Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: tagging c/c++ code w/o moving meta? (Read 1966 times) previous topic - next topic

tagging c/c++ code w/o moving meta?

I'm writing some C++ code to add my own user-defined tags to .m4a's that were ripped by iTunes. The code I've found so far that can modify mp4 tags are faad2/mp4ff and mpeg4ip/libmp4v2_st60.

Both of these move the metadata to the end of the file. (Although mpeg4ip has an "optimize" method that can move it back to the beginning). I was hoping to find some C or C++ code that would take advantage of the 'free' atom that iTunes writes after the metadata to avoid wasting space in the file and/or file rewriting. Does anyone know of such a thing?

Are there any issues with iTunes being able to read files that were tagged with either of these libraries?

I ask because I've seen posts like this one that indicate iTunes may have problems with fb2k-replaygained  files. My reading of the fb2k code is that it uses faad2/mp4ff for tagging mp4 files.

Thanks for the help!

Dave