Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar loops the same 2 secs over and over (Read 3819 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar loops the same 2 secs over and over

Sometimes, when letting Foobar run unattended for long periods of time (>6h), it unexplainably gets stuck on looping the same 2 secs of a track (the problem occurs with different tracks) over and over. I have no clue as to what causes this problem so any help would be appreciated.

Reply #1
Probably an issue with your soundcard drivers.

What card and wich drivers are you using?

Reply #2
I'm using a Creative SoundBlaster Audigy2 card. The drivers are the version 5.12.1.328 ones, I believe. Probably not the latest ones, so I'll try updating them right away. It just didn't occur to me that it could've been a driver issue because the problem never manifested itself when I use(d) Winamp.

Reply #3
Nope... the problem still persists. This saddens me greatly. Any tip at all would be appreciated.

Reply #4
Have you already tried changing the output method in the "output preferences"?

Reply #5
I have been having the exact same problem for quite a while (but these forums were mysteriously down for a *really* long time... or maybe I was dreaming it).

I also have a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2, driver version 5.12.1.324 I believe they're the latest... (Actually I just noticed now from checking the Creative site that there has been a driver update for DRM and EAX4, I'll see if it changes anything)

I've been using DirectSound v2.0 output, Hardware Streaming enabled. I'll experiment changing that, too.

There are a few obversations though:
1) When fb2k gets stuck in the loop, the only way to end it is to shut down the program.
2) If you double click on another song while the 2 seconds looping, the new song plays, but the looping still doesn't stop. (Pressing stop will only stop the new track).
3) This seems to only happen with MP3 files. (It might have happened on ogg, but I'm not sure). However it never occurred with a playlist that consisted only of DTS files. (I haven't tried with other formats, more experimentation is needed).

Hope that helps!

Reply #6
Upgraded drivers to 5.12.1.444... and it still enters the endless loop after a few hours.

Reply #7
Just out of curiosity, are either of you getting failure.txt files in your foobar2000 directory?  It's probably unrelated, but the only times I've seen this behavior, it's been because I locked up the main thread in the Visual Studio debugger and the playback thread just kind of sat there and looped.

Reply #8
I had the same problem yesterday when I accidentally cut through the power cable on my external firewire hard drive which holds my tunes - it couldn't read the next bit into the buffer so continually repeated the last bit. Maybe your problem is down to not being able to see the drive, has it entered power save mode?

Have you tried increasing the buffer size in foobar to bigger than the largest file you have?

And, yes, I was extremely lucky not to kill myself yesterday...

Reply #9
Ah, I see I was not the only one experiencing this. Anyway, to answer the questions... I haven't encountered the problem since I set the output method to DirectSound [v1.0?] instead of DirectSound v2.0. Can't be sure it's really gone though, since it's kinda elusive and I haven't played tracks for such extended periods of time lately. I don't have the power save setting for harddrives turned on. Hmm, what's the difference between DirectSound and DirectSound v2.0 anyway? Hope it has nothing to do with the audio quality.

Haven't tried changing the buffering from the default 0kb, but it's surely something worth trying if the problem reappears.

Reply #10
Um, 0kb?

Reply #11
Ah, I assumed you meant the Full File Buffering option under the Playback-category in the preferences. But I see there's another buffer-setting under the DirectSound categories. It's set to the default 1000ms.

Reply #12
It still happens when using DirectSound v1