Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Real Cause of Low Audio Sales (Read 8678 times) previous topic - next topic

Real Cause of Low Audio Sales

Reply #25
Same story with cinema IMO, they only keep releasing new ones to boost popcorn sales...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=246349"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Haha  I'm loving it.....

I wonder how much online sales have filled the cd-store sales difference of these last few years of alleged decline.  If a large multi-nat company opens a very successful online store, should they be worried about a decrease in shop sales?

Reply #27
I remember reading somewhere that the music industry had it's biggest increase in music sales ever during the 90s.  This would make sense as during that time CDs were the only thing in the £10-15 disposable income price range.  And at the same time people would have been re-purchasing old music they already owned in the new format.

Now DVDs have come along, in the same price range and people are re-purchasing old films like they did with CDs.

So I would suggest that the music industry is suffering from a correction which any market suffers from at somepoint, especially after a boom.  Though I'm sure the internet has had an effect on sales, but I doubt that it is as bad as the RIAA would like us to believe.

Reply #28
Here are some facts to include in the quotation (so, its not all reasons, just some). To understand what influence the following points have on mainstream-music sales, one needs to remember that humans only have a limited amount of attention to spent on music. Also, when the press talks of "music sales", then they in reality mean "riaa-sales" - as if indie-labels aren't music.

- the internet and file-sharing has given indie-labels a great tool to get their music heard, which otherwise would be marginalized. This in turn has helped rise sales of independent labels. Sales of indie-labels had a fast increase over the previous years - thus, taking sales away from the majors.
- (a small amount of) people are now also downloading non-copyrighted music from net-artists
- the internet and also file-sharing has given artists a means to sell music without prostituting themselves to labels. Some people are making use of that.
- some people have stopped to buy CDs released by major labels, because of the actions of the major labels.

So, to make it short - more non-riaa music is heard nowadays. Additionally, some people have begun to boycott them. Both are good things imho.

In light of the above, as far as i know riaa-sales have had quite alot of luck - they could be much worse of nowadays. And if they don't begin to switch their head on, i asume they will be worse off.
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.