Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Most efficient way to make tagged AAC files w/ EAC (Read 2870 times) previous topic - next topic

Most efficient way to make tagged AAC files w/ EAC

I have a PC in my house networked to my Mac, so I am able to use EAC to rip from CDs. I want these files to eventually end up in iTunes on my Mac in AAC so I can put them in my iPod.

Let's find the best way to do this...

I've noticed that giving EAC the command to copy the files uncompressed to the hard drive doesn't make an ID3 tag along with the file. What I've been doing is copying the wav files to the Mac and then encoding to AAC. Then I manually tag each song. It's a really big pain in the butt when you do this for many albums to say the least. I hope I am not beating a dead horse here. I've done some searches but could not find anything (most of the stuff here is for PC, but this is the most educated forum).

What is the most efficient way to create tagged AAC files with EAC?

Reply #1
I use EAC with my Plextor drives to rip to CUE/WAV files (use the IMG button in EAC) and then use Daemon Tools (http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/download.php) to mount up to four disc images at a time. iTunes will see these as if they are standard audio CDs and access Gracenote for tagging. You can then import the songs as MP3/AAC/whatever.

It's really fast once you have a whole bunch of disc images on your PC if you set iTunes to automatically import on disc mount. From CUE/WAV files to Apple Lossless on my Athlon XP 2800 went at over 30X (to AAC at 20X).

You can then copy the tagged audio files to your Mac via SMB/FTP/whatever.

I've done over 900 CDs this way, and I can't think of a better way to get decent rips (iTunes DAE on both Mac and PC is awful and slow) and use the pleasant interface of iTunes.

Reply #2
Thanks endstop! This looks like it will work out really well!

Reply #3
I use EAC with my Plextor drives to rip to CUE/WAV files (use the IMG button in EAC) and then use Daemon Tools (http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/download.php) to mount up to four disc images at a time. iTunes will see these as if they are standard audio CDs and access Gracenote for tagging. You can then import the songs as MP3/AAC/whatever.

It's really fast once you have a whole bunch of disc images on your PC if you set iTunes to automatically import on disc mount. From CUE/WAV files to Apple Lossless on my Athlon XP 2800 went at over 30X (to AAC at 20X).

You can then copy the tagged audio files to your Mac via SMB/FTP/whatever.

I've done over 900 CDs this way, and I can't think of a better way to get decent rips (iTunes DAE on both Mac and PC is awful and slow) and use the pleasant interface of iTunes.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=221360"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have tried this with iTunes but it never recognizes any virtual disc images that I mount (in WinXP or Win98).  I have used several different types of prgrams to mount the images, but never any luck with iTunes. 

Does anyone else have this issue?