Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Flacattack new versions announce (Read 51993 times) previous topic - next topic

Flacattack new versions announce

Reply #75
NICE! Thank you again. I'm considering ripping my whole collection again if you promise not too add too many "essential" features.

Reply #76
NICE! Thank you again. I'm considering ripping my whole collection again if you promise not too add too many "essential" features.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=269779"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What did you have in mind?

Reply #77
Nothing at all. I was trying to be witty but it didn't come across at all.

I just tried out v0.9 and I got an error when it got to metaflac.exe replay-gain.

Application has generated an exception that could not be handled
Process id=0x658 (1624), Thread id=0x5b0 (1456).
Click ok/cancel

Then it turned out to to be a typo in the config.

Is the new GUI going to support the AAC encoding/replay-gain configuration?

I think FLACattack has come a great way feature-wise and does not need any improvement in that department (right now at least). What we might want to see is some error reporting or config-file-checking mechanism. It takes a long time to wait for a CD to be ripped each time you correct a mistake in your config. I suppose the GUI goes to some extent in preventing these problems. If i speak from a newbie standpoint I'd want a bundled version of flacattack (installer plus all major codecs used). I know some of my friends would like the awesome configurability of FLACattack if it didn't come at the price of newbie incompatibility. I am extremely pleased with the direction FLACattack is going but in my opinion you need to extend on the GUI aspect if you want to reach beyond the super nerdy audience of HA.

Once again; just some thoughts if you want to take your amazing application to a next step (something you've down numerous times!).

Reply #78
Nothing at all. I was trying to be witty but it didn't come across at all.

Not your fault. I'm just a little slow. 

Is the new GUI going to support the AAC encoding/replay-gain configuration?

It sure will. It will support everything that is available in the ini file.

What we might want to see is some error reporting or config-file-checking mechanism. It takes a long time to wait for a CD to be ripped each time you correct a mistake in your config. I suppose the GUI goes to some extent in preventing these problems.

That is a great idea and I believe it necessary as well. You are right that the GUI will help with this quite a bit. The only thing I can think of doing would be checking for incorrect options given to the encoders/utilities. However, with the plethora of options and so  many encoders/utilities, I'm not sure how I would go about that

If i speak from a newbie standpoint I'd want a bundled version of flacattack (installer plus all major codecs used). I know some of my friends would like the awesome configurability of FLACattack if it didn't come at the price of newbie incompatibility. I am extremely pleased with the direction FLACattack is going but in my opinion you need to extend on the GUI aspect if you want to reach beyond the super nerdy audience of HA.

I agree with you here. It would be nice to be able to have a bundle. Is there anything stopping this legally? Which programs can't be included in the bundle, if any. I'm thinking that anything that is GPL would be fine to include.

Once again; just some thoughts if you want to take your amazing application to a next step (something you've down numerous times!).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=269789"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I appreciate the help and support.

Reply #79
Ok I just got through my first FLACattack. It includes a wealth of special characters

ÆÐÁÍ and others. None of them came through to the CUEsheet. That's for the cuesheet that was saved along-side my FLAC. I also chose to embedd it. Here is where the strange-ness begins. It clips the rest of the CUEsheet at the first special character.

Here is what my embedded CUEsheet looks like
Code: [Select]
PERFORMER "Sigur R

Here is the one saved with the FLAC
PERFORMER "Sigur Rs"
TITLE "gtis Byrjun"
FILE "1999 - Ágætis Byrjun.flac" WAVE
 TRACK 01 AUDIO
   TITLE "Intro"
   PERFORMER "Sigur Rs"
   ISRC GBDCA9900066
   INDEX 01 00:00:00
 TRACK 02 AUDIO
   TITLE "Svefn-G-Englar"
   PERFORMER "Sigur Rs"
   ISRC GBDCA9900067
   INDEX 01 01:37:07
 TRACK 03 AUDIO
   TITLE "Starlfur"
   PERFORMER "Sigur Rs"
   ISRC GBDCA9900068
   INDEX 01 11:41:27
 TRACK 04 AUDIO
   TITLE "Flugufrelsarinn"
   PERFORMER "Sigur Rs"
   ISRC GBDCA9900069
   INDEX 01 18:27:47
 TRACK 05 AUDIO
   TITLE "N Batter"
   PERFORMER "Sigur Rs"
   ISRC GBDCA9900070
   INDEX 01 26:16:10
 TRACK 06 AUDIO
   TITLE "Hjarta Hamast (Bamm Bamm Bamm)"
   PERFORMER "Sigur Rs"
   ISRC GBDCA9900071
   INDEX 00 34:24:40
   INDEX 01 34:26:30
 TRACK 07 AUDIO
   TITLE "Virar Vel Til Loftrsa"
   PERFORMER "Sigur Rs"
   ISRC GBDCA9900072
   INDEX 00 41:35:15
   INDEX 01 41:36:47
 TRACK 08 AUDIO
   TITLE "Olsen Olsen"
   PERFORMER "Sigur Rs"
   ISRC GBDCA9900073
   INDEX 00 51:51:22
   INDEX 01 51:54:22
 TRACK 09 AUDIO
   TITLE "gtis Byrjun"
   PERFORMER "Sigur Rs"
   ISRC GBDCA9900074
   INDEX 01 59:57:32
 TRACK 10 AUDIO
   TITLE "Avalon"
   PERFORMER "Sigur Rs"
   ISRC GBDCA9900075
   INDEX 00 67:36:67
   INDEX 01 67:53:20
Performer should be (and is in EAC) Sigur Rós. There are many more examples of missing characters in the song titles. Any idea what's going on? I wouldn't be reporting on this except for the fact that I've had this problem before but I just didn't realize what was going on until I noticed it was exactly where the special characters were (yeah i know pretty thick thinking).

Also FLACattack didn't do any AAC but I'll assume for now that's my fault. : )

EDIT: HMMMMM very dubious behaviour in Foobar2000. I updated the CUESHEET tag with a proper cuesheet and refreshed. Guess what: same thing happened. Could this be related to foobar2000? Is this a known problem?

Reply #80
I wish I had a CD with special characters to do some testing. I guess I could just insert them. When you rip this CD just using Flac as the external encoder, what kind of output do you get for the cue file? Are the special characters missing?

As far as the embedded cue sheet, I'm thinking that Tag doesn't support unicode. Or is that untrue? I'm not sure. And when it encounters a character it doesn't recognize, it freaks out.

Reply #81
Yeah that's exactly what I was guessing. So once TAG supports unicode I can start ripping : )

However; I still can't use the saved .cue files because Foobar2000 gives me an error. I change the filename to something that doesn't have Icelandic characters and voilá! I refer my cuesheet to the new filename and everthing works like a charm (except now my songs have missing characters and my filename has been replaced with non-special characters).

Reply #82
Flacattack is doing something here to remove the special characters. I'm not sure what yet, but I'm looking into it. Thanks for letting me know.

Reply #83
Shouldn't Replay-gain be stored in an OGG tag instead of a CUESHEET comment field? Just a thought.

Something strange happened on my second "non special character" rip. The embedded cuesheet just has "Track 01", "Track 02" etc. instead of the song titles. The saved .cue file however is correctly formatted...

EDIT: I'd really like to be able to toggle "Genre" on or off. Personally I don't label my music. Is this possible?

Reply #84
Shouldn't Replay-gain be stored in an OGG tag instead of a CUESHEET comment field? Just a thought.

Something strange happened on my second "non special character" rip. The embedded cuesheet just has "Track 01", "Track 02" etc. instead of the song titles. The saved .cue file however is correctly formatted...

EDIT: I'd really like to be able to toggle "Genre" on or off. Personally I don't label my music. Is this possible?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=269830"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Different implementations of replay-gain store it differently. All replay-gaining is done by  separate utilities (metaflac, vorbisgain, etc) and not by Flacattack itself so I can't help you much with that.

That is normal for embedded cue sheets. That is all the information that is supported by metaflac with embedded cue. When you play the flac image, (are you using foobar?) does it just show "Track 1", "Track 2" or is it showing the song titles?

Right now you can't toggle "genre" on/off. To do that, I'll have to make tagging part of the encoder options in the flacattack.ini file. I've debated whether or not to do this.

Reply #85
The embedded cuesheet has just "Track 1", "Track 2" etc. and displays those as the song titles in a Foobar2000 playlist. I'll do another rip however and report again if the problem persists.

EDIT: I ripped another CD and there is that same problem with the song titles.

Reply #86
One feature I'd like to see (and may create myself if I get the time to do it) is for FLACattack to be able to run outside of EAC on files that have already been ripped - either at the .wav level or starting from FLACs.

I currently have ripped hundreds of CDs into FLACs using EAC for archiving and transcoded those to Ogg for use on my Rio Karma. Unfortunately, at the time I didn't realize the need for CUE sheets (I'll have to generate those, but that should be a fairly quick process if I understand EAC correctly). I'm still not 100% sure I understand how to go from individual FLACs + CUE Sheet back to CD image, but I'm sure I'll figure it out someday.

Now that I also have a Rio Carbon, I've got to transcode a lot of stuff from FLAC to MP3, and something like FLACattack would be great for that. If I could simply go to a directory containing the FLACs + CUE sheet for an album and type something like "FLACattack -MP3" and have it create the MP3s, copy the tags, apply MP3gain and plop the results into an MP3 directory, life would be sweet. I already have all my FLACs (and soon CUE sheets) stored in an artist\album directory structure, so this would be fairly simple.

Plus, I would actually prefer NOT to use FLACattack within EAC, as I generally brush up the default freedb tags using The Godfather (TGF) tag editor. I find freedb tags are often a little iffy - plus I can add some additional tags via TGF that freedb doesn't support.

Just ideas - I'll poke around the source and see how difficult something like that would be. If it's too hard, I'll probably just write something from scratch.

Thanks for the great work!

Reply #87
The embedded cuesheet has just "Track 1", "Track 2" etc. and displays those as the song titles in a Foobar2000 playlist. I'll do another rip however and report again if the problem persists.

EDIT: I ripped another CD and there is that same problem with the song titles.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=269840"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

jokull:
I found and fixed the problem you were having with the special characters disappearing in the cue sheet. Please try it out and let me know. It was an encoding issue with a C# function. I just had to set a couple of extra parameters. I'll look into the embedded cue issue.

Version 0.91 available. See first post.

Reply #88
One feature I'd like to see (and may create myself if I get the time to do it) is for FLACattack to be able to run outside of EAC on files that have already been ripped - either at the .wav level or starting from FLACs.

I started to work on something like this too. It was based on the Flacattack GUI. I put it off to finish adding some features to Flacattack and to do the C# rewrite. I might finish it later.

Now that I also have a Rio Carbon, I've got to transcode a lot of stuff from FLAC to MP3, and something like FLACattack would be great for that. If I could simply go to a directory containing the FLACs + CUE sheet for an album and type something like "FLACattack -MP3" and have it create the MP3s, copy the tags, apply MP3gain and plop the results into an MP3 directory, life would be sweet. I already have all my FLACs (and soon CUE sheets) stored in an artist\album directory structure, so this would be fairly simple.

I think this is a good idea. I'm sure there are others out there in your same situation and it would be nice to have a tool to do this in one step. I'm sure it can all be done with Foobar but it would take multiple steps.

Plus, I would actually prefer NOT to use FLACattack within EAC, as I generally brush up the default freedb tags using The Godfather (TGF) tag editor. I find freedb tags are often a little iffy - plus I can add some additional tags via TGF that freedb doesn't support.

Understandable

Just ideas - I'll poke around the source and see how difficult something like that would be. If it's too hard, I'll probably just write something from scratch.

Let me know if you decided to write something. I'd be interested.

Thanks for the great work!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=269895"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You're welcome!

Reply #89
All discussions aside, Flacattack makes archiving incredibly easier.  I'm impressed that the development is currently rolling along this quickly.  Thank you!
"The way we see our world is better than yours."

Reply #90
I found that it wasn't ripping AAC because I was still referring EAC to facli.exe. Sorry about that. I had some problems with the AAC output. All special characters are stripped. Are you pulling these values from the CUEsheet? The "Performer/Artist" field should be Sigur Rós but it's only "Sigur R" -
If it were only stripping the special characters it should have included that last "s" is Rós but that's also stripped away suggesting that it's pulling it from a damaged TAG cuesheet or something. The song titles are not cut off like that (just the special characters).
AAC tags are also missing track numbers and the album tag. Embedded FLAC cuesheet still isn't tagged. Just letting you know again since I'm now using the correct .exe.

EDIT : Forgot to report but the .cue file is working perfectly now! BRAVO!
EDIT 2 : Seems that the tracknumbers are coming through in AAC to all tracks except 8 and 9 ..... ?

Reply #91
I found that it wasn't ripping AAC because I was still referring EAC to facli.exe. Sorry about that. I had some problems with the AAC output. All special characters are stripped. Are you pulling these values from the CUEsheet? The "Performer/Artist" field should be Sigur Rós but it's only "Sigur R" -
If it were only stripping the special characters it should have included that last "s" is Rós but that's also stripped away suggesting that it's pulling it from a damaged TAG cuesheet or something. The song titles are not cut off like that (just the special characters).
AAC tags are also missing track numbers and the album tag. Embedded FLAC cuesheet still isn't tagged. Just letting you know again since I'm now using the correct .exe.

EDIT : Forgot to report but the .cue file is working perfectly now! BRAVO!
EDIT 2 : Seems that the tracknumbers are coming through in AAC to all tracks except 8 and 9 ..... ?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Lookie what I found:

[a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=24663&view=findpost&p=231164]http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ndpost&p=231164[/url]

I'm guessing that the other problem, AAC tags not working correctly is also a result of a problem with FAAC. I'll look into it more though. I tried a run with Flacattack and  mp3, mpc, and ogg, and everything went well.

I did find a few more spots where I needed to add the function parameters as I mentioned in a previous post. I've made the changes and will release an updated version some time today.

Reply #93
Version 0.92 now out. See first post.

Reply #94
Filenames are correct now but special character AAC tags are still flawed in 0.92. I guess we'll just have to wait for a new version of faac.exe to arrive. Anyone know if these flaws are being addressed? So neither TAG nor faac support unicode?!

Reply #95
There may be a version of Faac that will fix this. John33 has compiled the latest version and was going to upload it soon.

Reply #97
Great. At least (almost*) everything is settled for non-unicode CD's.

* Any news of the non-tagged embedded cuesheet problem? Does anyone else have this problem? 
 EMBED_CUE=y 
EMBED_LOG=n
DELETE_CUE=n
DELETE_LOG=y

Reply #98
Great. At least (almost*) everything is settled for non-unicode CD's.

* Any news of the non-tagged embedded cuesheet problem? Does anyone else have this problem? 
 EMBED_CUE=y 
EMBED_LOG=n
DELETE_CUE=n
DELETE_LOG=y

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=270254"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm having the same problem. I'm trying to figure it out right now. I know this worked before. 

Reply #99
Okay I've got it working. Where I was supposed to read in the value for EMBED_CUE, I was reading in EMBED_LOG. Other good news too, Tag does support unicode. I was able to embed a cue sheet with special characters.

EDIT:
Version 0.93 is now available for download.