Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Encspot "Input Frequency" ? (Read 5855 times) previous topic - next topic

Encspot "Input Frequency" ?

What does the 'input frequency' field mean ?

I am asking because many files that i've downloaded have a 32khz or less value and also 'quality index' = 0

The mp3's that I create myself always have 44.1khz and quality index is > 0

Reply #1
I'm afraid it is the sampling rate...

44.1 KHz is the standard sampling rate for Audio CD

32 KHz is...  crap (need I to ABX that statement?)

Sergio
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

Reply #2
I think that info is read from the lame tag, if there is no lame tag for some reason EncSpot defaults to 32 kHz. Nothing to worry about, its only a "bug" in Encspot.

Reply #3
I think that info is read from the lame tag, if there is no lame tag for some reason EncSpot defaults to 32 kHz. Nothing to worry about, its only a "bug" in Encspot.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=250622"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Are you sure about that? With which version of Encspot? I just tried to inspect old Xing and FhG encoded files (they do not have a LAME tag) with Encspot (2.1 Professional beta 1) and I get 44100 for all of them...

Sergio

EDIT: No, you're right: I was looking at "Freq. (Hz)" in the "General" section, not at the "Input Frequency" in the "LAME Tag" section. For that I get "32KHz or lesss", as you said. My fault.
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

Reply #4
Thanks for the reply. I also think its a bug since i hear no obvious artifacts.

Reply #6
You could have a look at the MP3 with Audition and if it has a lowpass of exact 16 KHz, the source file might have been sampled at 32 KHz (unless LAME lowpassed the file to 16 KHz).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=250644"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

But it doesn't prove either 32 or 44.1 kHz. Only if the cut-off is above 16 kHz it would prove 44.1 kHz sampling rate. 44.1 kHz is way more probable anyway.

Reply #7
You could have a look at the MP3 with Audition and if it has a lowpass of exact 16 KHz, the source file might have been sampled at 32 KHz (unless LAME lowpassed the file to 16 KHz).

But it doesn't prove either 32 or 44.1 kHz. Only if the cut-off is above 16 kHz it would prove 44.1 kHz sampling rate. 44.1 kHz is way more probable anyway.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=250765"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You could have a look at the MP3 with Audition and if it has a lowpass of exact 16 KHz, the source file [span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%']might[/span] have been sampled at 32 KHz (unless LAME lowpassed the file to 16 KHz).

Reply #8
Anyway the input frequency is not that important. What is important is how it sounds, not how it looks on a spectrogram.

Reply #9
Sorry for being a bit unclear. I did notice the "might" the first time. Just wanted to point out that it is still extremely unlikely that the original file was 32 kHz. The cutoff really doesn't give that much (any?) information about the sampling frequency. I mean most/many non-Lame encoders cutoff at 16 kHz anyway.

I just felt that "might" wasn't enough to describe the extremely small chance of that being the case...

Reply #11
I mean most/many non-Lame encoders cutoff at 16 kHz anyway.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=250824"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Non-LAME encoders don't add a LAME tag which EncSpot evaluates.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=250829"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That was exactly my point. When there is no lame tag, EncSpot shows Input Frequency 32 kHz by default.

Reply #12
I mean most/many non-Lame encoders cutoff at 16 kHz anyway.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=250824"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Non-LAME encoders don't add a LAME tag which EncSpot evaluates.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=250829"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That was exactly my point. When there is no lame tag, EncSpot shows Input Frequency 32 kHz by default.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=251326"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

When there is no LAME tag, EncSpot shows the respective menu item greyed out here.

Reply #13

When there is no LAME tag, EncSpot shows the respective menu item greyed out here.
not with Encspot 2.1 pro build 489, and certainly not with my setup (basic version 2.0)...

if there is no Lame tag, "32kHz or less" is shown as input frequency . always.
even IF the i.f. WAS 44100Hz.
I verified this with my own encodes (Lame 3.90.3 & 3.96.1 and FhG rdm).

let's finally discard this as a bug...

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']edit: spelling[/span]
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)