Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: audio cd burn problems (Read 2968 times) previous topic - next topic

audio cd burn problems

I have win2k, plextor 8432 IDE as secondary master.

I can burn a data cd just fine. Over and over, a data cd burns fine. I havent burned an audio cd in months, so Im not sure what changed that could cause this but it always freezes part way into the burn when its an Audio CD. Nero freezes, SonyCDxtreme freezes. Explorer freezes and the CD drive becomes inaccessible. The burner light stops blinking and the system slowly takes a plunge into hell. reboot.

Ive tried Nero and SonyCDXtreme. Same problem on both.
I tried burning mp3s (nero converts them on the fly) and wav files. same result.

the only thing I can think of is that data cds are track at once and audio cds are disc at once. Why would it have problems with Audio but not data. The drive is several years old. Perhaps its over the hill ?

i did use good media (taiyo uden)
i did try 2x
the audio files were on the HD
I tried creating an audio cd AND cloning a cd with clonecd

both failed - both use disc at once

burning track at once works fine (including large files)

Ive checked the cables

i have the latest nero and sony cd extreme and the latest bios

i do not have autorun enabled (no real player or anything like that has association)

audio cd burn problems

Reply #1
Strange bug.
It doesn't seem to come from the software.
Let's check the hardware then :
1 - firmware for the plextor,
2 - trying it on the primary IDE channel, they sometimes have different drivers
3 - IDE busmaster drivers for the motherboard...

audio cd burn problems

Reply #2
both failed - both use disc at once

burning track at once works fine (including large files)

Not sure if this is what you meant, but here goes anyway,

I have used a brand of 'cdr' in the past that would only burn a vcd using 'disc at once' with one writing software - and only burn 'track at once' with another writing software (ECDC & Nero), using the same drive. I did not try it with audio but wanted to post this just in case you are having the same problem. Maybe try another brand of cdr media just for the hell of it, you never know. In my experience the cheapest cdrw has been a lot better than the dearest cdr.

Is 'cd text' enabled? this has also caused problems even though the drive supports it. ???

Some mp3 that have been converted or let the writing software convert just had something wrong with them that have froze the writing software, is this possible?
Why take life seriously? No one gets out alive.

audio cd burn problems

Reply #3
I have the latest firmware

tried with cd text disabled, same result
tried mp3s (Nero) and WAV (Nero,CDxtreme)

will try different media AND primary IDE channel
(though I dont want it there dammit !!) but I guess if it works, it works.

also will try the Via busmaster drivers, although I am gunshy with those things. They always seem buggy.
I never use them and always use the standard dual.

Thanks for your responses.