Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Linux/Wine compatibility: request for feedback (Read 4704 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Linux/Wine compatibility: request for feedback

Reply #25
As I much prefer to open files in most programs using the File Manager's sendto menu, rather than open a program first and use it's own menu to open files, I spent some time with google while banging my head on the desk, but I eventually got it to work properly. I just noticed this thread so I thought I'd add the info here in case someone else might find it useful.

Create a desktop file for foobar2000 (a text file). Something like this:

Code: [Select]
[Desktop Entry]
Name=foobar2000
Comment=
Type=Application
Icon=/home/UserName/.local/share/icons/foobar2000.png
Exec=env sh -c "winepath -w -0 %F | WINEPREFIX='/home/UserName/.local/share/wineprefixes/Win64' xargs -0 wine start /Unix '/home/UserName/.local/share/wineprefixes/Win64/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/foobar2000/foobar2000.exe'"
StartupWMClass=foobar2000.exe
Categories=AudioVideo;Player;

My Wine prefix is called Win64. Obviously you'd change the name and the path to the Wine prefix accordingly. If you want an icon for the start menu entry, you need to create it yourself. My Linux distro included a utility for extracting icons from exes, and from there I saved it as a png.

The Categories line determines the start menu folder the foobar2000 shortcut will appear in.
Categories=AudioVideo;Player;
puts the shortcut in the "Multimedia" folder.

You can use either %F or %f in the file path (see the Exec line).
%F lets you open multiple files simultaneously via the sendto menu, whereas %f only opens one file at a time.

Save the text file as "foobar2000.desktop" or something similar.

For my distro, the "user" start menu folder is located here:
/home/UserName/.local/share/applications/
Put a copy of the foobar2000.desktop file in there. On occasion I've had to log out and back in before a new item would appear in the start menu.
For me, the File Manager's sendto folder is located here:
/usr/share/Thunar/sendto/
Put a copy of the foobar2000.desktop file in there too.

With any luck, you should now have a foobar2000 item in the sendto menu:

The above method should work for any program. If you're using a utility such as WineTricks to install programs in Wine, you'll need to modify any start menu "shortcut" WineTricks creates in order to use it as a sendto item.
The shortcuts PlayOnLinux creates usually work as sendto items as PlayOnLinux translates the command line. I'm not sure how that works exactly, but I've found programs can be a bit slow to open from the shortcuts it creates, whereas they open at normal speed from a shortcut like the one above.

If you use the "open with" menu to open files instead of sendto, it'll also work properly, assuming you replace any existing shortcut with a new one.

Reply #26
Please post info about any known misbehaviors here - preferably test the latest v1.6 not older.
In 2.1 x64 preview 2023-08-11 on winehq-staging 8.13:
* Freshly installed, Media Library > Music folders included a path that didn't exist, which resulted in increased CPU usage.

* In the properties of a streaming station in a saved playlist open in a tab (I have several), attempting to save after adding a field throws "One file could not be updated: Access denied." Making file permissions completely permissive hasn't helped.

* Perhaps related to the access denied error when saving with an added field, Save playlist on a tab opens a file dialog instead of saving the playlist, as occurs on native Windows.

* Among scores of stations (including FLAC, 320k, and lower bitrates), these 320k streams produce stuttered output. Adjusting Buffer length in Output, Read-head for HTTP in Advanced hasn't helped, and disabling DSPs hasn't helped:
http://79.120.77.11:9005
http://79.120.77.11:9129
http://79.120.77.11:9131
http://79.120.77.11:9133

If there were a 64-bit component of foo_out_pulse, which component has been essential in 32-bit, I would try it.

Reply #27
Change font of Preferences window

The font of the Preferences window (MS Shell Dlg) can't be changed in Colors and Fonts, and it typically isn't antialiased even with font smoothing is enabled.

(And I'm currently seeing font substitution working in 32-bit but not 64-bit, which is apparently a Wine issue because other programs are also affected.)

Perhaps as an Advanced pref, it would helpful to change this font not only to facilitate antialiasing but also to adjust its size independent of the DPI.