Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC or WavePack Player (Read 6104 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC or WavePack Player

I use Media Player because of it's interface, and it's artist/cd structure. For this, I have to use WMA lossless. Is there another media player that supports FLAC and/or WavPack that can give me an interface like this?

I'm not into writing code or long configuration scripts. I have installed directshow filters, but they do not seem to suport the FLAC or WavPack tags.

Edit: I'm very fond of Foobar2000, but the interface/database is not quite what I am looking for.
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

FLAC or WavePack Player

Reply #1
Take a look on Jriver Media Center. It's not free, and wavpack isn't supported (it wasn't the case last month though).
Try also MediaMonkey. I think it supports winamp plug-in.
Wavpack Hybrid: one encoder for all scenarios
WavPack -c4.5hx6 (44100Hz & 48000Hz) ≈ 390 kbps + correction file
WavPack -c4hx6 (96000Hz) ≈ 768 kbps + correction file
WavPack -h (SACD & DSD) ≈ 2400 kbps at 2.8224 MHz

FLAC or WavePack Player

Reply #2
indybrett, can't answer, but, out of my curiosity...  the screenshot you posted is that of a "A file per album" or "A file per track" WMA lossless rip?

Cheers

Sergio

Edit: orthography, at least some of it...  :-)
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

FLAC or WavePack Player

Reply #3
there is a FLAC decoding plugin for jriver media center here.

are you using illiminable's directshow FLAC filters?  I thought they support FLAC tags for both native FLAC and Ogg FLAC.

Josh

FLAC or WavePack Player

Reply #4
If your music collection is already organized neatly into an Artist\Album directory structure, you might want to try mpesch3's 1by1 player. However if you are relying on the app to organize things for you, then this would not do well for you.

http://mpesch3.de1.cc/#1by1

larger screenshot

1by1 supports winamp compatible input plugins.
I use it to play mp3, ogg, wma, m4a, FLAC, APE, SHN, etc, etc...
(It does not come with all of these plugins, but they are easy to find and add.)

Regards, and Good Luck!

FLAC or WavePack Player

Reply #5
@smz

If I understand the question correctly, the answer is a "file per track".  Every song is an individual file that is tagged.

@guruboolez

I have looked at Jriver. Do you know if it supports FLAC (or any lossless format)? I did not see FLAC listed on the website.

@jcoalson

All of the DirectShow filters I have tried allow me to play FLAC files in Media Player. But none have allowed me to use any tags that Media Player can display.

@cosmo

Yes, it is already neatly organized. I only need the app to display what I already have setup. I will have a look at that. Thanks.

FLAC or WavePack Player

Reply #6
How about VuPlayer, it natively plays back both WavPack and FLAC files (plus other formats)? Small, free, easy to use basic audio player.

http://www.vuplayer.com

FLAC or WavePack Player

Reply #7
jcoalson gave the answer  Monkey's Audio is another lossless format supported by MC (the format's developer is working for Jriver company).

FLAC or WavePack Player

Reply #8
I'm trying out JRiver. Seems to have a very similar interface to Media Player, and works with APE files. For me, lossless is lossless. It doesn't really matter if it's FLAC, WavPack, or Monkey's.

The one exception is WMA. It works fine, but it just gives me a creepy feeling having everything in that format. It could also lead to confusion using a format that could be either lossless or lossy. I might accidentally convert a bunch of music to WMA lossy by mistake. That's impossible with the other formats.

FLAC or WavePack Player

Reply #9
Did you tried mediamonkey? It's not as complete (and maybe bloated) as Jriver Media Center, but has good features (APEv2 tags reading, replaygain...). I can't remember if it uses winamp components (which would allow you wavpack and flac support), but Monkey's Audio is clearly supported.

http://mediamonkey.com/

Last and not least, a free version is available

FLAC or WavePack Player

Reply #10
Edit: I'm very fond of Foobar2000, but the interface/database is not quite what I am looking for.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=269264"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't wanna sound like an fb2k-zealot, but since format-support and tagging-capabilities seem important to you, you can get fb2k to look and work exactly like in the screenshot you posted by using UI-columns plus an albumlist-like panel plugin. There's just one problem... does mediaplayer auto-update its database? With this i mean, does it automatically scan for new and removed files? If yes, then thats a very important feature which fb2k sadly doesn't support yet.

- Lyx

edit: if mediaplayer does NOT support DB-autoupdate, then you can get fb2k to look and work in almost every way you could wish.... the problem is time.... depending on what you want, you would need to invest some time to customize it to your demands..... thats a one-shot task, but it involves much time and learning and therefore may be a big contra for fb2k.
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

FLAC or WavePack Player

Reply #11
I did a small search on mediamonkey's board. The player has apparently its own component system.
Flac is supported on latest beta:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic...&highlight=flac

Wavpack is less popular, and nobody apparently asked for support.

FLAC or WavePack Player

Reply #12
Having some trouble with Monkey's tags in MediaMonkey. From looking at the APE plugin settings, it would appear it's looking for ID3 tags. I'm going to try some different input plugins.

@Lyx, WMPlayer will "monitor" directories and update if new files are added. I rarely use that feature though.

FLAC or WavePack Player

Reply #13
J. River has some powerfulfeatures. I recommend it.

I recently tried to get the FLAC plugin working, Josh, and no luck yet. I'll play with it some more. It's all set up but MC won't import any FLAC's or play them  from Windows explorer.

How's the Neuros firmware coming along btw? Thank you.

Jon

FLAC or WavePack Player

Reply #14
I just got the FLAC plugin to work with JRiver MC. Now it supports Monkey's and FLAC. Now I'm getting somewhere

Here is a screenshot.

FLAC or WavePack Player

Reply #15
How did you get theFLAC plugin working? Simply won't work for me even after MC registers the plugin. What version are you using?

MC 10...here's mine - Screenshot

FLAC or WavePack Player

Reply #16
First, I tried the plugin installer. That registered it, but it still didn't work. Then I downloaded the .zip file and extracted the plugin from that and manually put that in the plugin directory. That did the trick.

If I could get Wavpack to work, that would be the best. I think I'll go with Monkey's due to the superior compression.

FLAC or WavePack Player

Reply #17
hmmmm....I'll check it ou. I forget which method I tried. thanks. Yes, Mokey's is supreme. If only we could get a couple firmwares for Neuros or Karma dap's!

FLAC or WavePack Player

Reply #18
Works now. So when FLAC support comes to the Neuros player, what the heck am I gonna do! Leave MAC behind and store my .apes as in FLAC from now on? Converting from high .apes to high FLAC is conducted at 2x realtime encoding in DBpoweramp. I'd obviously rather have my music in a format that's ready to be copied and played to my DAP.

DC

FLAC or WavePack Player

Reply #19
@guruboolez

Thanks for informing me of the JRiver application. It does everything WM Player does, and it supports APE, and also has some nice cover art features. Also has ReplayGain, although it does not support album mode (yet). Seems to have a lot of nice database and organization features as well. It's not perfect, but what is? Looks like I have a new toy to play with