Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Which vorbis fork do you use

Xiph1.1 / AoTuV b2
[ 95 ] (65.5%)
GT3 b1
[ 4 ] (2.8%)
GT3 b2
[ 11 ] (7.6%)
QK 3.2
[ 0 ] (0%)
MegaMix II
[ 26 ] (17.9%)
Other
[ 9 ] (6.2%)

Total Members Voted: 243

Topic: Which vorbis fork do you use (Read 12125 times) previous topic - next topic

Reply #25
First off, they are not forks, you're talking about only a couple of changes in a small number of files.  They are more like branches.

Whoa. That's semantics for you 

Thirdly, Emmett, although it may just be your personal opinion it's hard to ignore the fact that you must have an obvious bias.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=243897"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

haha, look at the date in that link. What has happened to Xiph since then?

Reply #26
IMHO there's no problem at all with all this forking. As long as these forks do not require some special decoder, why would this be bad?

Forks are awesome, and need to happen once in a while for a codebase to stay active and relevant.

The question was about acceptance, not about quality of forks or experimental code. It is a lot easier to gain market acceptance if you have one official codebase for people to work from. The problem I currently see is that since the Xiph point-release doesn't look remotely official (due to lack of press release or a Windows build), it will be a harder sell on acceptance. That's what we were discussing.

Emmett

Reply #27
I tend to view forks nowadays as branches that become incompatible with each other, a bit like Unix.  In the case of the different tunings, they are all fully compatible with the official Vorbis decoder, so really, they haven't diverted away.  Most of them are tweaking of psychoacoustic values and patches to reduce certain problems.  But they're all based upon the same codebase and any new tunings I make from now on will be based, more or less, on Vorbis 1.1.

Reply #28
haha, look at the date in that link. What has happened to Xiph since then?

Well lets see.

They closed down their IRC server and moved back to freenode loosing half their IRC group.

They have only posted 9 Ogg Traffic's. By the way still no news of this vorbis point release on vorbis.com so really officially I don't know about it and if I didn't read it here on some 3rd party website I wouldn't.

There have been rumors about Monty not writing code anymore.

For the most part the followers and users of Ogg scream for the days of Emmett as CEO.

Reply #29
I've been still using GT3b2 cause I've chosen Q6 setting... (for a DAP seems quite convenient)
I may change for QK last build with the last advanced options (noise tune and impulse trigger) but I've to read some documentation I've just discovered theses "barbarian" swicths

Reply #30
this one is just to see what vorbis users are using
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=243665"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry but I'll go a little bit off-topic...

God, I don't really follow vorbis myself, but just browsing the poll choices and first couple of responses...

Vorbis development is a fucking disaster! It'll never catch on as long as people have to know this stuff! Come on Xiph, for shame!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=243734"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sure! I'm looking at it like you! I can compare it to the LAME discussion about the recommended compile 3.90.3 vs. 3.95.1 vs. 3.96.1 - very confusing and it seems that I'll go worse and worse... 

1.1rc1 with advanced switches performs similar to Megamix II. So most people consider Megamix II obsolete.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=243880"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't uderstand! Can you explain it? When MegaMix has to cover all the forks, why is it obsolete?

I tend to view forks nowadays as branches that become incompatible with each other, a bit like Unix.  In the case of the different tunings, they are all fully compatible with the official Vorbis decoder, so really, they haven't diverted away.  Most of them are tweaking of psychoacoustic values and patches to reduce certain problems.  But they're all based upon the same codebase and any new tunings I make from now on will be based, more or less, on Vorbis 1.1.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=243976"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sure! Like I said above... but I fear it'll go worse and worse... Worse than Lame or maybe Unix... 
Sorry for my poor English, I'm trying to get better... ;)
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Reply #31
Sorry, with LAME I mean HA recommened compile, not LAME in general because there's recommnded the latest release, of course!
Sorry for my poor English, I'm trying to get better... ;)
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Reply #32
I started to finalize my music library and I had a hard dithering whether I should base it on MP3 or Vorbis. The other formats were not considered for various reasons. I went for Vorbis. I like it. I like the nice tagging, good quality, etc. But I would like to make it successful.

Emmett is absolutely right.

The way I see it, these external tunings got accepted very slowly. The official Vorbis website is not updated and just does not have a good feel either. I find it madness that the main architect Monty is doing management job. It seems to me he is the only person who fully understand the code. He should stay in development, perhaps as a main architect.

Still, I think I made the right choice. I hope it stays that way.

Triza

Reply #33
I started to finalize my music library and I had a hard dithering whether I should base it on MP3 or Vorbis. The other formats were not considered for various reasons. I went for Vorbis. I like it. I like the nice tagging, good quality, etc. But I would like to make it successful.

Emmett is absolutely right.

The way I see it, these external tunings got accepted very slowly. The official Vorbis website is not updated and just does not have a good feel either. I find it madness that the main architect Monty is doing management job. It seems to me he is the only person who fully understand the code. He should stay in development, perhaps as a main architect.

Still, I think I made the right choice. I hope it stays that way.

Triza
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=244296"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

well said