Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CD-ROM not seeing CDs (Read 2843 times) previous topic - next topic

CD-ROM not seeing CDs

Someone burned a CD-R of his band's demo for me, and I want to rip it to my computer. However, I put it in my drive (a Creative 8X DVD drive) and the computer won't recognise it. I'll open up My Computer and click on the drive and it'll pop up "Please insert a CD". I don't have this problem with other CDs, just this one, and it plays fine in my car stereo. What's wrong, and is there any way around it?

CD-ROM not seeing CDs

Reply #1
I have this problem with some of my music CD's (original pressings) with my drive.  I put it in, and it thinks there isn't a CD in the drive at all.  I've got a Plextor PlexWriter 12/10/32A drive with latest firmware... I'd like to know how to fix that also.

CD-ROM not seeing CDs

Reply #2
A cd-r has i worse reflective layer then a pressed cd
mabye you laser in you "ancient" drive has gone dowb in strengh due to dust etc etc and cannot read the cd-r

or maybe he forgot to close the disc..dunno if thats need on a audio disc
Sven Bent - Denmark

CD-ROM not seeing CDs

Reply #4
isobuster works when windows recognises that there is a cd in the drive...if windows doesn't recognise it being in the drive, neither will this programme.

CD-ROM not seeing CDs

Reply #5
I used a laser lens cleaner on it, no good. =( Maybe I can ask him to burn another copy.

CD-ROM not seeing CDs

Reply #6
As far as i know, the only thing that can clean a laser pickup is air. No physical contact of any kind, specially those "lens cleaners" (i would rather call them "lens scratchers").

If your drive is old, consider getting a new one. He could try different CD-R brands too.
She is waiting in the air

CD-ROM not seeing CDs

Reply #7
audioflex: just because windows can't read the cd doesn't mean that the cd or the drive is bad, it could just be windows acting up. Some cd formats are not displayed/read correctly in explorer, that is where isobuster comes in- it 'overrides' the data/audio format reading errors.
example: track 1 - blank, track 2 - data/audio, sometimes when burned incorrectly windows will only read track 1 (blank), though a cddrive reads it raw, and thus plays it fine (though sometimes you will have to skip the first track on your cdplayer)

CD-ROM not seeing CDs

Reply #8
Isobuster says the CD is blank, which I know it isn't since it plays in my car.