Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to...... (Read 2920 times) previous topic - next topic

How to......

Hi, I'm new to Foobar and I'm trying to figure out which one I need to install (special or one of the other options)
I'm using (and enjoying) Jet audio right now, I have a Terratec dmx 6fire sound card. And using a Klipsch system to enjoy the sound.
Any recommendations  or direction to a page with detailed instructions (and I mean simple info after 4 years of using this soundcard I still have no clue what Asio does or means, if that tells you something about my level of expertise)
Like I said I really enjoy my "JetAudio" player but are always on the look out for something better will Foobar give me that?

Thanks for any info and or help you can give me

metro60

How to......

Reply #1
I don't know JetAudio, so I can't compare, but...

F2K is a great tool that you can bend to almost every audio task you can think of.

Its learning curve is quite steep, but once you will start mastering it, you'll love it.

It is not a "bells and whistles" player, very sober in its standard user interface, but there are alternative more "visual" user interfaces (skins, if you like) available, although I stay with the simple "Column UI".

Said that, I must confess that I use it for almost everything but normal playback, for which I stay with Winamp, augmented by some input plug-in (Otachan in_mpg123.dll for MP3 and others for FLAC, MPC and Vorbis) and general plug-in (mp3cue for cuesheet support). This is because I'm fond with its (old-style) UI for which I've also developed my own skin. F2K can do all that as well and with the same and probably better quality.

Cheers

Sergio

Edit: some minor adjustements...
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

How to......

Reply #2
Thanks for responding,
So in other words if you are just looking for an excellent player and that's all you are going to do with it, play music, then foobar might be a little over he top for ppl like myself.
JetAudio is an excellent player that suports everything out there including an excellent dvd player plus the paid version has no "extra stuff" running in the background plus it also rips, ie it does everything under the sun.
But I will try Foobar  (which one to install though?) and see if I can master it.
Again thanks for responding

How to......

Reply #3
I think you should go for the special one, because why not? Plays most stuff (not midi though ) and it the extra diskspace is almost nothing.

By "extra stuff running in the background", do you mean like spyware or adware? If it is, that's a too high price to pay for a combined audio/video/dvd player.

How to......

Reply #4
Yes It has nothing but the program, one of the reasons I like it
If you want it to give it a look I can get it to you (you use Streamload?)
I've tried a lot of players but nothing has compared so far

How to......

Reply #5
@ metro60, i think you should checkout case's special distro of foobar here @ case's site as its usually updated frequently with the latest version of components thats in the normal special distro, as for other players i say stick with fb2k like smz said it does have a very steep learning curve but once you start getting the hang of things and how they work you wont go back to any other players out there. Just read up on the forum and you'll be fine. 
You're talking to my guy all wrong... It's the wrong tone. Say it again, and i'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron!

How to......

Reply #6
I will do just that

Thanks