Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: TV makes a high pitched noise (Read 4577 times) previous topic - next topic

TV makes a high pitched noise

Everyonce in awhile my TV will make a loud high pitch noise that is really annoying. It doesn't come from the speakers, it comes from the picture tube I think. Anyone know how to correct this without haveing to buy a new TV?
Cowon Iaudio X5 30 gig. It rocks!

Reply #1
The ringing is probably from the flyback transformer.  Older TV's start to exhibit this ringing, and newer ones with a cheap transformer.  Most people just live with the ringing.  Only way to get a definitive diagnosis (if you can't do it yourself) would be to take it to a service shop.  Like I said, most people live with it.

Reply #2
1. Get rid of the TV completely.
2. Listen to some good metal. Loudly. For several years. And don't eat a good diet. That should work, but I can still hear that stuff, and I don't ever remember NOT listening to music loudly. Oh well.
3. Turn the volume up high enough to mask it.

Unfortunately, that's about it. Always bothered me, as well. I don't think I'll be able to buy a TV from anywhere that doesn't have an easy return policy for that very reason .

Reply #3
The 17-inch monitor that came with my P1-200mHz used to do this.  I found that hitting the top of the monitor very hard would almost always cause the ringing to stop.  However it would always start again sometimes in a matter of seconds, others a matter of minutes.
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame

Reply #4
Call an exorcist

Reply #5
Mine does this when there is a lot of red in the picture currently being displayed.
Got the number for that exorcist ?

Reply #6
lol.... man, looks like I'll have to dish out the cash for a new TV then. To make it worse all the new TV are in that plastic silver which to me looks cheap. Rather have black...

-darin
Cowon Iaudio X5 30 gig. It rocks!

Reply #7
Every TV I've stood next to while the volume was on mute has done that to me.  Good luck with your search.

Reply #8
Every TV I've stood next to while the volume was on mute has done that to me.  Good luck with your search.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=279063"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Here in Europe there are 100 Hz TVs being sold (PAL works with 50 Hz, so for 60 Hz NTSC it could be 120 Hz TVs?), advertized as flicker-free. The usual 15.625 KHz tone for PAL is then over 30 KHz which is inaudible for the human ear. And it really works, i can't hear any tone on my grandma's TV.

Reply #9
ALso note that any flat panel or LCD projector won't even have a flyback transformer.