Skip to main content
Topic: foobar2000 and "Part of a Compilation" (Read 11245 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 and "Part of a Compilation"

Is there any way to designate files as "Part of a Compilation" with foobar2000 so iTunes will consider them "Part of a Compilation".  I tried marking some files in iTunes and then reading the id3 tags in foobar2000 but nothing changed. 

Any ideas?

Reply #1
"Part of compliation" tag cannot be written/read from foobar2000 as well as "Artwork".

Reply #2
I don't think that the compilation flag iTunes uses is written to the tag of the file itself anyway. Same with the Grouping field.

Reply #3
I don't think that the compilation flag iTunes uses is written to the tag of the file itself anyway. Same with the Grouping field.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=266491"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

They are definitely written to the file, since the tags follow when copying the file between different pc's.

Reply #4
iTunes uses TCMP frame for mp3(ID3v2) and CPIL atom for m4a(MP4 tag) as compilation flag.

Reply #5
iTunes uses TCMP frame for mp3(ID3v2) and CPIL atom for m4a(MP4 tag) as compilation flag.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=266521"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

TCMP is not a valid ID3 tag frame type, is it? I can't find it in the specs anywhere.

And anyway, I went and looked through my MP3's in my Compilations folder, and none of them have a TCMP tag in them. But they are definitely marked as Compilations in iTunes.

Busemann: The tags do go between PC's, yes, but Compilation is not one of the tags as far as I can tell. The Compilation flag that I set in iTunes gets unset if I remove the song from iTunes and add it back. When I change that flag, the file does not appear to change at all. I don't think Compilation is a tag for MP3's, at least. I have not checked M4A files.

Reply #6
Busemann: The tags do go between PC's, yes, but Compilation is not one of the tags as far as I can tell. The Compilation flag that I set in iTunes gets unset if I remove the song from iTunes and add it back. When I change that flag, the file does not appear to change at all. I don't think Compilation is a tag for MP3's, at least. I have not checked M4A files.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=266565"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If the ID3 version is old, it might just change it in its database. Try converting the ID3 tags to 2.3 or newer and do it again.

Reply #7
TCMP is not a valid ID3 tag frame type, is it? I can't find it in the specs anywhere.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=266565"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes. TCMP frame is custom tag of iTunes. It is not defined in ID3v2 spec.

Reply #8
If the ID3 version is old, it might just change it in its database. Try converting the ID3 tags to 2.3 or newer and do it again.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=266567"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hmm. All my MP3's should have both ID3v1 and ID3v2.3 tags. I'll try various things to see if I can get that tag to be created, when I get home today. Maybe some other tagging program I use removes the tag because it recognizes it as invalid. If that's what's happening, it doesn't seem to impact iTunes, because it continues to recognize these songs as compilations.

Reply #9
I use iTunes to rip my CDs but use foobar for playback. I don't know the technical aspects of tags but I know from practical experience that the compilation bit is written to the tag in both the m4a and mp3 formats. I know foobar reads them because my custom sort string includes $if(%compilation%,...) which works. If I want something marked as a compilation I have to use iTunes to tag it though. foobar will read the field but won't tag it in the same way as iTunes. Also, I think you need the id3v2 plugin for foobar if you're using mp3s.

Reply #10
Well, from what I've figured out it can't be done, but I did do a little checking to see what iTunes does to .mp3 files in general.  First I created a mp3 file from a flac file with foobar2k and ran it through md5sum and got this:

Code: [Select]
f0a849d788ac5b59853fc7af9fc32235 *01 Bill Haley And The Comets - (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock.mp3

I then added the file to the iTunes library and immediately shutdown iTunes and reran the md5sum just to make sure iTunes didn't screw with the file immediately:

f0a849d788ac5b59853fc7af9fc32235 *01 Bill Haley And The Comets - (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock.mp3

After that, I marked the file as part of a compilation in iTunes resulting in:

d07224e5d020aad5105dccad73153901 *01 Bill Haley And The Comets - (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock.mp3

So, by adding that compilation tag in iTunes the file is definitely altered in some way.  Checking the files with a diff program I found a new entry of "TCMP      1" added to the file near (if not in) the id3 tag.  This wouldn't be terribly difficult to duplicate outside iTunes, but may require a special piece of code to do it since the TCMP thing apparently isn't part of the id3 spec.  Might be something worth requesting for a future version of foobar or the masstagger plugin.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020