Skip to main content

Topic: Ogg Vorbis optimized for speed (Read 208031 times) previous topic - next topic

• ckjnigel
  • [*][*][*]
Ogg Vorbis optimized for speed
Reply #300
Steve Jobs disappointed me by not coming out with a 100 Gb iPod to hold the 9,800 M4As I'd spent since Christmas transcoding from FLAC to Nero M4As.
So I've set to re-encoding as Ogg Vorbis q 4.5 in hopes that can make them fit on my 60 Gb Cowon iAudio.
It's proceeding right now on the Sony Vaio 2 GHz Core Duo notebook I bought Tuesday.
OMG, is it ever fast with the SSE3 MT build! I'm surprised how much faster it is than using SSE2 optimization on the Athlon64 3300+ desktop under Win X64.
Thanks so much to all the developers!

• vinnie97
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #301
Good choice, more people should give Steve Jobs the finger.

• PatchWorKs
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #302
New Vorbis optimization project here, check it out ! 

• Firon
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #303
Someone test it and tell us how it compares to Lancer.

• MedO
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #304
Someone test it and tell us how it compares to Lancer.

They tuned Xiph Vorbis 1.0.1 and boast a performance increase of 18%. I can't seem to find a date on their page or in the documentation. Also, the download size for the "binaries" package is an impressive 90MiB. Nothing to see here, move along...

• Mangix
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #305
i tested it and on their intel-optimized binary, the radio.wav file which was included took 45 seconds to encode on -q10. the non-intel binary took 49.

i also tested out Lancer's builds(SSE2-Threaded one) and i got 22 seconds.

as MedO said, nothing to see here.

• rjamorim
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #306
Steve Jobs disappointed me by not coming out with a 100 Gb iPod to hold the 9,800 M4As I'd spent since Christmas transcoding from FLAC to Nero M4As.

Honestly, do you need to carry 9800 songs with you?
Get up-to-date binaries of Lame, AAC, Vorbis and much more at RareWares:
http://www.rarewares.org

• vinnie97
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #307
Need isn't as significant as the ability to do so.  It gives one the greatest variety of music when not tethered to their PC.

• singaiya
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #308
Some people travel and are not at home for weeks or months at a time.  iTunes says my 55 gb "checked playlist" lasts 30.7 days. It was enough for the last time I was out of town for 3 weeks, and it's nice to know I didn't run out of music.

• HydroFred
  • [*][*]
Reply #309
How much faster are SSE2 and SSE3 versions of lancer compared to SSE? My CPU only supports SSE, and I would like to know how much boost I can expect from a CPU upgrade.

Are the MT versions ~twice as fast on a dual core cpu, e.g. Core2Duo / Athlon64 X2 ?

FLAC -> OGG conversion runs at 21x on my system (Athlon XP-M 2600+ @ 10x200), how much can I expect from an Athlon64 X2 3800+ ?

• haregoo
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #310
How much faster are SSE2 and SSE3 versions of lancer compared to SSE?

SSE2/3 has less importance on lancer. But MT enables ~1.4 times faster encoding.
Benchmark on Athlon64 X2 and Core2Duo FYI.

Lancers MT makes use of up to 2 core per encoding. If you have quad core, you have to run 2 instances at a time, Lancer is enough fast tho

• MedO
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #311

How much faster are SSE2 and SSE3 versions of lancer compared to SSE?

SSE2/3 has less importance on lancer. But MT enables ~1.4 times faster encoding.
Benchmark on Athlon64 X2 and Core2Duo FYI.

Lancers MT makes use of up to 2 core per encoding. If you have quad core, you have to run 2 instances at a time, Lancer is enough fast tho

I kind of wonder why you don't just run two single-threaded encoders instead of the multithreaded one. Usually you'll encode multiple files anyway. That way it'd be ~2x as fast instead of 1.4x...

• pepoluan
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #312
I kind of wonder why you don't just run two single-threaded encoders instead of the multithreaded one. Usually you'll encode multiple files anyway. That way it'd be ~2x as fast instead of 1.4x...
We techheads will do that. But simpler users (i.e. the overwhelming majority of PC users) tend to encode one at a time.
Nobody is Perfect.
I am Nobody.

http://pandu.poluan.info

• Farch
  • [*]
Reply #313
ye, new problems are coming up, there are 4-core cpu`s on the market, and early will be 8. We need a solution, unlike:
1. lancer need`s to check out how many cores in system
2. use them all
3. it will be bad idea to limit him on 8 cores...(maybe this is not the end?)

• slav!x
  • [*]
Reply #314
ye, new problems are coming up, there are 4-core cpu`s on the market, and early will be 8. We need a solution, unlike:
1. lancer need`s to check out how many cores in system
2. use them all
3. it will be bad idea to limit him on 8 cores...(maybe this is not the end?)

and add SSE5 and SSE6 support!!!

• MickeyP
  • [*]
Reply #315
Does anyone know if there are lancer static-built binaries for windows I can download anywhere? This would be very useful, thanks.

• dutch109
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #316
Does anyone know if there are lancer static-built binaries for windows I can download anywhere? This would be very useful, thanks.

http://homepage3.nifty.com/blacksword/index.htm

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...Flanguage_tools (same page translated by Google)
Vorbis -q2/5 (Android/PC) & WavPack -hhx6m
https://playnoise.com/

• MickeyP
  • [*]
Reply #317
Can someone who owns the Intel compiler please build and make available windows static library binaries ( static-link libraries (*.lib) that do not depend on any ogg/vorbis dll at run time ) ?  Ideally these would be compiled using the release multi--threaded version of MSVCRT, thanks!
  • Last Edit: 25 February, 2008, 09:05:30 AM by MickeyP