Skip to main content

Topic: Compiling Lame (Read 4947 times) previous topic - next topic

• IGOR][X
  • [*]
Compiling Lame
Hi all,where can i found the latest source code of Lame,and how can i compile it under Win XP?

Thank you for your answers 

• john33
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer
Compiling Lame
Reply #1
http://lame.sourceforge.net/download/download.html will give you the links to the latest and other versions of the source code.

If you have MSVC6, you'll find the project files already provided. You'll also find a number of Makefiles for other compilers but I don't know whether they are up to date and fully functional. If you want to compile with the assembler speed optimisations, you'll also need nasm (Netwide Assembler) available here: http://nasm.sourceforge.net/. Place the nasmw.exe in the libmp3lame directory and it will be found and used by MSVC project.
John
----------------------------------------------------------------
My compiles and utilities are at http://www.rarewares.org/

• Bogalvator
  • [*]
Compiling Lame
Reply #2
Has anyone built LAME with MinGW / Cygwin with nasm enabled successfully recently?

I have tried with 3.96.1 and latest CVS, but it fails while building the executable (get the following error):

gcc -Wall -pipe -g -O4 -march=athlon-xp -mfpmath=sse,387 -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -ffast-math -o lame.exe main.o get_audio.o lametime.o parse.o portableio.o timestatus.o brhist.o  ../libmp3lame/.libs/libmp3lame.a -lm -lwsock32
../libmp3lame/.libs/libmp3lame.a(util.o)(.text+0x2251): In function `has_MMX':
c:/lame/libmp3lame/util.c:614: undefined reference to `has_MMX_nasm'
../libmp3lame/.libs/libmp3lame.a(util.o)(.text+0x2261): In function `has_3DNow':
c:/lame/libmp3lame/util.c:624: undefined reference to `has_3DNow_nasm'
../libmp3lame/.libs/libmp3lame.a(util.o)(.text+0x2271): In function `has_SSE':
c:/lame/libmp3lame/util.c:634: undefined reference to `has_SSE_nasm'
../libmp3lame/.libs/libmp3lame.a(util.o)(.text+0x2281): In function `has_SSE2':
c:/lame/libmp3lame/util.c:644: undefined reference to `has_SSE2_nasm'
../libmp3lame/.libs/libmp3lame.a(takehiro.o)(.text+0x2401): In function `huffman_init':
c:/lame/libmp3lame/takehiro.c:1326: undefined reference to `choose_table_MMX'
../libmp3lame/.libs/libmp3lame.a(fft.o)(.text+0x5b4): In function `init_fft':
c:/lame/libmp3lame/fft.c:278: undefined reference to `fht_3DN'
make[2]: *** [lame.exe] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/c/lame/frontend'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/lame'
make: *** [all] Error 2

If you have had success, it would be great if you could post what software versions you used amd you had to make any modifications to the Makefiles etc.

• robert
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer
Compiling Lame
Reply #3
I don't know what Makefiles you used, but the error messages hint that you haven't linked the nasm generated object files to libmp3lame.a.

• Khaine
  • [*]
Compiling Lame
Reply #4
Well for starters your gcc optomisations are really bad

-O4 -march=athlon-xp -mfpmath=sse,387 -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -ffast-math

-O4 is just plain wrong, -O3 is the highest you can go

-mfpmath=sse,387 -ffast-math can break maths functions and currently (gcc 3.4.3) produce slower code

-funroll-loops  Unroll loops whose number of iterations can be determined at compile time or upon entry to the loop. -funroll-loops implies both -fstrength-reduce and -frerun-cse-after-loop. This option makes code larger, and may or may not make it run faster.

read http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.3/gcc/...ze-Options.html

Just so you know :-)

try -O2(or O3, but O2 is generally better) -mtune=athlon-xp (or march, but if I remember correctly mtune implies march and mcpu is depreciated) -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer

hope that helps with the optimisations

• Bogalvator
  • [*]
Compiling Lame
Reply #5
I was using ./configure under MSYS to generate the Makefile, this works without using nasm, but not with.

Anyways after some more playing around I managed to use the Makefile.unix successfully (so I was just being stupid really.  'copy' is not a recognised function under msys, so it was initially failing at the first hurdle.  Simply manually copying ConfigMS.h to config.h via Windows Explorer solved it - so easy!)

Khaine, thanks for the pointers re GCC optimisations.  A handy bonus for posting my error message was I was able to get feedback on the flags I used!  I probed the manual a little myself, and these are my findings.  -funroll-loops doesn't seem to be worth the effort, and -ffast-math seems to add unnecessary dangers (quote: "can result in incorrect output for programs which depend on an exact implementation of IEEE or ISO rules/specifications for math functions").  Also, I've seen various people saying not to go above -O3, so from now on I'll stick to that.

However, it the manual did say that -mfpmath=sse "should be considerably faster in majority of cases", and it suggested that -malign-double and -maccumulate-outgoing-args should increase speed too.

To this end, I compiled Lame with the following flags (note that -march implies -mcpu, and also I'm using GCC version 3.2.3):

-Wall -pipe -O3 -march=athlon-xp -mfpmath=sse -malign-double -maccumulate-outgoing-args -fomit-frame-pointer

I compared it for speed against John33's 3.97a6 build on Rarewares at -V 2 on a 1h15m file:

Mine:      9:56 encode time,  7.4454x play/CPU
John33:  8:47 encode time,  8.4161x play/CPU

But, it's no fun using someones elses compile is it 

EDIT:  I also tried with just -Wall -pipe -O3 -march=athlon-xp -fomit-frame-pointer as you suggested.  It came out as an encode time of 9:10, and 8.0616x play/CPU.  Consider it lesson learned about GCC flags!
  • Last Edit: 17 January, 2005, 12:58:48 PM by Bogalvator

• john33
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer
Compiling Lame
Reply #6
But, it's no fun using someones elses compile is it 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=265935"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Be very careful, that's where I started!!!!!!!!
John
----------------------------------------------------------------
My compiles and utilities are at http://www.rarewares.org/