Skip to main content

Notice

Please be aware that much of the software linked to or mentioned on this forum is niche and therefore infrequently downloaded. Lots of anti-virus scanners and so-called malware detectors like to flag infrequently downloaded software as bad until it is either downloaded enough times, or its developer actually bothers with getting each individual release allow listed by every single AV vendor. You can do many people a great favor when encountering such a "problem" example by submitting them to your AV vendor for examination. For almost everything on this forum, it is a false positive.
Topic: simply playback toslink input (Read 3241 times) previous topic - next topic

simply playback toslink input

Hi,
I just got a Maudio Transit. How can I setup this card to playback the input send via toslink (just use it as DAC). I know there is a line:// input plugin for winamp, but it adds latency of about half a second. Isn't there a more simple way using windows mixer / asio or sth?

Thanks in advance.

Reply #1
When you say "TOS-link", you mean that you're using the mini optical jack with the TOS-link to minijack adapter, right?  The Transit's actual TOS-link plug is an output, I thought.

Anyway, I've got a Delta 44.  Although it doesn't have any SPDIF (I have to use my audigy 2 ZS platinum pro for that, grr), I'd think the Transit's inputs and the ones on the delta cards work along the same lines.  I've never used Windows' mixer with the Delta 44, though, just the control panel software that came with the card.  However, I think there's a setting in the panel to simply monitor what's being input to the card.  Though the exact settings probably vary depending on what card you have.

As long as you set the Transit as Windows' default audio device, though, you should be able to use the basic windows volume control to play your input through the speakers.

Reply #2
When you say "TOS-link", you mean that you're using the mini optical jack with the TOS-link to minijack adapter, right?

exactly.
However, I think there's a setting in the panel to simply monitor what's being input to the card.

That's what I'm searching. A screenshot of all I have:
http://hannes.imos.net/transit.gif

What I'm missing in Windows Mixer is a LineIn-slider in the playback view. It's only available under Recording.

I remeber having a LineIn Slider on my 6 years old SB128. Is such a basic feature not possible with this card? Any additional software I need to install?

Reply #3
And to think my drivers are shitty...
Isn't there more than the "general" tab ? My soundcard driver software has an "advanced" window with an option "deliver SPDIF input to analog output" (or the like) I think that's the pretty normal case.
edit: Your screenshot doesn't show what "operating modes" you have, possibly...
I know that I know nothing. But how can I then know that ?

Reply #4
Isn't there more than the "general" tab ?

Can't find anything, latest drivers installed
edit: Your screenshot doesn't show what "operating modes" you have, possibly...

http://g0a.net/panel.png

Reply #5
Well, to end this frustrating thing. Anyone could recommend a cheap card that is capable of the above? Only requirement is toslink-in, good quality stereo-out. It does not need to do anything else (That's why I bought the Transit, but seems to be wasted money ). USB or PCI, doesn't really matter. A bit perfect optical-out might be nice, but isn't required. A stand alone DAC might be an option as well, but I guess most of them are in the upper price range and I don't want to spend much money - my high-end system is in the other room - I just need something for background listening here. 

Reply #6
"DD/DTS pass-through" isn't the thing you desire ?

I bought my Typhoon acoustic 6 5+1 (don't know if this is the exact name) from Pollin Electronic. They're somewhere in Bavaria, you're in Germany too, so this might be an option. It was cheap (~20-30 Euro) but the drivers often don't work. The hardware is good, bit-true input.

Reply #7
"DD/DTS pass-through" isn't the thing you desire ?

I guess that is just an option to ensure an unaltered bit-stream pass-through for software dvd players to home theater receivers over optical out. Tried that setting, doesn't do anything and seems the force 48khz - all my files and my toslink source is 44.1khz - so I guess it's worth nothing for me :/

However I have another strange problem now. Everything worked ok a few weeks. Since yesterday the card refuses the generate any analouge output, except in the 2out / 24 / 96khz mode. I mean it looks like everything is ok in the other modes, Winamp and Foobar2000 look like successfully playing audio - even over ASIO - there is just no signal on analouge output for some reason. Like having checked mute on the main windows slider. I checked all and everything, windows mixer, all sliders unmuted and at 100%, dfferent levels of hardware accelleration, reinstalled the drivers a few times, changed the usb-port - and even plugged in another Transit to make sure it's not a hardware problem. Hell I'm lost. The only thing I remeber having changed yesterday was installing drivers for my new logitech mouse :/ Can't believe that that might be related in any way. I really like to hack arround with things, but sometimes.. why can't something just damn work?

Reply #8
Maybe your OS is winXP ?
My drivers always had problems with this OS. WinXP has some weird audio things interferring with the soundcard drivers. Of course I'm angry about being forced to use win 9x...(I don't know that much about Linux)

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021