Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: recommendations for 2.0 computer speakers? (Read 5835 times) previous topic - next topic

recommendations for 2.0 computer speakers?

[Okay, so I know this isn't a speaker forum. But it's populated by people who are careful and critical in their music-listening, and aren't just looking for bass kick to "enhance their gaming experience." Plus it's the only audio-related forum that I've had involvement with.]

I'm looking to replace my old computer speakers (Cyber Acoustics 3060, which is fine but hasn't at all impressed me) and am getting the sense that most 2.1 speaker systems (a subwoofer and two small satellite speakers; the CA-3060 is of this type) aren't optimized for clear and true reproduction of music, but for impressive bass and such things. I've also gotten some sense that 2.0 computer speakers (just two relatively small speakers, no dedicated subwoofer) can do a pretty good job of music reproduction, if you're not looking to shake the floors; see
http://www.epinions.com/content_46005390980

So I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on
1) whether 2.0 computer speakers tend to give truer sound reproduction than 2.1 setups with a subwoofer
2) what people use and recommend here.

I'm not looking to spend much or get an audiophile system or anything, just something with relatively balanced sound and limited distortion. Thanks...
God kills a kitten every time you encode with CBR 320

Reply #1
[Okay, so I know this isn't a speaker forum. But it's populated by people who are careful and critical in their music-listening, and aren't just looking for bass kick to "enhance their gaming experience." Plus it's the only audio-related forum that I've had involvement with.]

I'm looking to replace my old computer speakers (Cyber Acoustics 3060, which is fine but hasn't at all impressed me) and am getting the sense that most 2.1 speaker systems (a subwoofer and two small satellite speakers; the CA-3060 is of this type) aren't optimized for clear and true reproduction of music, but for impressive bass and such things. I've also gotten some sense that 2.0 computer speakers (just two relatively small speakers, no dedicated subwoofer) can do a pretty good job of music reproduction, if you're not looking to shake the floors; see
http://www.epinions.com/content_46005390980

So I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on
1) whether 2.0 computer speakers tend to give truer sound reproduction than 2.1 setups with a subwoofer
2) what people use and recommend here.

I'm not looking to spend much or get an audiophile system or anything, just something with relatively balanced sound and limited distortion. Thanks...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=237221"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=237224"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not sure if this may help you out, but I would ask you if you already own a separate sound system (amp or tuner plus speakers)?  If it is quality of sound you are looking for even a small pair of decent bookshelf speakers will beat the pants off of any set up designed just for a pc.  If distance is not a problem you can connect directly from your sound card output into the input of your sound system with the appropriate connector cable.  Otherwise if your pc is too distant, you can purchase a 2.4ghz audio (video) sender which will allow you to send the signal anywhere you need to in your home. 

The biggest question I would have you consider is what type of space you will be listening in?  Is it a large family room, or a smaller bedroom?  It would be quite difficult to realize much realism if you are trying to fill a large room with small pc speakers - even with a sub.  However, if you will be listening strickly within the range of your pc, a designed for pc only set up should sound fine.  A good 2 or 3-way speaker will more faithfull reproduce the full spectrum of music compared to mini-speakers with a sub-woofer, as the mid range isn't effectively delivered.  As a mobile DJ,  I made that mistake a few years ago.  Great highs, awsome bass - with this big hole in the middle!

Reply #2
What is your budget?

Are you willing to consider headphones?

Reply #3
Actually, come to think of it, I do have an tuner that a friend gave me when he got married and had to get rid of lots of stuff. I'd not even thought of using that with dedicated bookshelf speakers, but that probably is a much better solution.

The space is a rather large bedroom. I'd prefer to fill the room rather than just have the sound optimized for the computer.

My speakers also emphasize booming bass and apparent high treble (though without all that much actual resolution on cymbals, for example) at the expense of midrange. I actually have a second pair of speakers running alongside the 2.1 setup in order to fill in the midrange - a pair of really old speakers that came attached to the monitor of a PC from 1995. It sort of works.

I'll pursue connecting my soundcard to the tuner. I appreciate the suggestion. What's your sense of price for a pair of basic bookshelf speakers, and at what sort of places should I look for them?

Edit: honestly, I'm looking to spend $40 or less.
I prefer speakers over headphones for listening in the room.

Reply #4
Actually, come to think of it, I do have an tuner that a friend gave me when he got married and had to get rid of lots of stuff. I'd not even thought of using that with dedicated bookshelf speakers, but that probably is a much better solution.

The space is a rather large bedroom. I'd prefer to fill the room rather than just have the sound optimized for the computer.

My speakers also emphasize booming bass and apparent high treble (though without all that much actual resolution on cymbals, for example) at the expense of midrange. I actually have a second pair of speakers running alongside the 2.1 setup in order to fill in the midrange - a pair of really old speakers that came attached to the monitor of a PC from 1995. It sort of works.

I'll pursue connecting my soundcard to the tuner. I appreciate the suggestion. What's your sense of price for a pair of basic bookshelf speakers, and at what sort of places should I look for them?

Edit: honestly, I'm looking to spend $40 or less.
I prefer speakers over headphones for listening in the room.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=237228"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'd suggest you head over to the "hot deals" forum at AnandTech and search for 'speakers' - Logitech makes some nice sounding, affordable sets which are in your price range, though that's usually after a rebate (such as "Logitech Z2200 2.1 Computer Speaker System", $63 at Amazon right now).

'Computer' speakers have come a long way in the past 10 years..  Some of the nicer features, besides cost, are that they take up a lot less room than a tuner+speakers setup, can be wall mounted out-of-the-box, and nowadays they often come with their own remotes..

Reply #5
Interesting. Thanks for the link.

You're right about computer speakers being easier to set up, etc, than a typical tuner/amp-based system. This was a big reason for my interest. On the Logitech Z2200, they look pretty impressive, except that they exaggerate the bass and still leave a hole in the midrange. Not what I need given that I have people above and below my room. More ideal if I were in an apt with concrete construction, maybe.
Hence my interest in 2.0 speakers without a subwoofer, if they could in fact accurately reproduce the music they're playing.

So, how much better are basic bookshelf units compared to good computer speakers? (Yes, I realize that question is imprecise...)

Reply #6
Computer speakers are ok for movies and 'doof doof' music such as a nightclub enviroment. They really blow when it comes to accuracy.

It would be wise to consider good headphones first like grado sr60/80/MS1, or portables like koss portapro, sen px100. These can give you great sound at a fraction of the cost of speakers + keep neighbours happy.

Reply #8
Maybe look at some active studio monitors?  But you're not gonna get them for $40.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #9
quite frankly that review of those Koss speakers makes some pretty outragous claims. 5.5 watt computer speakers with a 3" diameter may be able to make his windows shake without becoming horribly distorted, but if that's the case the reviewers home probably needs some pretty serious maintainance. Either that or it contains an incredibly efficient and complex horn folding system for a tiny fraction of the normal price.

I'd strongly recommend even some ultra-low-end seperate bookshelf Speakers, but then you'd be shopping in the $80+ range unless you get really lucky with end-of-line remaindered stock.

If $20-40 is the hard-limit of your budget and you can't test out any pc speakers first-hand I say go for it. After all it's not like they're expensive, and in the end it only matters if they sound okay to you!

As long as you're not  composing or mixing music of course..

edit: v. stupid grammatical error.
Hip-hop looks like it's having more fun than you are - Chuck D

Reply #10
I ended up grabbing a used pair of bookshelf speakers from eBay for $25. My sense is that speakers are at less danger of degradation over time than most audio hardware. At least, this is an inexpensive step in the right direction for my listening...

Reply #11
Consider the Aego2.

http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/aego2/intro/framset.html
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=237283"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am thinking of getting a decent 2.1 speakers system... was considering either the Aego2 or Logitech Z2300. Any thoughts on which one to choose?

Reply #12
Aego2 definately. Sorry, Logitechs are great for bassheads, for music listening, look elsewhere.

The Aego2 won Stereophile's Joint Budget Products of the Year 2001 runners-up position.

http://www.stereophile.com/features/464/index7.html

I got mine for around $199, and if you're in UK you can buy them for £79.00 (Original RRP = £299.95).

http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/products/bstock.htm