Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: newbie question: aac filesize (Read 2727 times) previous topic - next topic

newbie question: aac filesize

Hi,

does a AAC @ 128 kbit produce the same file size as MP3 @ 128 kbit?

Thanks,
Sascha

Reply #1
Hi,

does a AAC @ 128 kbit produce the same file size as MP3 @ 128 kbit?

Thanks,
Sascha
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=258243"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, because 128 = 128.

First you should know what does this 128 mean. It means that you need 128000 bits for 1 second of your audio, that is 128 kbps = 128000 bits/second.

If your audio sample is 10 seconds long, than you will need 128 000 bits/second * 10 seconds = 1 280 000 bits to encode it. 

I guess, what you wanted to know is AAC quality vs. MP3 quality. Answer to that question is not this simple but let's say that with 96 kbps AAC you will get same quality as with 128 kbps with MP3. So you will save some space if you use AAC...

Daniel

Reply #2
I guess, what you wanted to know is AAC quality vs. MP3 quality.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=258247"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No Sir!  Actually I really wanted to know whether it produces the same file size. I had no idea about the encoding process but now, thanks to your explanation, I know that encoding at a specific bitrate will always produce the same file size, no matter what codec is being used.

Thanks!