Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Plextools, EAC discrepancy in track 1 pre-gap (Read 3852 times) previous topic - next topic

Plextools, EAC discrepancy in track 1 pre-gap

I'm attempting to backup my entire CD collection to FLAC files.

I've decided to go with the single image + cue sheet method, however I'd like to use Plextools to do the DAE (using the "Extract to single file" option) and EAC to create the cue sheet.  I know there's still some debate in these forums regarding Plextools vs EAC, but I have a recent Plextor drive (PX-708A) with good C2 support and Plextools is faster.

Here's the problem:

When creating an image file, Plextools always begins extracting from the start of track 1.  EAC begins extracting from 00:00.00.  For most discs it's the same thing but there are some discs (maybe 1 in 5) that have a pre-gap before track 1.  Plextools will not extract that data so the resulting image file won't *quite* line up with the track points in the cue sheet (if you skip to the next track it will jump past the beginning of the song a little bit.  Not much, but just enough to annoy me).

The only solution I've found is to manually subtract the number of frames in the pre-gap from all the tracks in the cue sheet.  Ouch.  There HAS to be an easier way.

Plextools has an option to change the start/end points of a track but it won't allow me to change track 1 to start at 00:00.00 (it gives me a warning but will not allow it.)

In EAC, I've tried changing some of the Gap options, but when I select Create Cue Sheet/Single WAV File, none of them seem to make a difference.

Has anyone else encountered this and found a better way around the problem?  (Hell, even a little utility that will fix the cue sheet automatically would be great).

Thanks.

Reply #1
I've had the exact same problem. The only solution seems to be to use EAC's WAV editor and add those extra frames. One frame is 588 samples.

Reply #2
Plextools Pro will always rip the first pregap as 2 seconds - no matter what the original length is.

If the first pregap is 02:32 seconds, 00:32 seconds (IIRC, in MSF format as frames) will be missing at the start of the image file. With any wav editor you could get rid of that.

BTW ... I do use the same procedure with the addition of ripping twice in Plextools ... one rip with my Premium, the other with my 712A. I then use EAC's wav compare to make sure there are no differences ...
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Reply #3
When creating an image file, Plextools always begins extracting from the start of track 1.  EAC begins extracting from 00:00.00.  For most discs it's the same thing but there are some discs (maybe 1 in 5) that have a pre-gap before track 1.  Plextools will not extract that data so the resulting image file won't *quite* line up with the track points in the cue sheet (if you skip to the next track it will jump past the beginning of the song a little bit.  Not much, but just enough to annoy me).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=244270"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I didn't realise this. I hope Plextor fix this in the future.

BTW ... I do use the same procedure with the addition of ripping twice in Plextools ... one rip with my Premium, the other with my 712A. I then use EAC's wav compare to make sure there are no differences ...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=244313"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I rip my CDs twice with Plextools too. I use an app called BFC (Binary File Compare) to do a comparison on a number of files in two seperate directories. No way I'd resort to using EACs compare wav feature on one wav at a time, that'd drive me nuts. 
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #4
Your drive must be able to overread into lead-in, yes Plextor can do it.

Next you must go through EAC and "append gaps to previous track" so the drive will overread into lead-in for that 32 frames and add them before the Index 01 of the first track.

I think this is a very simple solution unlike using wave editor to crate the 32 frames and manualy aading the before the first track...

Also you can edit cue-sheet to add a pregap of 32 frames like this:

Original:

PERFORMER "Megadeth"
TITLE "CountDown to Extinction (Reissue)"
FILE "01 - Skin O' My Teeth.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Skin O' My Teeth"
    PERFORMER "Megadeth"
    ISRC USCA20400615
    INDEX 01 00:00:00

Edited:

PERFORMER "Megadeth"
TITLE "CountDown to Extinction (Reissue)"
FILE "01 - Skin O' My Teeth.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Skin O' My Teeth"
    PERFORMER "Megadeth"
    ISRC USCA20400615
    PREGAP 00:00:32
    INDEX 01 00:00:00

I hope it will help you and I also hope I'll understand what I mean...

Edit: Grammar
Sorry for my poor English, I'm trying to get better... ;)
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Reply #5
Next you must go through EAC and "append gaps to previous track" so the drive will overread into lead-in for that 32 frames and add them before the Index 01 of the first track.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=244326"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Shit I corrupted my post...

There must be "append gaps to next track"... Sorry!
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Reply #6
Your drive must be able to overread into lead-in, yes Plextor can do it.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=244326"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not sure this approach will work in my case.  I'm doing single-image extracts.  Whenever I change the Gap options in EAC (Append gaps to previous or Append gaps to next), the resulting cue sheet is always the same when I Create cue sheet from single wav file.

The bottom line is that the wav file from Plextools is too short.

Reply #7
I'm not sure this approach will work in my case.  I'm doing single-image extracts.  Whenever I change the Gap options in EAC (Append gaps to previous or Append gaps to next), the resulting cue sheet is always the same when I Create cue sheet from single wav file.

The bottom line is that the wav file from Plextools is too short.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=244361"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It must work, in my case it works.

When you "append gaps to next track" the program (EAC) will read the pregap before the first track and read it correctly (if the reader can read into lead-in) as you wish.

Also you must generate cue sheet as "current gap settings" and allow the drive read into lead-in in the drive options. Actually I tried this with both my drives (TEACs), burner CD-W552E and DVD reader DV-516E, although both my drives have to read into lead-in, it worked only in my burner. The DVD read only silence (but there was a secret track 2:06 long)...

I can try to read a single track 01 with the option "append gaps to next track" and cut the pregap you want and save. Then open the pregap and append the image file (that has not the pregap included). Don't forget to edit the cue sheet the right way!

I think it's not an issue of software however, but a hardware problem...