Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: some newbie advice for an MP3 DJ (Read 3528 times) previous topic - next topic

some newbie advice for an MP3 DJ

I am beginning to use Stanton's Final Scratch system to mix at clubs/radio shows.  If you are unfamiliar with FS, check out their website here -- www.finalscratch.com.  Basically, it is a little device that plugs to your turntables and to a laptop and allows you to manipulate MP3s on special vinyl records that have a timecode on them, "transferring" the MP3 songs on the laptop to the vinyl records so they become like regular 12" singles on a turntable.

I am a newbie to digital audio, although I am a competent techie (sys admin, programmer, etc.).  I have a few questions that I'd love your help on:

1) I have a vast collection of wax that I plan to transfer to MP3.  What is the best way to do this?  What programs do you recommend for this?

2) I have a vast collection of MP3s of music/original mixes that is unavailable on wax and I don't need to press it to wax anymore thanks to FS.  How do I ensure optimal sound quality for them?  They vary from 128 bit to 320 bit and some are much louder than others.  Will the use of the program MP3Gain help me get the sound levels more even?  Most are good quality recordings, even at the lower bit rates.

3) What are some must-have apps for anybody like myself who is going to be manipulating and creating MP3s actively?  The only software I have right now is Winamp and a bunch of plug-ins.  I've played around with high-end recording software like Pro Tools so I'm confident I can pick almost anything up with some practice.

Reply #1
dBpowerAMP is the top batch converter, but then I would say that.

Reply #2
just checked out your site and I must say that is exactly one of the tools I was looking for.  Talk about making it easy to get my wax to MP3!  Thanks man.

Reply #3
As far as manipulating, try to get a hold of either soundforge (my choice) or CoolEdit Pro
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #4
Make sure you choose your encoder wisely as well, you don't want to have to go back and re-do them later.

Let me know what you're priorities are, in terms of size, quality, and convenience for your audio and I'll recommend a good encoder if you want.

chris

Reply #5
Guys, thanks for all the advice, keep it coming!

cmyden, my priorities are:
1) quality (good enough to be able to rock a large club with a good sound system with a ton of bass - I spin mainly hiphop, reggae, etc.)

2) size (since the Final scratch software only runs on a version of Linux that doesn't read USB devices and all my extra storage is via USB, so I'm restricted to about 20 GB, which isn't a lot to store a ton of mp3s)

3) convenience (ranked last only because I am willing to do extra work to get the right quality and size combo).

Reply #6
I'm not really familiar with the FinalScratch system, but I checked it out.

It's my understanding that it can only play MP3s ?  (Not Ogg Vorbis, or MPC files)

In your post you wrote:

> How do I ensure optimal sound quality for them? They vary from 128 bit to 320 bit > and some are much louder than others. Will the use of the program MP3Gain help > me get the sound levels more even? Most are good quality recordings, even at the > lower bit rates.

Well once an MP3 is encoded you can't really improve the sound quality, but yes MP3Gain can definitely help make the sound levels even.

I've also never used dBpowerAMP, but it looks great.  However when looking at the built-in MP3 encoders I didn't notice the LAME mp3 encoder listed, which is the best quality MP3 encoder (and it's free).

I'm not sure if you can use your own encoders with it or if you have to use the ones listed on their website?

Anyways, I can tell you that you should stay away from any encoder with the word Xing or Blade in it.  The Fraunhofer MP3 encoder is ok, but LAME has been the best MP3 encoder for quite a while. 

With the LAME encoder you can achieve CD-quality MP3s at bitrates between 190-210kb/s when you use the correct parameters.

With the LAME encoder, using the alt preset standard switch (cd quality) one can fit about 220 songs per gig.  (So you could fit about 4400 songs on your 20GB drive)

chris

Reply #7
Originally posted by cmyden
I'm not really familiar with the FinalScratch system, but I checked it out.

It's my understanding that it can only play MP3s ?  (Not Ogg Vorbis, or MPC files)

that is correct.  As of now, it plays only MP3s.  It really is a revolutionary system that I think you guys will hear more about if you're into electronic music at all (dj'ing, production, etc.).  The "ScratchAmp" which is basically a digital to analog converter that plugs in to your dj mixer and your laptop, allows the transferring of mp3 information to your turntable.  The turntable has a timecoded specially pressed vinyl record that then is mapped to the mp3 by the Final Scratch software on the laptop.  This mapping is subsecond - instantaneous.  Once that occurs, you can scratch a record, play it forwards and backwards at various speeds, it really is exactly like using a conventional vinyl record on a turntable.

So dj's no longer have to wait for music to be pressed to vinyl.  I could come up with a production, record it to mp3 and be able to spin it at clubs, scratch it up, do all types of turntable tricks to it.

Your feedback was very helpful and explained at the right level for a newbie like me.  Thanks!

Reply #8
Wow, that sounds pretty cool.  I have many DJ friends both in the 'real world' here in Canada and online all across the world, I will have to chat with them about this.

If you find out whether or not you can use your own encoder, and need any help with the best settings for what you want to achieve, just give me a shout.

My site is http://www.chrismyden.com

MSN: [a href='mailto:cmyden@hotmail.com'][/a]
AIM: csmyden
YIM: cmyden

Or just post here so everyone can help.

chris

Reply #9
dBpowerAMP uses Lame 3.92 as its encoder (currently).