Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Encoding Recommendations? (Read 3707 times) previous topic - next topic

Encoding Recommendations?

Hello,

I have encoded my CD library about 3 years ago and have 40 GB.  Now, I've read a few articles that suggest that the WMA format is better than MP3.  If so, should I re-rip my entire CD collection?  (My portable player does support WMA.)  Or, should I wait for a new upcoming encoding technology?

thanks,

JPV
JPM!

Reply #1
First try getting yourself associated with the information presented in the FAQ.

When you've done that, let us know what you're trying to acheive. Bitrate's, format, do you require transparency? ...
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #2
Hello,

I have encoded my CD library about 3 years ago and have 40 GB.  Now, I've read a few articles that suggest that the WMA format is better than MP3.  If so, should I re-rip my entire CD collection?  (My portable player does support WMA.)  Or, should I wait for a new upcoming encoding technology?

thanks,

JPV
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=244115"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No! You'd better stick with MP3 rather than WMA (it's far inferior in comparison to the latest development of MP3 = read LAME presets).
You shoud look at F.A.Q. I'm highly recommending it!
Sorry for my poor English, I'm trying to get better... ;)
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Reply #3
In this case, the "listening tests" forum is also a good place. The recent high bitrate tests are not in the FAQ.

Reply #4
If so, should I re-rip my entire CD collection?  (My portable player does support WMA.)  Or, should I wait for a new upcoming encoding technology?

stay away from WMA, their quality are not the best
if you want to try new tech coding, go for AAC and OGG, just stay away from WMA!
AAC and OGG compability with other OSes are better too

Reply #5
I think that if they are ok for you know(I mean, you hear no difference  between all these encoded files and the originals), keep these mp3 and dont bother yourself into converting to another proprietary format.

It' not a matter of "wma is crap", it's just that you dont have a particular reason to reconvert all your collection in this format.

For portable usability, it's interesting to look formats that get good transparency at low bitrates so you can fit more songs in the player IMO. Try to encode some files in a variety of bitrates (and different formats too) and see what its best for you.
Alguém pare o mundo que eu quero descer!!

Reply #6
Either use m3 (LAME with the alt preset standard setting), or iTunes AAC (160kbps or over is transparent to most people).

Just my 2¢

Reply #7
If so, should I re-rip my entire CD collection?  (My portable player does support WMA.)  Or, should I wait for a new upcoming encoding technology?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=244115"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Re-ripping a whole collection to yet another lossy format in my opinion will cause the same dilemna in just a few more years, I think alot of us have been in that particular situation, me included.

I think not only you, but anyone would be better off ripping the collection to one of the lossless formats, hard drives are inexpensive nowadays therefore there's really not much of a reason to have a lossy format stored on a hard disk. By ripping to a lossless format there shouldn't be a need to have to rip from the CD's again. Converting from the lossless format to any lossy format you want to try out is alot faster than re-ripping each and everytime you want to dabble with a new codec. The good thing about lossless is you can convert to a lossy format that will playback in a portable device you own now, or those you'll own in the future. Furthermore if the CD becomes damaged you'll have an archival backup to re-create the audio CD.

Reply #8
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I've been using LAME --alt preset standard for a very long time, and my collection is in this format.  If I choose to go lossless, which format should I use?  I'm concerned with being able to play the lossless format on my PC, MAC and any popular media servers that come out in the next few years.

thanks,

JPV
JPM!