Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Best program for Ripping Apple Lossless from CD's (Read 23967 times) previous topic - next topic

Best program for Ripping Apple Lossless from CD's

Reply #25
I would highly discourage this because the iPod has a 9meg cache/memory.  With the large filesizes (anything over 9megs) with Apple Lossless the harddrive will be constantly spinning, which dramatically decreases the life of the product.
The iPod have 32 MB memory!
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You're wrong. MJ is right. Just check Apple's site.

Reg. the original post, I would just use the "K.I.S.S" method & use iTunes...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=235988"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No solaris is right, the iPod does have a 32mb Cache. Apple recommends that file sizes are kept below 9mb for optimal battery life.

[a href="http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipods.html]http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipods.html[/url]

Reply #26
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=235928"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I know I`m correct, can you prove me wrong? 

Please, please, please...  LOL

Reply #27
What are you trying to acomplish?  If you are trying to go from Apple Lossless to Flac you can use dBPowerAmp.  The impression I'm getting is that you are transcoding from Apple Lossless to Wav.  In that case I think you are on your own because outside of iTunes, wav files do not have a standard tagging from like ID1v1.  Maybe there is some information in the Wikis.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=235914"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What i'm trying to accomplish? Eh, i'm my case i'm doing EAC -> CDImage (Monkey's Audio), then using foobar2000 + iTunesEncode to transcode to both AAC and Apple Lossless.  I had originally (its been a few years back) used EAC but track by track...then only long term issue I found was that .... well with 10000+ files correcting mistakes in tagging was a royal nightmare. I had to rename the file, retag the file, fix the cue sheet, fix the log file... it was a nasty process. Now I have a single point of modifcation (cue sheet).

Oh and as per the iPod issue, while I understand that use Apple Lossless might decrease battery life, since that iPod never leaves the dock, its not really an issue. Now, if it decreases the longevity of the product, thats just something i'll have to deal with... I bought that iPod for this specific purpose, I have 20GB I carry around for AAC.

-----
Domain

Reply #28
I'd suggest that repairing Tag data is pretty easy in iTunes.  I guess if you try to fix dates and such it could be time consuming, but if you are worried about the spelling of band names, the genre of the music, etc you can highlight a lot of stuff and fix it at once.  ie, highlight all of a single bands music and change it all to "rock". 

B

Reply #29
I would highly discourage this because the iPod has a 9meg cache/memory.  With the large filesizes (anything over 9megs) with Apple Lossless the harddrive will be constantly spinning, which dramatically decreases the life of the product.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Reg. the original post, I would just use the "K.I.S.S" method & use iTunes...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=235988"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

iPod has 32MB of DRAM. check out this link :

[a href="http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/consumer_electronics/stats/ipod_4threv.html]http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/cons...pod_4threv.html[/url]