Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Udf (Read 3013 times) previous topic - next topic

Udf

I use NERO to make CDRs. I would like to know the difference between ISO (level2, mode1) and UDF, which are both file system used in making CDR.
I know that there are some limitations in ISO file system:

Thanks.

Udf

Reply #1
Answer to all of your questions can be found from http://www.osta.org (the author of UDF) with a bit of searching.

For CD media, UDF is very highly geared towards CD-RW, but it can work with CD-Rs depending on the software. You can use either Mode 1 or Mode 2 form 1 with UDF, depends on the software. Works in perfect harmony with Win32, Unix, Mac and OS/2.

The following is from
http://www.osta.org/specs/pdf/102150diffs.pdf (describing UDF 1.5)

File Name Length: Maximum of 255 bytes
Maximum pathsize: Maximum of 1023 bytes

The character set used by UDF for the structures defined in this document is the
CS0 character set. The OSTA CS0 character set is defined as follows:
OSTA CS0 shall consist of the d-characters specified in the Unicode 1.1 standard
(excluding #FEFF and FFFE) stored in the OSTA Compressed Unicode format.

So, UDF is limited unicode. I guess filenames can be at least up to 127 characters since one Unicode character takes 2 bytes.

You also might want to consult your UDF software's (DirectCD, InCD) documentation.

Udf

Reply #2
A curse on Nero !

Originally posted by Aaron_Law
The file name can only be 8.3 format (ISO level1). 

You must enable Joliet to get 64 characters names.

2.The file name is limited to be 64 characters (ISO level 2) (So that I cut a long file name shorter when I burn a CDR). 
3.NO file name can be read under Linux if Jolite is enabled. (eg. abc.mp3 (in windows) => ___.mp3 (in Linux) )

I'm no expert, but I thought that Joliet should have no effect on Linux.
I rather think that Linux tries to read the level2 ISO, that is compatible with nothing to my knowledge, and therefore fails.
Always use Iso level 1 instead.

Is UDF uses mode1,which has ECC for preventing data unreadable? 

Beware that both mode 1 and mode 2 use ECC.
The burning mode without ECC is mode 2 form 2, used for VCDs. Nero can only burn audio and Video CDs without ECC. Any CD ROM, wether mode 1 or mode 2 (mode 2 form 1 is understood) will be burned with ECC in Nero.

I don't know the answers to the other questions.