be that the last few frames of the audio track are corrupted (I suspect the corrupted data is actually part of the copy protection).

The trick is to edit the last frame in the last track (eg. peg back the number of the last frame by about 5-10 frames) so the ripper doesn't reach the copy protection data before it's finished ripping the track.  In Audiograbber, you can edit the length of the track, frame by frame, by double-clicking on the track.  If there's still a "click" at the nd of the ripped track, you can use the "fade out" function to eliminate it.

Reply #3
According to my exp, easy cd-da extractor is a good program for Copy-Protected discs. On my old laptop, Acer Aspire 1300X, none of Copy-Protected discs can be ripped except using easy cd-da extractor. I've tried Exact Audio Copy 0.95 (prebeta 3 and prebeta 5), CDex 1.51, iTune 4.7.1.30, RealPlayer 10.5 build 6.0.12.1056, Musicmatch JUKEBOX 10.00.2047b and Windows Media Player 10. Those programs produced songs with noise and clips and Exact Audio Copy stucked at error recovery loop at 1%.

Anyway, is there somebody know what are the differences between read modes of Easy CD-DA Extractor; Normal, Audio Resync, Advanced Audio Resync, Error Recovery and Error Recovery & Repair. Its help file doesn't explain much in detail. I want to get the best out of it. Which mode should I use?

-----------------
Acer Aspire 1300X's CD Drive: QSI CD-ROM SCR-242 CHA7