Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FB2K, Kernel streaming, ASIO (Read 2971 times) previous topic - next topic

FB2K, Kernel streaming, ASIO

Hi all,

I've been using FB2K for a couple of years now, it beats all.

But now, on my 2nd PC in that time (both W2K) some things still irk.

Kernel-streaming;- playing any audio file (WAV, LAME, APE, whatever) requires clicking  play>pause>pause to start.

<NEXT> or <PREVIOUS> also require  clicking <pause> twice to resume play.

And now, on my new machine, ASIO isn't gapless -  slight glitch between tracks.

In case you're wondering, like many I want the simplest data-stream possible from  hard-drive to (M-Audio DIO) soundcard, bypassing as much hardware and software as possible.  My PC is my hifi.

Kernel-streaming would be ideal, if the transport buttons would work, but failing that ASIO would be nice.

Any suggestions welcome.

ciao,
R.

(edit for typos, as usual)

Reply #1
Hi all,

I've been using FB2K for a couple of years now, it beats all.

But now, on my 2nd PC in that time (both W2K) some things still irk.

Kernel-streaming;- playing any audio file (WAV, LAME, APE, whatever) requires clicking  play>pause>pause to start.

<NEXT> or <PREVIOUS> also require  clicking <pause> twice to resume play.

And now, on my new machine, ASIO isn't gapless -  slight glitch between tracks.

In case you're wondering, like many I want the simplest data-stream possible from  hard-drive to (M-Audio DIO) soundcard, bypassing as much hardware and software as possible.  My PC is my hifi.

Kernel-streaming would be ideal, if the transport buttons would work, but failing that ASIO would be nice.

Any suggestions welcome.

ciao,
R.

(edit for typos, as usual)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=263111"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As you may know, there may be some problems with kernel streaming - it do not work or work improperly.
You say that your PC is your Hi-Fi. In my case it is the same. And I use Direct Sound output. Just because I don't hear difference. Make some tests yourself and check if you hear (I'm almost 100% sure you will not).

Reply #2
Your problems with Kernel Streaming sound like a driver issue. It works fine here (both with an SBLive! and onboard sound device)

As for ASIO: *shrug?* maybe play with ASIO buffer settings or something

Generally I'd suggest you to try to find out what kind of settings other DIO users are using.
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Reply #3
It could well be a driver issue - the card is a DIO2448 and support was never continued beyond Win98/ME, so the driver is in effect  'pre-beta'.

Fortunately the new (or rather newly built) PC works much better with all Foobar's outputs than the old Dell I had before (wavout and directsound suffered from dropouts - pops/clicks), and so far I can't hear any difference between them. So directsound it is, if ASIO won't cooperate.

R.